Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:45 PM

14 posts, read 14,031 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a house, nothing too large, with a nice size property for my dog, a garage for my hobbies and a nice garden space.

I work in East Meadow, but off shift, so not sure how that affects traffic and travel.

As a 55/SWM I'm fine with some diversity, but I dont want to be the only one speaking English or the only one with Christmas lights up (and prefer the neighbors didnt leave thiers up all year!) and might even like to feel safe in the place where I live. Tall order, but no one said it would be easy..

So, Ronk and nearby areas, Medford/Farmingville/Patch area? Not looking to really go too far north of 495 (like 25) because of commute.

I really didnt want to go as far as Medford, but it seems like nice property sizes.. can anyone shed some "current" light on these areas- a lot of threads I've seen are kinda old.

J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 02:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Have you considered Islip Terrace?

Old 04-21-2016, 03:05 PM

Yes, I have, as well as a small area of Bay Shore (up north of Peter Pan diner as far north as maybe Fire Rd.)
The bigger properties out east are so much more tempting though, lol

Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgtech2006 View Post
Yes, I have, as well as a small area of Bay Shore (up north of Peter Pan diner as far north as maybe Fire Rd.)
The bigger properties out east are so much more tempting though, lol
What do you consider bigger? There are some good sized properties in IT if you look north east of the SSP.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:55 PM

I like some of I.T.- I saw a nice F/C up on Greenlawn Ave just about across from the church. It had a nice piece of property, woods across the street and the houses on either side looked to be taken care of. It was a bit close to Lowell, but not bad. I was too late on it though, it already went to contract when I saw it.
I'm not really opposed to TOO many areas, I just sort of like having big property and not being too close to neighbors, but thats not a deal breaker.

As far as actual size goes, 40x100 aint cuttin it, but if a house had all else I wanted, 80x100 might be around the smallest I'd be really happy with, but it really DOES depend on a lot of other things. And for my small-ish budget, I may be looking a long time!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:

As far as actual size goes, 40x100 aint cuttin it, but if a house had all else I wanted, 80x100 might be around the smallest I'd be really happy with, but it really DOES depend on a lot of other things. And for my small-ish budget, I may be looking a long time!
So what is your budget? Makes it easier to make suggestions

Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 PM

Ive been pre approved for 250K mtg, but im looking to stay closer to a 200K sale price or so, since its only me and I dont want to work an extra job just to keep my head above water.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I like some of I.T.- I saw a nice F/C up on Greenlawn Ave just about across from the church. It had a nice piece of property, woods across the street and the houses on either side looked to be taken care of. It was a bit close to Lowell, but not bad. I was too late on it though, it already went to contract when I saw it.
I'm not really opposed to TOO many areas, I just sort of like having big property and not being too close to neighbors, but thats not a deal breaker.

I had lived on Greenlawn near Floral Park Street for a few years. It has been a while, but we didn't have any issues with Lowell. My friend was on Oceanside St -- that was okay then, but a little too close to the fork.

As for property size, you're talking about less than a quarter acre.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:14 PM

I think this was by Sea Cliff St... but really, as far as property goes. I just really dont want to be stuffed in with my neighbors. I make use of my smoker and BBQ quite a bit, I enjoy working on my car in the garage, I would like to haveva few fruit trees and area to plant veggies and tomatos. So, really, for me a good size yard is as important as anything else.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I think this was by Sea Cliff St... but really, as far as property goes. I just really dont want to be stuffed in with my neighbors. I make use of my smoker and BBQ quite a bit, I enjoy working on my car in the garage, I would like to haveva few fruit trees and area to plant veggies and tomatos. So, really, for me a good size yard is as important as anything else.
You're going to need a lot more than 80x100 if you're considering using a smoker. Your budget and your property needs are going to severely limit you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island