Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:48 PM

109 posts, read 96,144 times

Advertisements

Another bit of trivia on 3v/Smtw schools that i didn't realize until I was chatting with my son's tutor. 3v is very diverse by having both Stony Brook Univ. & SB Medical Center within its district lines. Many come from overseas to either study or work. Therefore while out and about 3V you can hear many different languages and see different races mainly asian while SMTW is lily white, 99% caucasian. There's a Norwegian club and Sons of Italy.

Again don't forget about PJ and Hauppauge which have a greater % of school funding by the local business districts. There's a PJ elem. school that has a pool and one year PJ had so much $$ in their budget that each graduating 5th grader received their own personal laptop! Its a very small school distr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 PM

109 posts, read 96,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
How exactly is it set up for a pool? When was this pool proposed? By 4 gyms, I'm guessing you are referring to the main gym, the auxiliary gym, the wrestling room, and the weight room? Or is there also a separate dance room?
When you drive up to HSE one of the gyms is off by itself, has both boys and girls locker rooms and would easily fit a 25 meter pool. So if you were to open the pool to the community for lessons and public swimming to generate extra revenue, which most school pools do, you wouldn't need to walk through the rest of the school. I'm not sure of the names of each of the rooms but when you go inside there are 4 large separate gyms all high ceiling with hardwood floors, not including weight room. My HS, also a large HS only had one maybe two gyms. Why does a school with about 2,000 students need 4 gyms? Keep in mind they don't even have a boys gymnastics team, there's only girls gymnastics.

I believe there's a similar set up at HSW with many gyms, at least 3, possibly 4.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:22 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
When you drive up to HSE one of the gyms is off by itself, has both boys and girls locker rooms and would easily fit a 25 meter pool. So if you were to open the pool to the community for lessons and public swimming to generate extra revenue, which most school pools do, you wouldn't need to walk through the rest of the school. I'm not sure of the names of each of the rooms but when you go inside there are 4 large separate gyms all high ceiling with hardwood floors, not including weight room.

Are you sure that there are 4 gyms? Where is this 4th gym that you are talking about? Your post makes it sound like a separate building, but I don't see it in the street view.

I do remember 3 gyms. The main gym, the auxiliary gym (or was it called the old gym?), and in between the 2, I forget if it was called the "middle gym" or the "center gym". But that was a smaller gym that, if I remember right, was usually used as a wrestling room or a dance room. I also seem to remember that when the stands in the main gym were open, it blocked the main entrance to the main gym, so you had to cut through the center gym.

Where in the aerial view is this 4th gym? If you look at an aerial view of the building (10 School Street, St. James), the gyms are in the southwest corner of the building, in an area that has a different color roof. The southernmost section, with the roof twice as high, is the main gym. Directly north of that is the center gym. Further north, the other area with the higher roof is the auxiliary gym. The area to the west is the boys' locker room; the area to the east is the girls' locker room. I assume I'm remembering right; I haven't been in that building since 1993.

Are you also saying that this 4th gym has a separate set of locker rooms? I only remember 1 set of locker rooms.

For what it's worth, a document on the Smithtown school district website that lists the room utilization for each building claims that HS East has 2.5 gyms. Presumably that counts the main and auxiliary gyms each as 1, and the center gym as half. But where does this alleged 4th gym fit into that?

Do you know for sure that this 4th gym actually exists, and that it was seriously intended as a pool? Or was that just a rumor that seniors told freshmen? At HS West, the rumor was that a pool was intended to be above the library, but that was obviously not true. At HS East, the rumor was that there was supposed to be a pool on the 4th floor (the building only has 3 floors, but there are stairways leading to the roof).

Quote:
My HS, also a large HS only had one maybe two gyms. Why does a school with about 2,000 students need 4 gyms? Keep in mind they don't even have a boys gymnastics team, there's only girls gymnastics.

