Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 03:45 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,209,932 times

Advertisements

If anyone knows someone looking for a rental apt. on LI you know how bad the housing market is for rentals. They are holding a press conference regarding this matter today in Hauppauge at 10AM. During the press conference they are suppose to updating about a Craigslist rental scam that someone by the name Joseph Fernandez was running. He stole $10,000 + from would-be tenants. He was busted. Read details in the link I provided for all the details. He was arrested in Sept. but was let out. He continued to do this & was arrested again last December. If you or anyone you know recognizes him & might have been another victim that is not aware that he was apprehended please call the number in the link I am providing.

This just 1 of the many scams that are out there.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/12/...l-scam-arrest/

http://patch.com/new-york/sachem/man...-rental-scam-0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 06:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
This guy deserves a bullet to the head. What a worthless POS.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:14 AM

562 posts, read 1,059,020 times
My friend was one of those known half dozen renters. It was a pretty terrible time for her.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:48 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,049 times
Sounds like a trip behind the woodshed would better serve society than a simple fine and three years probation.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
My friend was one of those known half dozen renters. It was a pretty terrible time for her.
So Sorry that your friend was a victim of him. and there are more that have not yet come forward yet. That is the reason I posted this. Hoping more will come forward so they can pile on more charges to keep the guy from doing this again & maybe keep him locked up longer!!

Old 02-29-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Sounds like a trip behind the woodshed would better serve society than a simple fine and three years probation.
Agree! Especially since he was arrested 2x for the same thing. Three years probation will not stop him from continuing to do this again.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
This guy deserves a bullet to the head. What a worthless POS.

Well, NO, he does not deserve a bullet to the head. Last I heard, minor scamming doesn't merit a death penalty.

But I'd be very interested in reading a detailed article on this. Everyone knows you have to be cautious with CL, so I wonder if the people who were scammed were stupidly flaky.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, NO, he does not deserve a bullet to the head. Last I heard, minor scamming doesn't merit a death penalty.

But I'd be very interested in reading a detailed article on this. Everyone knows you have to be cautious with CL, so I wonder if the people who were scammed were stupidly flaky.
I posted link to 2 articles. It is being updated now & they are looking for more possible victims still as they know there are more. As for the people that were scammed...well there is a very simple answer for that.

The victims for the most part can NOT find apartment rentals on LI that are affordable. The affordable ones are either in bad neighborhoods. Or are illegal basement apts. That the LL has all sorts of restrictive & some very silly rules they impose on those renters. They all say they only want 1 person. No kids or pets allowed.Some even say no parking for CARS! YES they do that because they do not want the neighbors to get pissed & report their illegal basement apt to the town.

As for the people that fall for it. They are DESPERATE! And the scammers know that! Many are poor. Have little to no $$. Have very poor credit & criminal records. All that keeps them from being able to get a good decent & legitimate legal apt. And the SCAMMERS that do this know that. They prey upon those people. Saying we would be willing to rent to you without doing any checks if you pay us CASH now.And these people give them the CASH right away.There are many around not just this one that was caught. No one wants to rent to someone with bad or NO credit history or if their background check shows any criminal activity. Can't say I blame them really.

There are many more. Here is another one. But there are hundreds if not thousands of people doing this as they know they can make fast easy cash. Woman Responding to Craigslist Rental Finds Out Real Estate Agent Under Impersonation, Arrest Made | LongIsland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island