Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:21 PM

26 posts, read 40,308 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Would like to hear some feedback from folks in the SD. Currently in Commack schools but looking to move to Dix Hills with HHH schools. Have been told that the integration with wyndanch makes HHH schools not as good as Commack ones. Any feedback from people with kids in the HS or experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 05:32 PM

592 posts, read 919,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeastoftinagra View Post
Hello,

Would like to hear some feedback from folks in the SD. Currently in Commack schools but looking to move to Dix Hills with HHH schools. Have been told that the integration with wyndanch makes HHH schools not as good as Commack ones. Any feedback from people with kids in the HS or experience?
Integration with Wyndanch? Huh?

Old 04-10-2016, 06:18 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeastoftinagra View Post
Hello,

HHH has not integrated with Wyandanch AT ALL.

Whoever gave you that information is malicious and uninformed racist trash. That person was probably referring to Wheatley Heights, which is a very diverse area that has *always* been apart of the HHH school district. The minority parents there are also concerned professional and middle class people that sought out this district for the same reason as everybody else: the schools and a nice/safe environment to raise their kids in.

HHH is a top rated and performing district; and probably the only top district on Long Island where your child can get exposed to a wide variety of ethnic groups without major class barriers. That is a true novelty and I'm sure a lot of people are jealous of that.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-10-2016 at 06:56 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
HHH has not integrated with Wyandanch AT ALL.

Whoever gave you that information is malicious and uninformed racist trash. That person was probably referring to Wheatley Heights, which is a very diverse area that has *always* been apart of the HHH school district. The minority parents there are also concerned middle class and professional people that sought out this district for the same reason as everybody else: the schools and a nice/safe environment to raise their kids in.

HHH is a top rated and performing district; and probably the only top district on Long Island where your child can get exposed to a wide variety of ethnic groups without major class barriers. That is a true novelty and I'm sure a lot of people are jealous of that. Most of the other top districts on LI that are somewhat diverse are only diverse b/c of a housing project being forced on the area (RVC, Great Neck/Manhasset, Roslyn Hts); this has often led to both racial and class tensions since it's not a natural diversity like what HHH has.
Don't Syosset and Jericho have large minority populations? They are considered excellent districts. I don't know if they have housing projects - to the extent that matters.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Don't Syosset and Jericho have large minority populations? They are considered excellent districts. I don't know if they have housing projects - to the extent that matters.
By diversity, I meant areas having a notable non-white and non-asian presence. Syosset and Jericho have very few non-whites&asians according to data.

And just to clarify one thing on my original post before I get called out on it, I know that not every minority (black/hispanic) family in RVC, Great Neck/Manhasset and Roslyn come from struggling backgrounds but a large portion come from subsidized-housing.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-10-2016 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 07:10 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
No but Roslyn does (yes they have projects), and it's no issue. RVC, too I believe.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:19 PM

And the way that I look at it, top districts that have low-diversity will soon be targeted by government agencies to build affordable housing that is designed to attract people from struggling backgrounds. Garden City is the most notable example of this and I don't see why Commack won't be next.

It's better to already have natural diversity where most of the minorities are already middle class and affluent; as opposed to the government targeting your town to dump a bunch of welfare recipients/section 8'ers there to meet a diversity quota.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:31 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
By diversity, I meant areas having a notable non-white and non-asian presence. Syosset and Jericho have very few non-whites&asians according to data.

And just to clarify one thing on my original post before I get called out on it, I know that not every minority (black/hispanic) family in RVC, Great Neck/Manhasset and Roslyn come from struggling backgrounds but a large portion come from subsidized-housing.
Got it. Kind of a particular definition of diverse. By your definition Hempstead and Wyandanch are diverse. Not sure I agree. Did you mean to include whites as a component of your definition of diversity?

So Syosset and Jericho - despite large white and various Asian populations - by your construction are not diverse. Not sure I agree.

You seem to imply that the type and economic background of the HHH non-whites and non-Asians might qualify this sort of HHH diversity as better than even some other similarly sized non-white non Hispanic diversity in other districts. We all have different opinions and that is certainly one.

I guess by highlighting a particular, personal and highly nuanced idea of diversity as extraordinarily valuable, one can construct as scenario wherein HHH is simply the best.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
The person means that some part of Wyandanch is in the HHH school district. So there might be a brown person or two in school with their special snowflake!

Old 04-11-2016, 04:42 AM

I didn't use a "personal definition" of diversity; whenever I heard the term "diversity" being used in the context of education, it was referring to the extent that the so-called "underrepresented minorities" were included with Whites and Asians.

I don't think any type of diversity is "better" than the other [that's subjective]; but some types of diverse areas are definitely much more rare on LI. Since the type of diversity that HHH has is so rare for top districts on LI then I guess you can say that it is extremely special/valuable BUT that alone shouldn't downplay how special the diversity in those other school systems are.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-11-2016 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island