Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:29 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,870,958 times

Advertisements

Would anyone know how Stony Brook Hospital compares vs. private hospitals in the NCY area like Langone, North Shore U, Sloan Kettering, Columbia in terms of: (a) Quality of treatment (surgery, radiation, physician capabilities, etc.), and (b) Getting the most out patient advocacy (ie., getting the most out of Medicaid or Medicaid affiliates like Healthfirst, Emblem, etc.). In terms of patient advocacy, would it be correct to assume that Stony Brook might be more generous/less stingy about securing a broader range of services because it is a public hospital?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,521 times
Best chance to beat cancer? Sloan. period.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Best chance to beat cancer? Sloan. period.
Could be, but Sloan might stick the patient with a much higher bill (ie, less reimbursements from Medicaid or Healthfirst) as well as withold other supporting services. Or if they can, patient would have to fight hard to get it. Not really sure.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:03 AM

414 posts, read 911,970 times
Sloan has a nice branch in Commack for treatment/outpatient care (tests, chemo, follow-ups, etc), although all surgery is done in their NYC hospital.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:27 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Could be, but Sloan might stick the patient with a much higher bill (ie, less reimbursements from Medicaid or Healthfirst) as well as withold other supporting services. Or if they can, patient would have to fight hard to get it. Not really sure.
eh...it's only your life.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:55 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Sloan has a nice branch in Commack for treatment/outpatient care (tests, chemo, follow-ups, etc), although all surgery is done in their NYC hospital.
I second Sloan. If you are looking for recs for a gyn-onc, I can recommend mine at MSKCC. My staging surgery for borderline ovarian cancer was done at MSK in Manhattan last year and the treatment I rec'd there was really top notch. The surgery was preventive and what was found, was indeed caught very early thank goodness so I didn't need chemo. My follow ups are at the Commack center. I had initially undergone surgery at Winthrop and the differences between Winthrop and MSKCC were night and day. MSK may bill higher fees, but the service/quality reflects that.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:00 PM

/\/\

How far were the differences with mskcc? If you were not insured, how much would surgery and radiation have cost? Too bad for those on healthfirst only!

Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

How far were the differences with mskcc? Too bad for those on healthfirst only!

Pre-op testing options, attentiveness of staff, paperwork handling (billing), facilities (at Winthrop I was left for hours in pain post-surgery begging for painkillers vs. at MSK where they immediately put a port before surgery where I could just push a button and drugs would go straight through an IV into my bloodstream). I slept through my recovery stay there. I also had nurses at MSK checking on me every 2-4 hours.

At Winthrop, I had to press call buttons various times to get anyone's attention. I also was placed in a room with barely adequate lighting, by a door, with a roommate, etc. None of that was told to me at pre-op testing. Pre=op testing also had my paperwork wrong (had me scheduled w/ a different surgeon). At MSKCC, my pre-op testing was more thorough and covered every possibility I didn't even think of. Winthrop's nurses were also hit and miss. I had a mix of decent nurses and a few bad apples (one barely read my chart to address my needs). My experience: staying at Winthrop v MSK was like the difference between staying at Comfort Inn vs. a Hilton/Sheraton.

As far as costs are concerned, I have insurance through my job (Empire BCBS out of state) which I am told is very good. I have had CT scans and MRIs and Winthrop outsources some radiology testing to Zwanger-Pesiri while all radiation at MSK is done at their facilities. What they bill for the scans depends on what rate they negotiate with a particular plan as I remember paying only $100 for an MRI out of pocket at Winthrop vs. $600 for same at MSKCC. Its a lot more $$ but when it comes to cancer, I value my health more than my pocketbook!

Old 03-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Now I'm concerned with recommending SBU or even North Shore U both which accept Healthfirst Medicaid. Person might check in as a patient and check out in a box!

Old 03-07-2016, 01:54 PM

481 posts, read 666,453 times
Does sloan take healthfirst? From the site

https://www.mskcc.org/insurance-assi...icare-medicaid

it said only EmblemHealth......( I want to find out too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: