Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:51 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,750,366 times

Advertisements

To fellow LI'ers,
Well we got off cheap for a couple years, but $4 gas looks like it's coming back. Boycott it if you can, use public transportation, LIRR and LIBus.

Oil spiked from $85 to $100 within 3 days on the mess in Libya, add about $0.35 to the price you see today and that's what it will likely be by Friday night. Go fill'er up while she's cheap and don't drive as much, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,172,669 times
Public transportation doesn't work in my line of work, just adds to my expenses

Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,422,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
To fellow LI'ers,
Well we got off cheap for a couple years, but $4 gas looks like it's coming back. Boycott it if you can, use public transportation, LIRR and LIBus.

Oil spiked from $85 to $100 within 3 days on the mess in Libya, add about $0.35 to the price you see today and that's what it will likely be by Friday night. Go fill'er up while she's cheap and don't drive as much, if possible.
Sorry, that boycott has to wait in line until we're at $8/gal., first up-- boycott the high taxes!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Public transportation doesn't work in my line of work, just adds to my expenses
sorry Elke, maybe on non-work trips hit the LIRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Sorry, that boycott has to wait in line until we're at $8/gal., first up-- boycott the high taxes!
Unfortunately, there's no way to boycott the high taxes. Our dollars get less "MPG" every year in that regard.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,422,445 times
Unfortunately, there's no way to boycott the high taxes. Our dollars get less "MPG" every year in that regard.[/quote]

LOL But I guess that takes us over to the other thread here: Can wisconsin happen here-- well boycott the public unions right to ramp up salaries to nose bleed levels and you'll get better MPG on taxes., no?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,119,659 times
Don't worry. We're "investing" in the green technology - solar.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,802,012 times
Hello Pequa-

I'm afraid that each of us is destined to just grin and bear it. Like our shores and beaches have been eroding, one day at a time, so then,
has been our standard of living. Not so many years ago, I bought rationed gas, the odd-even system of using the digits on your license plate
in order to shape-up in the gas line. There was a 5 dollar or 5 gallon limit to your purchase, it was sometime around 1974 and I do remember
accounts of violence between those who waited their turn on the gas line and those who jumped the line. I use my car, only to transport my
daughter to and from her job. I bought the Hyundai, (our only car) because it offered the best mileage, 24 in the city, 28-30 on the highway.
I never filled the tank, always buying ten dollars worth of gas on every other alternate day. in the days of the gas crunch, I drove a thirsty
Dynamic 88', an Oldsmobile, a guzzler by any other name. When we were fat, 10 miles to the gallon was never a worry with me. Corporate
America was cruising along, getting fat on whatever markup that they could make on gasoline, we hardly cared. I am surprised that in light of
this gas crunch, our government hasn't stepped-in, offered a measure of compensation to us users, the ones who commute to work so that we
can productively pay the taxes that keep our government afloat.

Our dependence on oil is widely known. We need oil to ensure our existence, stop the flow of oil and you've defeated us. We're classically,
"laid-back", expecting that since the world revolves around us, we can't fail as a nation or a people or even as the individuals that we are.
Big wheels keep on turning, a generation continues yearning, we need to break this relationship that we have with oil, our dependency on it,
it's control over our lives, it's importance in view of the days gone by when life seemed to be simpler, our anxieties much fewer and even our
very lives were free of the nagging distraction of a daily bombardment of bummed out news, always negative, never uplifting, a daily bath in
some media slant, brewed up with on-line cures and club membership plans. We'll always need to be mobile, to move from place to place and
until we have become progressive enough to solve our own energy problems. I have held hope that one day or another,we'd all begin to get
along, we'd agree on the fact that we are all here on the planet, each having a right to life and a reason to live that life.

Whether it is gasoline, oil, or even food, as we continue to struggle against a changing world and the redefining of values, we are bound
to continue our ways, to live life, as if we had no tomorrow, no accounting to make for the days, and the falsely assumed notion that we,
as Americans, are still a privleged class. America has outlived it's reputation, it is no longer the land of milk and honey. I've had to get used
to this concept, how are you taking it? When you stop to consider that our two most precious possessions are the home and the car, often,
it frightens me to realize that we could find ourselves in financial disaster, all the result of rising oil prices and the industries that are affected.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Hello Pequa- ...
A dynamic 88, that is pimp Eddie! Great story. You need to find a tune on youtube, to allow readers to listen to, while reading your posts.

Energy-the ultimate weapon used to control the masses. I'm probably going to grin and 'beer it', like the other energy hogs on this planet. When it gets to $8/gallon and $10 a loaf, I'll probably stay home and start smoking weed again, lol.

Seriously though; We have had a few supreme beings on this Earth. It seems one per millennium - The Buddha in BC, J.C. @ AD, Nikola Tesla in the last millennium. I wonder sometimes if the Wardenclyffe Tower concept, right in our backyard in Shoreham, Long Island, New York, ever came to fruition, what would the world would be like today?

Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM

94 posts, read 256,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
A dynamic 88, that is pimp Eddie! Great story. You need to find a tune on youtube, to allow readers to listen to, while reading your posts.

Energy-the ultimate weapon used to control the masses. I'm probably going to grin and 'beer it', like the other energy hogs on this planet. When it gets to $8/gallon and $10 a loaf, I'll probably stay home and start smoking weed again, lol.

Seriously though; We have had a few supreme beings on this Earth. It seems one per millennium - The Buddha in BC, J.C. @ AD, Nikola Tesla in the last millennium. I wonder sometimes if the Wardenclyffe Tower concept, right in our backyard in Shoreham, Long Island, New York, ever came to fruition, what would the world would be like today?
I know they are looking at his ideas on a smaller scale to charge cell phones, cars and the like..I did a research paper on this for my graduate studies (I used a company called Powercast)

Ive seriously been reconsidering trading in my current family car for a Hybrid but we dont do that much driving so I dont really benefit (NOW)

Looks like my Hot rod will stay in Winter storage for another season though (Predicting 5 bucks for 93 this summer) and at 7MPG City and 13HWY you can see why

Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,690,999 times
It seems we are conditioned to rising gas prices here so to most it will matter little,a shame but a fact.MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island