Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
The tint has always been a law. Usually cops would only give the ticket in conjunction with something else or if they were having a bad day . This law only makes it so its inspected at inspection time. the 30 percent light law has always been a law.
Exactly. Last week I was at the dealer and they wouldn't perform the inspection because of "film on headlights and taillights". I went to a local enthusiast garage and they passed me and said the law takes effect next year so I'm in the clear for another year. They said they have to undo their own cars too. I don't think "being friendly" with them will have anything to do with skirting a NYS inspection unless they don't mind losing their operating license. I have 35 on all windows (except windshield) and subtle tint on lamps. Never been stopped before, and now I have to possibly replace it all because of the 5% extra.

It's not clear - are the shops going to fail you for having front-side windows tinted at all? All it mentions is the light test. I also wonder if cops will start becoming more vigilant. Even if you don't do it for looks, the tint helps from the glaring sun & heat - our other vehicle has no tint and it makes an obvious difference.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-29-2016 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 08:28 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
The only people who tint their windows to this degree are teenagers and scumbags. Sorry not sorry.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:44 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The only people who tint their windows to this degree are teenagers and scumbags. Sorry not sorry.
And old people with eyeball issues.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:31 AM

56 posts, read 60,976 times
Default 1984

Its all about the cameras...They are everywhere and now with Facial recognition technology where it is, tints have to go. Police needs trump your privacy.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:59 PM

137 posts, read 272,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblank View Post
Its all about the cameras...They are everywhere and now with Facial recognition technology where it is, tints have to go. Police needs trump your privacy.
Sadly I think this has at least something to do with it.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:54 PM

718 posts, read 620,595 times
Sheriffs are now salivating as they get there fresh ticket books out ready to hammer long island citizens to the cross.
Same hyprocrit probably drives to work in a dodge ram with limo tint on every window.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:43 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
We've had this tint law for many years in NC.

All non-factory tint must be tested adding $10 to their inspection fee.

Not all bad since deep tint can disguise the occupancy of a vehicle making a possibly serious issue for law enforcement.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:48 PM

15 posts, read 40,494 times
But we are not talking about deep tint here. From what I was told, 70% tint is close to having no tint at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
We've had this tint law for many years in NC.

All non-factory tint must be tested adding $10 to their inspection fee.

Not all bad since deep tint can disguise the occupancy of a vehicle making a possibly serious issue for law enforcement.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:08 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Sheriffs are now salivating as they get there fresh ticket books out ready to hammer long island citizens to the cross.
Same hyprocrit probably drives to work in a dodge ram with limo tint on every window.
They have to actually like you know, pull them over in order to do that...

Old 01-02-2017, 08:21 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
It was ALREADY illegal.
What this is doing is shifting the burden of finding these people from law enforcement to car inspection.

It should result in less tickets, though the few it does should have far greater fines.

If you are tinting post 2017, you are doing it knowing you will have to remove the tints in a year, and are likely to be more aware of the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island