Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times

Advertisements

The whole country seems to be filled with boot lickers who are more than happy to bow to the gov..... Forget the red light cams. What's with the surcharges on tickets? 600 bucks for a speeding ticket? 300 for a cracked windshield? Come on NY. Why is nobody speaking out about this? 17 bucks to cross a bridge? Ohhhhhhhhhhh I get it. Everybody is a Cop and can use the services for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 01:41 AM

179 posts, read 304,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's not nonsense, it's the law. What about making that full stop before continuing is such a hardship?
That's not the point - it's more like a "gotcha" as most people aren't going to know to stop a full X seconds before going. Most people want to try to follow the laws best they can, but in this case, these cameras as punishing people for doing X-1 seconds the same as the illegals or stupid teens blowing right through it. Wife got one of these a few years ago, so my reaction now is just waiting for the light to green even if I can make that right on red.

I have also noticed most of the red light cameras are in working or middle-class areas. Route 109 is FULL of them. Copiague, Amityville, Bay Shore, Coram, Selden, Farmingdale, Deer Park, West Babylon - you can't go through these towns without finding at least 2 or 3. One could argue it's a war on the working class.

Off topic, but because it was brought up, AfriqueNY is dead on about some of the other ticket prices. I have heard people having to pay 500 for a speeding ticket (could be 80 on a 55 on Sunrise or LIE)...come on, everyone knows that really isn't that fast if you go that far east on those roads. Yeah, I wouldn't go that fast for that long, but it's easy to creep up to it while still keeping up with traffic. But damn, 500, I could imagine that will hurt if you live pay check to pay check. I know a lot of people are saying "welp, don't go that fast, durr hurr", but in any other place in the country, it would not nearly be that much

I wasn't even aware of a cracked windshield opening you up to huge fines! Truth is, there are probably thousands of laws that no one knows about that we're probably breaking every single day. Like I said earlier, most people want to follow the laws well, but if the system wanted to "get" people, they can and they will.

A long time ago when I took driver's ed, they stressed a lot about how dangerous driving could be and that there's no guarantee I'd make it to where I was going whenever I hopped in the car...but only a few years ago I have realized there's actually a LOT of financial risk going on too.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
The whole country seems to be filled with boot lickers who are more than happy to bow to the gov..... Forget the red light cams. What's with the surcharges on tickets? 600 bucks for a speeding ticket? 300 for a cracked windshield? Come on NY. Why is nobody speaking out about this? 17 bucks to cross a bridge? Ohhhhhhhhhhh I get it. Everybody is a Cop and can use the services for free.
You are correct.

As to opposition... there are groups trying to get something done. The pols won't listen, especially since the increased fees are essential in closing budget gaps. The ticket fees pay for an out of control government.

The opposition is also hampered because of the "safety" message. Look at the responses on this forum for an example. Many people think it is all fine and dandy because it only punishes those "other" unsafe drivers (and of course, the people who have this position always drive 100% within the law).

The traffic fines also become self-defeating and compound the problem. If the higher fines are effective, they will reduce the number of infractions. This will lead to lower total revenue. That means they either have to lower the threshold for enforcement or increase the fines again.

As to the bridges/tunnels (and thruway)... I've been screaming about this for years. Letters to state senators/legislators go unanswered. They don't care - they need the money.

Many people also do not care. If they don't take the bridge often, they see it as "fair" because they don't have to pay for what they don't use.

Did you know that more than 50% of the toll on the Throgs Necks or Midtown tunnel (among others) does NOT go to that bridge or tunnel? It goes to support the subway system. The person crossing the bridge pays more for the subway than the person who actually takes a ride on the subway. Insane.

Want to reduce or eliminate those tolls? Then the price of a subway ride goes up. Try selling that idea to the voters.

How do you fight it? Get rid of the crazy surcharges on tickets and you a) have to fight the "safety" crowd and b) have to fight the "I don't want my free government services taken away" crowds

Lower/remove the bridge tolls and fight the millions who don't want to see the price of a subway ride substantially increase.

They have us literally trapped on Long Island. They can charge whatever they want for crossings and we have no choice but to pay up. (Technically, you can go north to Albany to cross the Hudson for free then come through Manhattan, but realistically you can't avoid the tolls).

Old 08-06-2017, 06:59 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
This is NY. The fine and surcharge capital of the world.
They won't go away and they won't go down. Just more and up as the years go by.
It is what it is.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
That's not the point - it's more like a "gotcha" as most people aren't going to know to stop a full X seconds before going. Most people want to try to follow the laws best they can, but in this case, these cameras as punishing people for doing X-1 seconds the same as the illegals or stupid teens blowing right through it. Wife got one of these a few years ago, so my reaction now is just waiting for the light to green even if I can make that right on red.

I have also noticed most of the red light cameras are in working or middle-class areas. Route 109 is FULL of them. Copiague, Amityville, Bay Shore, Coram, Selden, Farmingdale, Deer Park, West Babylon - you can't go through these towns without finding at least 2 or 3. One could argue it's a war on the working class.

