Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 PM

45 posts, read 175,209 times

Advertisements

We're staying in Hauppauge right now and tomorrow night we're going into Manhattan to meet some of my husband's friends for dinner. We're meeting them around 96th and Lex. We plan to go in around 5 or 6 and come back at around 10.

I have my doubts about driving because I've never driven in Manhattan and I hate the idea of trying to find a place to park.

Is it better to drive or just take the train? Should we drive into Jamaica or somewhere and just get the train there?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 10:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfirefly View Post
We're staying in Hauppauge right now and tomorrow night we're going into Manhattan to meet some of my husband's friends for dinner. We're meeting them around 96th and Lex. We plan to go in around 5 or 6 and come back at around 10.

I have my doubts about driving because I've never driven in Manhattan and I hate the idea of trying to find a place to park.

Is it better to drive or just take the train? Should we drive into Jamaica or somewhere and just get the train there?

Thanks for any advice!
You could take the LIRR out of Ronkonkoma right into Penn Station and take a cab uptown.

If you're staying at one of the large hotels by the LIE, all you have to do is head east on the LIE to exit 60 South (Ronkonkoma Ave) and head about 1/2 mile - make a RIGHT onto Northwest Link and then a LEFT onto Johnson (go under Ronkonkoma Ave) -- the LIRR station parking will be up on your right.

The 440 out of Ronkonkoma will have you to Penn by 559. There's a 340 which will get you there by 459. If you buy your ticket using the ticket machine at the station, it costs $9.75/ticket or else you pay $15/per if you buy it on the train.

I've driven into the city many times, but prefer the train for a night (or evening) out. You don't have to worry about parking, traffic, and if you have a cocktail with dinner, you're on the train as opposed to in the car.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfirefly View Post

Thanks for any advice!
You can also park at the Deer Park LIRR station without a permit - hourly trains into NYC. It's never easy to drive in NYC , even on weekends.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:35 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
If you want to drive, just hop on the lie going west. Take it thru the tunnell and head uptown.

If you are into trying a different route ; take the lie to exit 19 ( I think) for Queens Blvd. When you get off the ramp, make a right onto Queens Blvd, then when you can merge left into the express lanes. Take Queens BLvd all the way west to the 59th street bridge ; Queensboro bridge. When you are on the bridge, stay to the right as you will be heading uptown. The bridge gets you into Manhatten at 60th street. Just head uptown until you find 96th street. Parking will set you back probably $30. So it depends on how many of you are there, it may be cheaper to drive.

Then coming home, just head downtown on 2nd ave. You will see the bridge (cannot miss it) and follow it. Get onto Queens Blvd again, and the sign for the LIE is just after St. Johns Hospital (on the right)

Have a fun night. I love Manhatten.

dorothy

Old 04-05-2008, 06:30 AM

210 posts, read 671,569 times
Ask the hotel for directions if you're driving, which I think is your best bet.

The train leaves you in Manhattan on 34th Street after which you have to go up to 96th... Between train fare for two and the cab both ways, driving is not that bad price wise. I also find that the train is great on the way in, but if you miss the train on the way back you'll be waiting in Penn Station for an hour, and will get home later then you want to.

Directions are below. Figure $30 for parking, as the other person said plus tolls on the triboro. BE CAREFUL ON THE TRIBORO TO FOLLOW SIGNS FOR MANHATTAN AND NOT THE BRONX!!!! It is called the tri-bro because it goes to three boros (Queens, Manhattan and the Bronx). Boros are like counties. If you have the time today, go in early. It is a great city!!!

Let us know what you do.

Click here: Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Take the train...if your nervous now, then you can have a drink or 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island