Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:07 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,970 times

Advertisements

A bit off topic: I have found old Chemical Bank stock certificates cleaning out my in-laws estate. Any idea if I can find out their worth, if any?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
A bit off topic: I have found old Chemical Bank stock certificates cleaning out my in-laws estate. Any idea if I can find out their worth, if any?

Thanks in advance.

At ton of money if they are JP Morgan stock now. As Chemical merged with Manufacturers Hanover, who in turned Merged with Chase who in turn merged with JP Morgan to give you JP Morgan Chase. If certificate is valid you just need a death certificate and will to transfer it or sell it

Contact Information:
Investor Relations
JPMorgan Chase & Co.
270 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017-2070
212-270-7325
JPMCinvestorrelations@jpmchase.com
Stock Transfer Agent:
Computershare
For Regular Delivery:
Computershare, Inc.
P.O. Box 43078
Providence, RI 02940
For Overnight Delivery:
Computershare, Inc.
250 Royall Street
Canton, MA 02021
800-758-4651 (toll free)
201-680-6862 (international)
www.computershare.com

Old 10-20-2015, 09:03 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,970 times
Thanks. I have not been able to find a website with historical stock price and dividend data for defunct companies. Any ideas?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:22 AM

258 posts, read 456,640 times
Even if they don't have any stock value, they're worth something in historical coolness factor in my opinion.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I have not been able to find a website with historical stock price and dividend data for defunct companies. Any ideas?
The transfer agent agent will take care of it. Chemical/Chase had a few splits along the way I think last one was beginning of 2000.

All you need to do is open an estate account at a broker dealer and deposit physical certificate who in turn will convert it to book entry (electronic) accounting for splits etc. Then you can just click a button and sell if you want.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Chemical is not a defunct company. In fact Chemical Bought Chase. They decided Chase was a much better name for a bank and had a better history. Chase is second oldest bank in NY. So Chemical took the Chase name after they bought it.

When Chase in turn bought JP Morgan they also kept the name for same reason. Later on JP Morgan Chase bought Bank One, Washington Mutual and Bear Stearns. JP Morgan Chase dumped those names as they had no value.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:41 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,490 times
Despite the fact that it goes by the name Chase, Chemical was the surviving company in the Chase merger but adopted the better known Chase name. So, the current JPM Chase is the old Chemical. There are stock price histories in Yahoo, which I think adjust for splits if there have been any. These certificates may or may not represent unaccounted for ownership -- the stock may have been reported lost or otherwise converted into "street name." In any event, the current JPM Chase stock price reflects the former Chemical stock -- the only question is whether these certificates truly reflect ownership, and whether there have been stock splits since the certificates issued.

How old are the certificates? There are dealers in truly old sock certificates, which can have significant value independent of the stock ownership in part because some also have important signatures.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:00 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Are there any old brokerage statements........tax returns.........etc. in the stacks of papers?

Also look for checkbook registers.

I had to clean out 65 years worth of "stuff"...................and follow the trail of "sucessor" companies.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:54 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Stock Transfer Agent:
Computershare

FYI - a real pain in the butt to deal with. They will drive you nuts with paperwork and have you spin your wheels.

If you already deal with a broker/investment person, call them first. Give them the info from the stock certificates and have them do some legwork. Those certificates may not be worth anything (if they were transferred to book entries in the past). Your broker will also be able to help with the Computershare paperwork and related items you will need if those certificates are still good.

If you don't have someone you deal with, check with the bank you work with. They generally have an investment person on staff who can help. Just don't leave the original certificates with them. Let them write down the info or make a photocopy.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:17 PM

291 posts, read 336,105 times
I'd be interested in knowing the final outcome of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: