Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 53,136 times

Advertisements

Hello

I looked at a nice high ranch. Great option with almost 11k$ in property taxes. The house has a small one bedroom apartment with sink,stove and kitchen. We put in an offer. Our agent informed us right away that the seller's agent informed that small apt used to be a garage. Seller does not have/want to get CO.

Questions:
What is the impact on property taxes of this illegal garage conversion? Seller is grieving 11k$ taxes but seller may not be reporting the conversion so current grievance process may be null if town finds out about small apartment existence.
Is it easy to obtain CO for this conversion?
Should I walk away from this house? I don't want to assume retroactive fines or town inspections and be forced to pay legal conversion or retrofit to garage.

Thanks and Please send me your thoughts and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 04:33 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,238 times
WALK AWAY..... If you get caught with that apartment, you will be fined by the town and have to pay back taxes on it (whether someone is living in it or not!)

If the buyer doesn't want to do the right thing, walk away!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:58 PM

300 posts, read 552,947 times
It is going to be hard to get the apartment legalized but not hard get a c/o for the conversion.. Get what I'm saying?

People convert garages into interior habitable rooms all of the time to gain extra space. You can get a c/o for this but you may have to remove the kitchen and just label the room as something else.

Best thing to do is have seller rip out the kitchen and then get a c/o for the garage conversion. Should only cost them a few grand plus town fees. This is the quickest way for the homeowner to get a c/o and you not get screwed.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Once the kitchen is removed, the seller can draw as built plans and head to the town to open a permit. They'll get a slap on the wrist (double the permit fee) and then go through the inspection process.

This is where it can get sticky. If there are any other violations in the house, the inspector can go after them, too.

I would only pursue this purchase IF the sellers get everything straightened out and a CO on the garage conversion.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:51 AM

10 posts, read 53,136 times
Thanks so much for this great information. In the case we wanted to have the apartment legalized, do you have any idea of what the tax increase could be (an approximate %)?

Yes, seller would have to do all this.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:58 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,089 times
Accessory apartment has to be 800 sq ft or less, I believe, in TOB. My friend put in for one 10 years ago, and her taxes went up $500 in TOB. I would imagine the income would still pay a big chunk of your taxes.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Accessory apartment has to be 800 sq ft or less, I believe, in TOB. My friend put in for one 10 years ago, and her taxes went up $500 in TOB. I would imagine the income would still pay a big chunk of your taxes.
BUMP

Is this amount accurate? 500?
Does anyone else have personal experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island