Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM

10 posts, read 22,851 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]HelloAll,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I heard Deer Park is a good neighborhood totransition into from Queens since it’s a very diverse area and the schooldistrict is pretty good. We are still a pretty young couple (37 yrs old) wehave 2 kids, 14 and 10, and we are very active. I'm looking to hear from peoplethat live on Long Island since you're in the mix, different from me, anoutsider looking in.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]- How are the schools? (Robert Frost & DPhigh school)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]- What are the bad areas of Deer Park? (Ihear westside is better than eastside, North of the track is better than theSouth, and vice versa)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]- DP LIRR are there parking available after 8am?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]- How often is the LIRR not on time to PennStation? (people have been scaring me about this)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]- Why are the taxes so dam high? (is theresomething other than the star program to lower it) lol I kinda know the answerto that one but you never know...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]Thank you very much for your time.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Rob[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:55 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Any reason why you are attracted to Deer Park? If you are looking in Suffolk, wouldn't you be better off in Babylon where there is an express? I had an ex-coworker who lives in Brightwaters near Babylon and he seems to like it there.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:15 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,160 times
Deer Park is good. It's not really THAT diverse but it's diverse enough where you can get a taste of every culture. Would especially recommend the part within the Half Hollow Hills SD.

When it comes to Deer Park, I think it's fine all around.

I would say some parts on&near Bay Shore Rd can definitely be kinda bleh'ish; but I still wouldn't call it a bad area. I would say the area near Old Country Rd is the nicest lookswise.

Taxes are going to be high in pretty all of Long Island. Get used to it b/c i'm sure Deer Park still has lower taxes than most other LI taxes.

btw: I would also recommend Babylon Village.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:18 PM

Default Thanks

I heard the Babylons were one of the places to stay away from... Some people have told me its in line with Wyndach & Nort Amittyville. Not so?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 PM

[SIZE=5]Forest_Hills_Daddy[/SIZE]
I feel Deer Park has a bigger bang for the buck as well as I heard the babylons weren't good areas. I will check it out.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by about2buy View Post
I heard the Babylons were one of the places to stay away from... Some people have told me its in line with Wyndach & Nort Amittyville. Not so?
Whoever said that has no idea what they're talking about at all.

Babylon Village is actually one of the most desirable places on Long Island and one of the few places on LI that manages to attract tons of young professionals; countless people rave about it. North Babylon and West Babylon, though not quite as nice as Babylon Village, are still pretty decent and not bad places by any stretch of the imagination.

lol, they've been in the news in the past few months for a few isolated weird stuff; but I still wouldn't condemn the towns for that. They're still overwhelmingly made up of everyday ordinary middle class ppl.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 06-16-2014 at 06:53 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Whoever said that has no idea what they're talking about at all.

Babylon Village is actually one of the most desirable places on Long Island and one of the few places on LI that manages to attract tons of young professionals; countless people rave about it. North Babylon and West Babylon, though not quite as nice as Babylon Village, are still pretty decent and not bad places by any stretch of the imagination.

lol, they've been in the news in the past few months for a few isolated weird stuff; but I still wouldn't condemn the towns for that. They're still overwhelmingly made up of everyday ordinary middle class ppl.
lol, on the last 2 sentences. I will check them out too.

But, Deer Park over all is a descent neighborhood then? I have done research and had a few pass by's and all seems good but many things look good on the surface.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
But, Deer Park over all is a descent neighborhood then? I have done research and had a few pass by's and all seems good but many things look good on the surface.
DP is not bad (at least not yet), but there are other neighborhoods in LI that would better serve the interests of an NYC commuter moving from Queens. Look at Bellmore, Massapequa, Mass Park, Valley Stream Village, Merrick and Babylon. I take it the daily commute from DP will be hard.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
lol, on the last 2 sentences. I will check them out too.

you should also take into account Deer Park Avenue traffic. It can be rough especially since they built the new mall. There's some good threads, i'd recommend searching more of the forum.

good luck

Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,432 times
There is no issue with DP avenue traffic. I live in DP and deal with all of that and there is no problem. DP is very diverse. The people are very welcoming and you won't generally have any issues with the area. You have access to all the beaches in Babylon and you're in between two highways. Forest Hills the Babylon branch has it's draw back because there is no parking. You have to wait 3 years for a parking spot in Babylon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island