I believe there's a similar set up at HSW with many gyms, at least 3, possibly 4.
HS West has a main gym and an auxiliary gym on the 2nd floor. Below that, I remember there being a weight room, a wrestling room, and a dance room, although I do not remember if the wrestling and dance rooms were the same room or separate. Unlike the center gym at HS East, these were not rooms with hardwood floors and high ceilings. That 1st floor area with the weight room, wrestling room, and dance room was clearly added later than the rest of the building. It looked completely different from any other area of the building, and you had to go through an unmarked door to get to it, and it wasn't even shown on the building map.

The room utilization report shows only 2 gyms for HS West. So it seems that the wrestling and dance rooms don't count. Or I wonder if perhaps those rooms have been repurposed for some other use.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:36 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Are you sure that there are 4 gyms? Where is this 4th gym that you are talking about? Your post makes it sound like a separate building, but I don't see it in the street view.

I do remember 3 gyms. The main gym, the auxiliary gym (or was it called the old gym?), and in between the 2, I forget if it was called the "middle gym" or the "center gym". But that was a smaller gym that, if I remember right, was usually used as a wrestling room or a dance room. I also seem to remember that when the stands in the main gym were open, it blocked the main entrance to the main gym, so you had to cut through the center gym.

Where in the aerial view is this 4th gym? If you look at an aerial view of the building (10 School Street, St. James), the gyms are in the southwest corner of the building, in an area that has a different color roof. The southernmost section, with the roof twice as high, is the main gym. Directly north of that is the center gym. Further north, the other area with the higher roof is the auxiliary gym. The area to the west is the boys' locker room; the area to the east is the girls' locker room. I assume I'm remembering right; I haven't been in that building since 1993.

Are you also saying that this 4th gym has a separate set of locker rooms? I only remember 1 set of locker rooms.

For what it's worth, a document on the Smithtown school district website that lists the room utilization for each building claims that HS East has 2.5 gyms. Presumably that counts the main and auxiliary gyms each as 1, and the center gym as half. But where does this alleged 4th gym fit into that?

Do you know for sure that this 4th gym actually exists, and that it was seriously intended as a pool? Or was that just a rumor that seniors told freshmen? At HS West, the rumor was that a pool was intended to be above the library, but that was obviously not true. At HS East, the rumor was that there was supposed to be a pool on the 4th floor (the building only has 3 floors, but there are stairways leading to the roof).

HS West has a main gym and an auxiliary gym on the 2nd floor. Below that, I remember there being a weight room, a wrestling room, and a dance room, although I do not remember if the wrestling and dance rooms were the same room or separate. Unlike the center gym at HS East, these were not rooms with hardwood floors and high ceilings. That 1st floor area with the weight room, wrestling room, and dance room was clearly added later than the rest of the building. It looked completely different from any other area of the building, and you had to go through an unmarked door to get to it, and it wasn't even shown on the building map.

The room utilization report shows only 2 gyms for HS West. So it seems that the wrestling and dance rooms don't count. Or I wonder if perhaps those rooms have been repurposed for some other use.
Still curious to hear from Paoluccm about this.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Another bit of trivia on 3v/Smtw schools that i didn't realize until I was chatting with my son's tutor. 3v is very diverse by having both Stony Brook Univ. & SB Medical Center within its district lines. Many come from overseas to either study or work. Therefore while out and about 3V you can hear many different languages and see different races mainly asian while SMTW is lily white, 99% caucasian. WRONG: See data from the NYS report card below. There's a Norwegian club and Sons of Italy.

Again don't forget about PJ and Hauppauge which have a greater % of school funding by the local business districts. There's a PJ elem. school that has a pool and one year PJ had so much $$ in their budget that each graduating 5th grader received their own personal laptop! Its a very small school distr.
TVCSD 6,719 students are 83.7% white(5,626), 9.5% Asian(638), 4.4% Hispanic or Latino(294), 1.3% black(89) and 1% multiracial(64).

