Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 02:47 PM

175 posts, read 602,455 times

Advertisements

Hi – can anyone recommend somebody to read a survey and stake out a property lines for us in our back yard? Also if you’ve had it done recently what is a reasonable cost? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 03:18 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
I'm interested in this answer too. Thinking about having a length of steel edging run along the boundary line between us and one of the neighbors. There's a fence that starts at the gate leading to the back yard so theoretically I could use that as a starting point but this neighbor is Super Fussy (long story) and I don't want to do anything that might not be 100% kosher.

If a survey updater marks the actual line at least it would have been done by a neutral third party and backed up with paperwork.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Are you looking for a surveyor? If so, most of them have waiting lists that average about 5 to 6 weeks out. Shop around - they all get different prices. I found that Fauser out of Northport was the most reasonably priced.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:55 PM

It sounds like the OP has a survey in hand, possibly from a closing, and just needs the line(s) staked.

That's my situation. I got an updated survey in 2013 when I bought this house, but would like to verify the property line of part of the front yard property line that is unfenced. The rest of the yard is already fenced.

I don't want to add a fence but because of issues with this particular neighbor would like a visible physical demarcation between my property and theirs. A run of steel edging would do it just fine. There are some large trees and shrubs along what I assume is the property line, which makes it impossible to just run a string/line from the fence end out to the curb.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:32 AM

35 posts, read 32,722 times
Just as a reminder to some of the replies.....Fences are not formal property lines. I say this because the poster is looking to formally delineate property lines and fences are not necessarily an accurate way to do this. Some jurisdictions require fences to be set-back a certain amount of inches, others do not. And maybe the fence company or whomever installed the fence simply "eyeballed" it (likely).

If you have your homes paperwork from closing (deed, etc.) it should have a survey included with it (also referred to as a "Plat"). A surveyor will use this to mark out your property line. It will cost you less if you have the survey, otherwise the firm (or you) will have to obtain a copy of the survey from the Town's clerks office.

It would probably cost around $500 to $600 or more, depending on the size of your property.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:47 AM

$500-$600 is what I'd expect to pay for a new survey; that much to simply mark/flag property lines based on an already in hand survey would be nuts. :-(

When we bought this house in 2013 the sellers provided a copy of a survey that was done 1996 in conjunction with them adding a front porch and a Four Seasons Room. The Town got a copy of that survey in 2009 along with the permit applications for those new additions. My title company accepted that survey and looking at my closing statement there is a $75 fee on the line for "New Survey/Survey Inspection". Not sure what Survey Inspection might have been (could have been someone just looking at the copy of the 1996 one and saying "yeah that's it, all right", lol)

Title company didn't ask for a survey showing the added Four Seasons room and porch. Not sure if a bank would have; we paid cash.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:50 AM

87 posts, read 99,403 times
We bought our house late 2015 (and got a new survey) and in 2016 I called the company on the survey to stake the yard and they wanted about $800 or so (I don’t remember exact number but was high). My husband and the fence guy measured everything out together and put the fence fully on our property.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:31 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Its going to be expensive.....try to use the company that did your survey. Probably $600-800 just to stake.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Wow, that's nuts. If it costs that much to just stake, I hate to think what a brand-new or even updated survey costs nowadays.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Wow, that's nuts. If it costs that much to just stake, I hate to think what a brand-new or even updated survey costs nowadays.
I can tell you - back in 2015 I had to get a new survey done and it ran me $1500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island