Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:39 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The amusement park was called Playland. There used to be restaurants, hotels, and stores throughout the original longest boardwalk in the US, but it all came down during the urban renewal period of the 60s and 70s. Rockaway was like the Jersey Shore during the 30s, 40s, and 50s. It was a vibrant vacation destination for vacationers and daytrippers for a good chunk of the 20th century.
Even into the 70s....used to go there as a kid as my grandmother lived there. She left in 1980 as it was really going downhill at that point. We used to go to Playland every summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 02:38 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I do believe you answered your own question.

Look at how overdeveloped New Jersey barrier beaches are. LI is overdeveloped already. We don't need a few wealthy, politically connected types New Jerseying our barrier islands.
They left a few spots open.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
One small built up spot on all that LI shoreline is not the end of the world. Just my 2 cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I do believe you answered your own question.

Look at how overdeveloped New Jersey barrier beaches are. LI is overdeveloped already. We don't need a few wealthy, politically connected types New Jerseying our barrier islands.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:37 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Point Lookout may fit the bill. Except if you want to commute by train.
And pay a million dollars for a home...

Old 04-09-2018, 01:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They left a few spots open.
Wasn't that nice of them?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
One small built up spot on all that LI shoreline is not the end of the world. Just my 2 cents!
We call it "Long Beach" lol

Old 04-09-2018, 02:21 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,049 times
The Nautical Mile in South Freeport has a fun beachy atmosphere and lots places to hang out. OTOH, it's flood-prone, as are the majority of waterfront communities on LI. Jersey also. Weren't entire communities wiped out during Sandy? A water view is nice, but why bring this aggravation into your life?

I'll not mention the anti-Freeport bias here and let the other members pile on. Wait for it.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:49 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The amusement park was called Playland. There used to be restaurants, hotels, and stores throughout the original longest boardwalk in the US, but it all came down during the urban renewal period of the 60s and 70s. Rockaway was like the Jersey Shore during the 30s, 40s, and 50s. It was a vibrant vacation destination for vacationers and daytrippers for a good chunk of the 20th century. People would rent those bungalows for the entire summer season. In contrast, Coney Island was more of a day at the beach type of place with plenty of boardwalk attractions. There used to be much, much more in Coney Island than there is now.

No one promotes Long Island shore as a tourist attaction? Seriously? Fire Island? North Fork? Hamptons?
I know that as of a few years ago, Playland was designated on the National Historical register and I think it is the only county owned amusement park in the states.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:36 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I know that as of a few years ago, Playland was designated on the National Historical register and I think it is the only county owned amusement park in the states.
The poster is referring to the former Rockaway Playland in Rockaway Beach (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockaways%27_Playland) not Rye Playland which is still operating in Westchester County (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playland_(New_York)and) is county owned.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The Nautical Mile in South Freeport has a fun beachy atmosphere and lots places to hang out.
It's not the same. When the OP mentions 'beachy' and 'similar to Jersey Shore' I think of communities more like Wildwood, Seaside Heights, Cape May, Wild Wood, Asbury Park -- areas which are on the Atlantic, not Jamaica Bay, South Oyster Bay, or the Great South Bay. Freeport, despite the nautical mile waterfront feel, does not have the same beach vibe as the sample of NJ communities I listed. Unless you're on a barrier beach, you can't walk out your front door, walk a few blocks and be able to stick your feet into the Atlantic or enjoy the music of the ocean waves as you take a boardwalk stroll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island