Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:54 AM

11 posts, read 13,365 times

Advertisements

Currently we rent in Whitestone, we love the area but the prices are way out of out range. We are family of three, me my wife and 7yead old daughter.
our budget is 300-350k for a 3bedroom 1-2 bathroom, or maybe even two bedroom 1-2 bathroom with basement. Fixer upper is fine, I am pretty handy, and I can do a lot myself.
The areas of interest are Bellmore, Merrick, maybe East Meadow.
From what I have seen, it might be a challenge to find something within out price range, so your opinions and experiences would be appreciated.
looking to buy between March-June next year.
my questions:
-schools
Our daughter is currently in gifted and talented, and is doing pretty good.
I know LI schools are good, but they basically learn everything one year ahead, and I am afraid that she might be bored in regular class. is there something similar to GIT program?

-afterschool/ summer camps
Since we both work full time, and have no family here to help us.
how hard is it to get into afterschool program?
How affordable are the summer caps (full day not sleep away)?

-commute
I work in Brooklyn, East NY.
I am guessing abut an one hour commute one way?

-Utilities
Since we rent now, we don't pay for heat and hot water.
What kind of a bill should we expect for heat?
I know gas is a lot cheaper, but if someone knows approx. oil and gas..

If any of you could give me any help, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 08:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresho View Post
Currently we rent in Whitestone, we love the area but the prices are way out of out range. We are family of three, me my wife and 7yead old daughter.
our budget is 300-350k for a 3bedroom 1-2 bathroom, or maybe even two bedroom 1-2 bathroom with basement. Fixer upper is fine, I am pretty handy, and I can do a lot myself.
The areas of interest are Bellmore, Merrick, maybe East Meadow.
From what I have seen, it might be a challenge to find something within out price range, so your opinions and experiences would be appreciated.
looking to buy between March-June next year.
my questions:
-schools
Our daughter is currently in gifted and talented, and is doing pretty good.
I know LI schools are good, but they basically learn everything one year ahead, and I am afraid that she might be bored in regular class. is there something similar to GIT program?

-afterschool/ summer camps
Since we both work full time, and have no family here to help us.
how hard is it to get into afterschool program?
How affordable are the summer caps (full day not sleep away)?

-commute
I work in Brooklyn, East NY.
I am guessing abut an one hour commute one way?

-Utilities
Since we rent now, we don't pay for heat and hot water.
What kind of a bill should we expect for heat?
I know gas is a lot cheaper, but if someone knows approx. oil and gas..

If any of you could give me any help, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Good luck in that price range, since you are willing to buy a fixer upper and do the work yourself you should be able to get a home it will be a challenge and most definitely will be the top end of your budget.

Afterschool depends on the district, mine charges $6 an hour.
Camps are $$$ look into the township recreation camps at parks they are a great value. regular camo could be 2.5k-10k a year

Driving to East NY will suck, by train it's not bad as you know LIRR has a stop there merrick/bellmore is 35-40 min.

My house is multi level about 2k sq ft my gas bill when heat is not being used is around $45-50 a month with heat it averages about $150. From what I gather my bills are on the cheap side. I keep my house at 67 degrees. I have all new windows and siding w/ new insulation outside. My attic is insulated but it was done in 1980.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Good luck in that price range, since you are willing to buy a fixer upper and do the work yourself you should be able to get a home it will be a challenge and most definitely will be the top end of your budget.

Afterschool depends on the district, mine charges $6 an hour.
Camps are $$$ look into the township recreation camps at parks they are a great value. regular camo could be 2.5k-10k a year

Driving to East NY will suck, by train it's not bad as you know LIRR has a stop there merrick/bellmore is 35-40 min.

My house is multi level about 2k sq ft my gas bill when heat is not being used is around $45-50 a month with heat it averages about $150. From what I gather my bills are on the cheap side. I keep my house at 67 degrees. I have all new windows and siding w/ new insulation outside. My attic is insulated but it was done in 1980.
Thank you for your reply.
I know it will be challenging in that price range, but I would also be willing to look into two bedroom houses with basement.
then I could make a guest room in the basement...

Old 07-26-2016, 09:02 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times
All those areas you mentioned are fine. Now start looking on MLSLI.com and see what is available. Since you won't be moving in till the Fall (if you find something) you will have several months to start looking for any camp related activities. Since you are handy you could buy the worst house in the best neighborhood and then fix it up to your liking. The schools are also great and you'll find plenty of after school activities for your kid.
Gas and oil are both cheap now so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just don't buy a money pit. Make sure the house is solid and the area is safe.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
All those areas you mentioned are fine. Now start looking on MLSLI.com and see what is available. Since you won't be moving in till the Fall (if you find something) you will have several months to start looking for any camp related activities. Since you are handy you could buy the worst house in the best neighborhood and then fix it up to your liking. The schools are also great and you'll find plenty of after school activities for your kid.
Gas and oil are both cheap now so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just don't buy a money pit. Make sure the house is solid and the area is safe.

Thank you for your reply.
we are planning to buy by June-July next year at latest, so that we can move in before the school starts..
I was expecting to see a lot more houses on the market in period April - June but I didn't see it.
I guess demand is pretty high.
I am ok wit fixer upper, but I want the roof and foundations to be trouble free.
Everything else I can handle.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
I think most LI schools offer Honors/AP, which is basically 1 year ahead of regents

Old 07-26-2016, 03:50 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Keep planning...to move somewhere else.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:35 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
If you're thinking fixer-upper, I suggest you save up for a good downpayment. If you're considering an FHA loan (as low as 3 1/2% downpayment), they're more demanding with regard to the condition of the house.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Keep planning...to move somewhere else.

what would be the reason?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
If you're thinking fixer-upper, I suggest you save up for a good downpayment. If you're considering an FHA loan (as low as 3 1/2% downpayment), they're more demanding with regard to the condition of the house.

I am planning 20% down payment.
we are not considering FHA loan, our credit is in high 700 so hopefully we wont have any problems getting a mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island