Off topic, but because it was brought up, AfriqueNY is dead on about some of the other ticket prices. I have heard people having to pay 500 for a speeding ticket (could be 80 on a 55 on Sunrise or LIE)...come on, everyone knows that really isn't that fast if you go that far east on those roads. Yeah, I wouldn't go that fast for that long, but it's easy to creep up to it while still keeping up with traffic. But damn, 500, I could imagine that will hurt if you live pay check to pay check. I know a lot of people are saying "welp, don't go that fast, durr hurr", but in any other place in the country, it would not nearly be that much

I wasn't even aware of a cracked windshield opening you up to huge fines! Truth is, there are probably thousands of laws that no one knows about that we're probably breaking every single day. Like I said earlier, most people want to follow the laws well, but if the system wanted to "get" people, they can and they will.

A long time ago when I took driver's ed, they stressed a lot about how dangerous driving could be and that there's no guarantee I'd make it to where I was going whenever I hopped in the car...but only a few years ago I have realized there's actually a LOT of financial risk going on too.
You just went into a rant here that shows how unreasonable some can be. Stopping at a red light is the law and that is the point. If everyone stopped at every red light this entire thread would not exist.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You just went into a rant here that shows how unreasonable some can be. Stopping at a red light is the law and that is the point. If everyone stopped at every red light this entire thread would not exist.
Most people do...But whether you stop for a full 2 seconds or 3 seconds, one of those situations gives you a ticket. That's only on a right. I'm sure people who even counted to 3 may have gotten hit with tickets if by chance they counted a little too fast.

I really don't know anyone who doesn't come to a full stop when they want to go straight or left and the light is red. That's just retarded, unless it's 3 am and you're on a block with no cars within a mile radius. But even then it's foolish because it's hard to see if a cop is camping out for you.

So no, everyone would agree that coming to a full stop is the correct thing to do. But when you have a system in place that is programmed to work within dubious criteria and runs the risk of picking up false positives (despite humans reviewing these - yes, they make errors too), people get frustrated.

I would hate to see you get a ticket for going 60 on sunrise highway. Most cops aren't going to care (someone even told a friend who got a ticket to just keep it under 70), but you may get the one douche that gets you because technically the limit is only 55 lol.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:53 PM

81 posts, read 88,374 times
Wow, I didn't think this topic would be so hot. Heres what I do not like about the program and what I do like.

Don't like:
-People slamming on breaks
- flashes going when im well in the intersection hoping a ticket doesn't show up next month
- People not making a right on red because they got 1 ticket and refuse to go even after they stop
- that robots are taking over cops jobs.
- malfunctioning equipment flashing when no one is breaking the law
- People slamming the gas to get through before its red
- the extra fee that the website tacs on.
-

Do Like:
- safe roads

I consider myself a safe driver. I do not have road rage and I don't run over kittens. I don't blast music and I do not litter. I vote in elections and believe I should be able to question things. I am a father of 2 with a wife and a house. I do not believe that this camera system is in the best interest of the people. I think people should be able to drive and not worry. If they break laws cops should ticket them. I do not want government thinking it's OK and next week on sunrise highway they put up speed camera's. No I do not think speeding is right either. I just don't like machines monitoring everything we do.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:26 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
My senior citizen mother felt the same way.... Until she got Three right on red tickets in a row going into Tanger. She was baffled . I had to explain to her that you have to stop and do a hard 4 count before making the right or wait till it's green. It's a shame. An old lady having to pay that kind of money .....

Old 08-07-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acimag View Post
Wow, I didn't think this topic would be so hot. Heres what I do not like about the program and what I do like.

Don't like:
-People slamming on breaks
- flashes going when im well in the intersection hoping a ticket doesn't show up next month
- People not making a right on red because they got 1 ticket and refuse to go even after they stop
- that robots are taking over cops jobs.
- malfunctioning equipment flashing when no one is breaking the law
- People slamming the gas to get through before its red
- the extra fee that the website tacs on.
-

Do Like:
- safe roads

I consider myself a safe driver. I do not have road rage and I don't run over kittens. I don't blast music and I do not litter. I vote in elections and believe I should be able to question things. I am a father of 2 with a wife and a house. I do not believe that this camera system is in the best interest of the people. I think people should be able to drive and not worry. If they break laws cops should ticket them. I do not want government thinking it's OK and next week on sunrise highway they put up speed camera's. No I do not think speeding is right either. I just don't like machines monitoring everything we do.
this sums it up perfectly. I've said it in a number of threads before, but having red light cameras on the road, but people get a lot of anxiety with these on the road. When they know one is coming, they focus 100 % on making it through and preparing themselves for the split second decision of stopping immediately or blowing through the yellow. It's a LOT worse when they are on roads with 50mph, as you risk much bigger damage to your break pads. In reality, you should be focusing on many other aspects of what goes on when you're driving. Doesn't sound safe to me.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:05 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
Personally I'm am of the opinion that the worst things that ever happened to driving on LI are Right on Red and the sewer system. Maybe a civil engineer can explain why the man hole covers are almost always in the most inconvenient spots? It's possible I drive an SUV with a stiffer suspension than the average vehicle so I'm more sensitive to it. As for the Right on Red I think that it just adds to the driving anxiety level which is already escalating with the increase in the number of vehicles on the road now a days. I can't speak for everyone but for me it's to the point now that at every intersection I'm expecting the worst. I would be very happy to just have the light turn red and if I'm making a right, just wait for the green. We all need to take a beat behind the wheel now and then. REPEAL RIGHT_ON_RED!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island