Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 12:08 PM

29 posts, read 103,286 times

Advertisements

I live in Nassau county TOB-Massapequa and I have always had a dip in the middle of my front lawn. Most of my neighbors have the same thing and some have even told me that they add dirt to it every year because the dip goes lower. My town converted to sewers sometime in the 70s so I'm thinking that this is the old cesspool that was abated.

The other day I had kids playing football across the lawn and one boys leg went through the grass where the dip is. It revealed a 2 foot wide hole with the depth unknown (but seems very deep). Thank god no one fell through!!! My husband and I had rocks and concrete pieces from a old stoop in the back yard. We put in about 4 wheel barrows full of this stuff and it is getting swallowed up by the hole. It seems as if the hole is very deep. We don't know what else to do. Should I keep filling it with this stuff, get dirt, sand or cement?

I contacted my homeowners insurance and they told me that it is not covered by insurance. To me this is crazy that this is not covered. She told me to contact a cesspool company and have them come out for a estimate to fill the hole. I did that and I am waiting for a call back. Should I call my town??

has anyone had a similar problem? In my opinion this is going a problem for homeowners in the near future. most cesspools were converted to sewers about 40 years ago and with the settling of the ground there could be a huge danger for people.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 02:54 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Had this happen at my house when I was a kid, early 80's maybe?
Old man knew what it was, went and picked up a few yards of fill and the world was good again.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,057 times
Often people filled them with sticks, bricks, rocks, stumps etc. It decomposes/settles and you add fill. Easy fix.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:01 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Your local sand and gravel place can probably steer you for what you should use and will deliver it. It's a pain, though, wheelbarrowing those multiple tons of stone to fill it up.

You might be looking at 10 feet, no deeper.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:16 PM

29 posts, read 103,286 times
Having kids and constantly walking on the lawn we decided to have it excavated and filled in right. this will fill any voids and help with settling. The hole is definitely very deep. I was lucky no one fell completely through and don't want to worry anytime someone is in my lawn.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Surprised we don't hear of mailmen falling through more often since they are supposed to cut through everyone's lawns for their routes.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:50 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
OP how much is this costing you?

Old 09-28-2015, 08:42 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaborti View Post
I live in Nassau county TOB-Massapequa and I have always had a dip in the middle of my front lawn. Most of my neighbors have the same thing and some have even told me that they add dirt to it every year because the dip goes lower. My town converted to sewers sometime in the 70s so I'm thinking that this is the old cesspool that was abated.

The other day I had kids playing football across the lawn and one boys leg went through the grass where the dip is. It revealed a 2 foot wide hole with the depth unknown (but seems very deep). Thank god no one fell through!!! My husband and I had rocks and concrete pieces from a old stoop in the back yard. We put in about 4 wheel barrows full of this stuff and it is getting swallowed up by the hole. It seems as if the hole is very deep. We don't know what else to do. Should I keep filling it with this stuff, get dirt, sand or cement?

I contacted my homeowners insurance and they told me that it is not covered by insurance. To me this is crazy that this is not covered. She told me to contact a cesspool company and have them come out for a estimate to fill the hole. I did that and I am waiting for a call back. Should I call my town??

has anyone had a similar problem? In my opinion this is going a problem for homeowners in the near future. most cesspools were converted to sewers about 40 years ago and with the settling of the ground there could be a huge danger for people.

Thanks.
I had the same issue a few years ago. Lucky I was able to fill in the cesspool myself. The cesspool was already filled but the dirt inside settled over the years so I just had to top it off. I got a quote to fill in a cesspool and it was either $600 or $900.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: