Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 02:22 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,782,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Stop complaining. Just move already.

Looks like that's what happening already, causing problems for Cuomo's budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Wrong. I got no tax cut. What little I got was eaten by inflation and a nest of increased fees and costs. Only a rube would think the cracker crumbs we got thrown (to offset the tax raping we're about to get) are a net positive for anyone in NY.

Ridiculous taxation is what the tax cuts exacerbated. A massive windfall for a few and long term debt with ZERO infrastructure improvements for the rest. Check today's news for the reality (as warned) that most corporate tax benefit went to stock buybacks, not wages.

The reason we are so highly taxed is because of attitudes like yours that the tax system is based on some fair reality. I'll give you a tax cut you can actually feel and take to the bank. Trump and Bezos will pay for it. I'll tax half what Eisenhower taxed and you'll still dance to the bank compared to now. Why is that?!?

Eaten by inflation? What inflation? Increased fees and costs? Those are probably county fees and cost. Not federal.

The corporate tax benefits you're talking about is the return of overseas cash that mostly went to buybacks, agreed. However the lowering of the corporate tax rate has allowed the economy to take off helping all of us.

The reason we are so highly taxes is because we need to pay for our State welfare program which consists of public servants, the unions and lately illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 02:45 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Looks like that's what happening already, causing problems for Cuomo's budget.

Eaten by inflation? What inflation? Increased fees and costs? Those are probably county fees and cost. Not federal.

The corporate tax benefits you're talking about is the return of overseas cash that mostly went to buybacks, agreed. However the lowering of the corporate tax rate has allowed the economy to take off helping all of us.

The reason we are so highly taxes is because we need to pay for our State welfare program which consists of public servants, the unions and lately illegal immigrants.
Lol..sure people are moving, and more are moving right back in.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:59 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Wrong. I got no tax cut. What little I got was eaten by inflation and a nest of increased fees and costs. Only a rube would think the cracker crumbs we got thrown (to offset the tax raping we're about to get) are a net positive for anyone in NY.

Ridiculous taxation is what the tax cuts exacerbated. A massive windfall for a few and long term debt with ZERO infrastructure improvements for the rest. Check today's news for the reality (as warned) that most corporate tax benefit went to stock buybacks, not wages.

The reason we are so highly taxed is because of attitudes like yours that the tax system is based on some fair reality. I'll give you a tax cut you can actually feel and take to the bank. Trump and Bezos will pay for it. I'll tax half what Eisenhower taxed and you'll still dance to the bank compared to now. Why is that?!?
No tax cut? That’s strange. My entire family got a few bucks more per pay period. A few hundred more per month for my wife & I

Old 02-05-2019, 03:03 PM

VA Yankee summed it all up:
“Your 2 counties out of over 3100+ in the country why do you think the federal government singled you out, the world doesn't revolve around LI.”

The above summed it all up. End of Thread.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:31 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
If that’s the case, why the nearly $3 billion shortfall in income tax collections? That’s because the top 1% in NY pay the vast majority of income tax. So if a few of them pull up anchor and move that can make a difference.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If that’s the case, why the nearly $3 billion shortfall in income tax collections? That’s because the top 1% in NY pay the vast majority of income tax. So if a few of them pull up anchor and move that can make a difference.
But I thought the plan was to tax them at 70%? That should keep them here.

Last edited by Spanky25; 02-05-2019 at 05:17 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 05:28 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
But I thought the plan was to tax them at 70%? That should keep them here.
Worked well for all those British rock stars years ago. Oh wait, they moved to France.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:53 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,928 times
Quote:
Population wise .. NYC has grown by a few hundred thousand since the last census.
NYC suburbs are pretty stagnant.
Upstate cities are not doing well at all. Most of the older cities have lost population since the sixties and are continuing to do so now. The rate might be slowing a bit, but still happening.

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 02-05-2019 at 06:09 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 08:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
All I know is there are apartment buildings being built all over LI right now. Someone is renting them or they wouldn’t keep throwing them up.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 PM

412 posts, read 289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
No tax cut? That’s strange. My entire family got a few bucks more per pay period. A few hundred more per month for my wife & I
What does that prove? You don't know what your tax burden for the past year is until your do your tax return. What is taken out of your paycheck is an estimate based on the number of allowances you claim in your w4.

Are you one of those adults that really has no idea how your taxes work? You could see less tax taken our of each paycheck meanwhile you owe more tax for the year; likewise you could see more tax taken out of each paycheck but owe less for the year.

When you do your return, you will see how much tax you payed for the year. You will also see what you should have paid. The delta determines if you get a refund or owe even more when you file. To determine how the law affects you, you need to compare your tax owed last year vs this year and see what rate that resolves to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island