Smithtown CSD 9,704 students are 87.1% white(8,456), 4.6% Asian(446), 6.2% Hispanic or Latino(601), 1% black(94), and 0.9% multiracial(91)

TVSCD is not as diverse as your tutor would suggest, and Smithtown is not 'lily white' as you would imply. Nor do you hear many different languages. We're seeing the same races that the people in Smithtown are seeing.

As for PJ schools, the fall out from the LIPA lawsuit will mean far less funds for the district and increase in taxes. (Think SWR)

Hauppauge has a strong commercial tax base given that the 2nd largest industrial park in the US falls within the district boundaries.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:10 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
TVCSD 6,719 students are 83.7% white(5,626), 9.5% Asian(638), 4.4% Hispanic or Latino(294), 1.3% black(89) and 1% multiracial(64).

Smithtown CSD 9,704 students are 87.1% white(8,456), 4.6% Asian(446), 6.2% Hispanic or Latino(601), 1% black(94), and 0.9% multiracial(91)

TVSCD is not as diverse as your tutor would suggest, and Smithtown is not 'lily white' as you would imply. Nor do you hear many different languages. We're seeing the same races that the people in Smithtown are seeing.

As for PJ schools, the fall out from the LIPA lawsuit will mean far less funds for the district and increase in taxes. (Think SWR)

Hauppauge has a strong commercial tax base given that the 2nd largest industrial park in the US falls within the district boundaries.

Really? Wow. Learn something every day I guess. I guess city areas don't qualify as "industrial parks"?

Is this counting all of Vets Highway/454 from Hauppauge all the way to /BohemiaHolbrook? That entire road is industrial city.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
That rumor is not supported by the Housing Committee's presentation. There is a possibility of a middle school closure around 2022.
Looking at the class figures on the 2014-15 NYS report card, something has to happen.

The full day K class that year had a total of 563 students, compared to the graduating class (2015) with 869 students. Current classes just ending 9th grade - 6th drops from 839-763 5th grade - 1st drops from 689-563.

If both HS were to remain open, they would have an average of 280 per graduating class in 2027 should figures remain unchanged.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:24 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Another bit of trivia on 3v/Smtw schools that i didn't realize until I was chatting with my son's tutor. 3v is very diverse by having both Stony Brook Univ. & SB Medical Center within its district lines. Many come from overseas to either study or work. Therefore while out and about 3V you can hear many different languages and see different races mainly asian while SMTW is lily white, 99% caucasian. There's a Norwegian club and Sons of Italy.

Yeah, that's not actually trivia, it's a myth. 3 Village is barely more diverse than Smithtown, and in no way could be described as a diverse school. Just because USB has a huge Asian student body doesn't mean they all stay in the area and have kids.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,226 times
If the comment is strictly about the neighborhood around 3v and not the student body of the school district, its not a myth. The chances of walking into an asian minority is much higher due to the hospital and university. Thus the extra chinese restaurant and markets in the neighborhood.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
If the comment is strictly about the neighborhood around 3v and not the student body of the school district, its not a myth. It's a myth.The chances of walking into an asian minority is much higher due to the hospital and university. Thus the extra chinese restaurant and markets in the neighborhood.
In the 2010 US Census lists the Stony Brook CDP (13,740 people) as being 88.6% white, 7.5% Asian while Smithtown CDP (26,470 people) is 94% white and 2.9% Asian

The Asian groceries cater mostly to the SBU students while the Chinese restaurants are frequented by local residents and students. FWIW there are two places for pizza, 2 Mexican joints, and a soup restaurant within walking distance of campus. Does this mean you're more likely to walk into an Eyetalian or a Mexican?

Did you know that National Geographic lists the following countries in Asia: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russia (parts in Europe and Asia), Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste (East Timor), Turkey (parts in Europe and Asia), Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uzbekistan, Vietnam, and Yemen.

Just wondering exactly which Asians you were implying?

If you're going to judge an area based on shopping, what does the rub and tug joint on Smithtown's Main St, along with the topless bar, say about Smithtown residents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island