Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:36 AM

184 posts, read 233,914 times

Advertisements

As I have posted here before we filed for permit for renovations/additions in ToNH. The plan examiner wants us to submit surveys for all the properties within 200ft of ours, and it has to be surveys that show the average set back dimensions. From where can I obtain these surveys? Should I go to the town building department or the county clerk? Also would they give me surveys for other properties?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 09:45 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
As I have posted here before we filed for permit for renovations/additions in ToNH. The plan examiner wants us to submit surveys for all the properties within 200ft of ours, and it has to be surveys that show the average set back dimensions. From where can I obtain these surveys? Should I go to the town building department or the county clerk? Also would they give me surveys for other properties?

TIA
Please check this out. I formerly lived in TNH and I had to submit my own survey for improvements and then letters were sent by the town to surrounding homeowner's in the event they opposed my plans.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Please check this out. I formerly lived in TNH and I had to submit my own survey for improvements and then letters were sent by the town to surrounding homeowner's in the event they opposed my plans.
I did submit my own survey that shows calculations for average set back but he's requesting us to submit surveys for the surrounding properties that shows their front set back.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
I did submit my own survey that shows calculations for average set back but he's requesting us to submit surveys for the surrounding properties that shows their front set back.
Call the phone number on the permit for the building dept. and ask the person that answers. It used to be this squatty body named Andrew, who was quite knowledgeable. If not, I would call and simply ask how you are suppose to do this. I would say I don't even know the neighbors and they are not under any obligation to submit it. See what they say. My parents lived in the town for 56 years and I for all but two of those years, part in their home and then in my own for almost 17 years and I never heard of that. I called a friend who is a contractor on LI and he said he had not either.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:40 AM

Thank you Nut2uiam for trying to find some info.

I went to the building Dep, they gave me a form that I have to fill the information of the properties, such as block no, lot no etc of the properties that I want the surveys for. They're charging $.25 per survey that we requested. But they might now have surveys for all the properties. Once we get the surveys our architect or surveyor must do the calculations and show the average setback according to the illustration in the form.

The bad news is it might take them a couple of weeks to pull the surveys for us which means the permits will be delayed. It's almost 5 months since we filed

Old 11-05-2016, 08:11 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Just do like many other LI'ers and do the work and worry about permits and co's if/when you sell. Too much red tape. You need to get on with your life.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just do like many other LI'ers and do the work and worry about permits and co's if/when you sell. Too much red tape. You need to get on with your life.
I wish we could. We are adding floor space, redoing 2nd floor and extending kitchen, this is a major renovation, I don't think our GC would breakground without permits. So we're stuck paying 2 mortgages.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:00 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Are you changing your original front setback and need a variance?

Old 11-05-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Are you changing your original front setback and need a variance?
No, we are not changing the front setback. We are extending towards the back. No variance needed, we took care with the plan so that we wouldn't need a variance since we didn't want to wait a long time for variance approval. We decided to stay away from variance and live with the limitation since we didn't want the permits to be held up.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:03 PM

So this must be a new money grab scheme. It never used to be that way. Can't say I am surprised they will grab the $$ as fast as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island