Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 13,915 times

Advertisements

Are these names the same...Manhasset Hills and New Hyde park? I don't really know why there are different classifications...and what are the demographics in those areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 09:22 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybaby0514 View Post
Are these names the same...Manhasset Hills and New Hyde park? I don't really know why there are different classifications...and what are the demographics in those areas?
They may share the same post office but New Hyde Park is an actual incorporated village with a small downtown and railroad station, while Manhasset Hills is not. They are also at least a mile away from each other, Manhasset Hills is separated from New Hyde Park by North New Hyde Park. .

From North to South - Manhasset Hills - North New Hyde Park - New Hyde Park

It may depend on the individual block but from what I have seen, Manhasset Hills houses tend to be newer and with larger properties then the Hyde Parks. It may have something to do with when the area was developed, just a 10 or 20 year difference can mean split level houses versus capes. And some of the New Hyde Park buildings look like they are from the 1800s.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
There are also both incorporated and unincorporated parts of NHP. When the Manhasset Hills homes were built the builder wanted it to reflect a more exclusive and higher end neighborhood than Herricks or New Hyde Park. Manhasset Hills does not even share a border with Manhasset.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 PM

401 posts, read 551,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybaby0514 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhasset_Hills,_New_York

70% White, 27% Asian, 3% other. From experience, that sounds pretty spot on. The Herricks school district (the school Manhasset Hills would be zoned to) is probably around 35% Asian student population (although I think this fluctuates, I've heard it being as high as ~45-50%).

Old 04-03-2018, 10:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
My friend who lives in Manhasset Hills says he lives in New Hyde Park FWIW

Old 04-04-2018, 02:24 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Houses in Manhasset Hills are more expensive than in NHP.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdefinitely View Post

70% White, 27% Asian, 3% other. From experience, that sounds pretty spot on. The Herricks school district (the school Manhasset Hills would be zoned to) is probably around 35% Asian student population (although I think this fluctuates, I've heard it being as high as ~45-50%).
FYI The Herricks school district is closer to 60% asian now. ( Note there is a difference in the population demo's and the school demo's.) There are still a lot of the post school age families that live there, so that is the difference.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:47 AM

184 posts, read 233,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdefinitely View Post

I'm in Herricks SD, asian population is definitely more than 35%, more like 50% or more. I believe part of Manhassat Hills is zoned for Herricks SD. From what I've seen of Manhassat Hills, houses are bigger, lots are bigger so its more spread out.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:52 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
I'm in Herricks SD, asian population is definitely more than 35%, more like 50% or more. I believe part of Manhassat Hills is zoned for Herricks SD. From what I've seen of Manhassat Hills, houses are bigger, lots are bigger so its more spread out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
My friend who lives in Manhasset Hills says he lives in New Hyde Park FWIW
Yes, it is a noticeably difference between type and age of houses between Manhasset Hills and New Hyde Park/North New Hyde Park.

My guess is that Manhasset Hills was developed a bit later. With newer homes and larger properties, the area looks like it could be further out in Suffolk County. but with the actual convenience of western Nassau County.

In contrast, North New Hyde Park (which separates Manhasset Hills from the actual New Hyde Park) has block after block of 1950s(?) era capes. If you drive along Hillside Avenue you can actually see a "cape belt" from Queens Village/Bellerose, Queens out toward Williston Park in Nassau County.

Anyway l1995, your friend may live in the 11040 Zip Code, New Hyde Park Post Office. That is a big post office that covers not just New Hyde Park and New Hyde Park but also parts of Garden City Park, Manhasset Hills, Herricks, North Hills and Lake Success. It even crosses the border into Queens. People often use the post office zip code to describe the community they live in. But in reality he lives pretty far from the actual village of New Hyde Park which is centered down on Jericho Turnpike.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:08 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Speaking of Manhasset Hills, anyone remember the story of a young woman who was murdered in her home there some 30-35 years ago? It was a pretty sensational story but I can't find it on google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island