Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM

58 posts, read 64,018 times

Advertisements

We are in contract on a house in New Hyde park. The property tax disclosed to us was around $9000 and there was no mention that it was under star exemption. Now we found out that the poperty tax was under veteran's exemption in title search and new tax will be around $12000. We feel that the listing agent has cheated us. Can we walk out of this deal without losing our earnest money? With the new tax amount - the house will be over our budget limit. What are our options? Thank you everyone for always being so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,517,021 times
Quote:
We feel that the listing agent has cheated us. Can we walk out of this deal without losing our earnest money?
Almost definitely not. Anyone can go on the Nassau County property records site and look up any home and see exactly what they pay in taxes, and it will also tell if they're getting an enhanced STAR credit and whatnot.

You know you still get the regular STAR, right? That's usually around $1,200 or so, give or take. The current owner is just getting a little extra for being a veteran. Volunteer firefighters also get a bigger break.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:43 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Unless there is something in the contract giving you the right to cancel, you are stuck

Old 04-04-2017, 09:56 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,106 times
Listing agent is under no obligation to disclose exemptions - they are only required to disclose the actual taxes on the property as posted on the Nassau County Tax Assessment site. As a home buyer, you should have done the research on the taxes before you made any offers:

LandRecord Lookup

Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 AM

280 posts, read 286,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spx9d View Post
We are in contract on a house in New Hyde park. The property tax disclosed to us was around $9000 and there was no mention that it was under star exemption. Now we found out that the poperty tax was under veteran's exemption in title search and new tax will be around $12000. We feel that the listing agent has cheated us. Can we walk out of this deal without losing our earnest money? With the new tax amount - the house will be over our budget limit. What are our options? Thank you everyone for always being so helpful.
You are experiencing the issue which I raised earlier regarding Star exemption. It will get worse in that the phoney "market value" of the house used by governments is vastly lower than the real "market value," my guess is that in 2018-2019 the "market value" will be adjusted to the real market value thus tax rates will go down per $1000 but overall taxes will go up for many people.. Your tax bill will be a moving target higher. Some municipalities used to adjust market value on sale which is clearly illegal, once I throttled an adjuster and told him that I would sue him and the town if he tried to pull that practice. My appraisal was quickly reversed. Even though illegal these municipalities have engineered workarounds which accomplish the same.

Also your taxes will go up because there is most likely a gap in the assessment protesting process (rigged stupid game). You have to ask the seller if they protested tax assessments prior to sale. Or your taxes will most likely go up.

I noticed that the listing on the House I sold had two tax amounts the first was with enhanced star exemption and the second without. I noticed that my buyer was going to lose the star exemption; and at close my lawyer noticed it too took me aside and told me the same; we were under no obligation to disclose a matter of due diligence on the part of the buyer. It could have been an issue if the buyer did not use the Title company lawyer! and thus had no representation for the purchase. My lawyer anticipated that should this issue be raised by the buyer we might have to adjust in some way.

To your issue;

I would speak to your lawyer and tell him that taxes were misrepresented by the seller's agent (and therefore the seller) to include an enhanced STAR adjustment.

Ask him to make the case that the agreed upon price needs to be adjusted to correct for the misrepresentation which you relied upon.

I would offer your lawyer some math using a PVA calculation; present value of an annuity of $3000 per year for 30 years at 5% for a total of $46,117. <-based on the formula that is the real cost to you! So you say to your lawyer (who does no know about finance or math) that the $3000 is a recurring payment increasing my costs by $46,000 over the life of my property ownership and I want an adjustment or I want the deal scuttled.

If your lawyer is any good he should be able to get a $10,000 adjustment.

College level finance is a *****. Once you apply basic math to public pension plans you will realize immediately that Nassau County, NYS is broke. The moral of the story is that your real estate taxes (and other taxes) are going to go up geometrically from here. The moral of the story is don't buy on LI or in NY, sell.

Last edited by martinx; 04-04-2017 at 11:41 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 10:31 AM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
It's Nassau County. Taxes will go up every year no matter what.
You do however, have a little control on how much they go up via things like grieving, STAR, and any other exemptions you may qualify for. Join the FD.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It's Nassau County. Taxes will go up every year no matter what.
You do however, have a little control on how much they go up via things like grieving, STAR, and any other exemptions you may qualify for. Join the FD.
That grieving process is rigged; so you will pay 45% of what you "save" to friends and family of Ed Mangano who were given a permit to protest taxes on your behalf. It has also caused great distortions in taxes between houses next to each other. That is why the market value is likely to be reviewed for the whole county all at once to actual market value some time in the future.. The process of changing market values will be RAPE of the largest order.

The seller may not have an active grievance, bad for the buyer.

SELL SELL SELL

Old 04-04-2017, 11:05 AM

755 posts, read 1,081,031 times
I believe banks take into account the amount of taxes you have to pay. Check with your lender if you are still able to get a loan with the adjusted tax total. If you're lucky, they won't approve the loan, and you're out of the contract.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
I believe banks take into account the amount of taxes you have to pay. Check with your lender if you are still able to get a loan with the adjusted tax total. If you're lucky, they won't approve the loan, and you're out of the contract.
Very good point.

Another interesting thing is that in the old days contracts were written to say that sales were "contingent on the buyer getting a mortgage"

The contract my lawyer drafted stated that "the buyer was responsible for getting a conforming mortgage." That is a big buyer friendly change (that I did not like as a seller).

Old 04-04-2017, 11:39 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,517,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post
That grieving process is rigged; so you will pay 45% of what you "save" to friends and family of Ed Mangano who were given a permit to protest taxes on your behalf
Not if you're in Nassau. They've have free public workshops that show you how to grieve your taxes, and they've made it ridiculously easy to do online. It takes literally less than 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: