Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Just passed the site. Looks like ghetto camping. Bunch of heifers sitting in lawn chairs with a big spread of food on a table and a Walgreens $9.99 charcoal BBQ. At least they have a porta potty so they aren't crapping on the grass!!

Maybe houses become more affordable when you actually work????

But then again they saved the cost of a campsite rental.
Yup! Just hanging out. Pretty much the element & lifestyle they would bring to GC. And they wonder why they are not wanted? Amazing. All they did was make themselves look worse in everyone's eyes. And not want to live near them. Work haha! Protesting is their job! So in their eyes they were working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 08:51 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Yup! Just hanging out. Pretty much the element & lifestyle they would bring to GC. And they wonder why they are not wanted? Amazing. All they did was make themselves look worse in everyone's eyes. And not want to live near them. Work haha! Protesting is their job! So in their eyes they were working.
Yes, I don't think they did themselves any favors by their demands or actions..
Affordable housing in an issue on LI. It needs to be addressed via rational thinking not by temper tantrums.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Yes, I don't think they did themselves any favors by their demands or actions..
Affordable housing in an issue on LI. It needs to be addressed via rational thinking not by temper tantrums.
But temper tantrums & protests are what these people do best. What would they do with all their time if they did not complain & beg? Wonder if they get their diapers for free too? Some people just have way too much time on their hands.

Yes.Affordable housing is a problem for everyone. But being poor is a choice for most people. Unless you are either become disabled to young in life or born disabled. Or elderly who worked all your life & now live off SS. Not easy to live off SS in this day & age with everything being so expensive. Many elderly do have a pension. Some have good pensions. Some don't. Many worked jobs that did not give them pensions & lived paycheck to paycheck or close to it. Without the chance to save much money for retirement. Thanks to LI's high COL.

But being poor & asking to live in one of the most expensive areas is wrong on so many levels. People that pay lots of money to live in those nicer areas do so to AVOID those people. I know if I bought a million dollar home it would be to NOT live near them. Why should I lose all value in my home because they want to live near me? We all know property values will go down. No one is going to buy a million dollar plus home if unsavory people live nearby. So good luck to those that own those homes if they move in. They will still owe a million on that home & be lucky to sell it at a half-price sale. They need to pick their battles better.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:08 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
In what way? Why? It has been proven these types of gatherings usually erupt into violence in the past. Don't want to live around people like that. Sorry.
Please show us that proof.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:47 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Fix that for ya.
Oh yeah. Glen cove is a dump. Ever since those damn billionaires abandoned the place you can't get a decent place to live. RVC was always a middle class town. Only now is it considered on par with a town like Garden City. Affordable housing didn't harm its value one bit.

Affordable housing is protested in every town on LI. The people here aren't too bright. Then they cry that their children can't afford to live here.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:08 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Oh yeah. Glen cove is a dump. Ever since those damn billionaires abandoned the place you can't get a decent place to live. RVC was always a middle class town. Only now is it considered on par with a town like Garden City. Affordable housing didn't harm its value one bit.

Affordable housing is protested in every town on LI. The people here aren't too bright. Then they cry that their children can't afford to live here.
Affordable housing will never happen. If there was $$ in it the builders would be building cheaper homes not 900k-1.3mm knock downs on small lots. Manhasset has a housing project so does Roslyn both are pricey areas still, I believe both complexes have been there for a very long time. You can't force multi family housing on neighborhoods that don't want it.

If people are so afraid of it in there neighborhood, it's very easy to avoid. Buy a house in a town that has no train station but is close enough by car. The people that push this stuff only want it in areas that have trains. You don't see any one demanding Affordable housing in affluent areas such as Jericho, Mill Neck, Loyd harbor, Brookville or any other $$ area w/o trains. They want Garden City since it has the train access.

There is a low equity coop built in Melville. I have driven buy and people are standing out in front smoking blunts ( I have smelled it from my car) I don't care if people smoke bud, there doing it in front of the complex this is why these types of places get a bad rap. Smoke the damn bud in your apt not out in the open where every one can smell it.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
None of these towns have "projects". They don't build those anymore. They have Section 8 housing. And of course any nice area can afford a few of those here and there. It's a matter of volume. One small apartment building isn't going to ruin a town, but it's not really going to do anything measurabley good except for the couple dozen lucky families that get to live there.

They don't target Garden City because of train access lol. They target it because it's a rich white Christian enclave literally next door to the ghetto. The optics for the corporate shill media are irresistible.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Please show us that proof.
My proof was deleted. But it can not be denied by anyone anymore.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 PM

276 posts, read 988,651 times
Absolutely disgusting. You want to live there, too darn bad if you don't have the means to.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:53 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Move to Iceland if you wish to avoid Them. Good luck with that. There is a rally in VA I'm sure you would love to attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island