Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,928 times

Advertisements

can anyone out there explain the rationale behind this ? Will young Tyler and Emma develop a lifetime phobia or disability if cold air comes in contact with their precious cheeks while they walk down the driveway for the bus that waits for them in front of their home ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,411 times
I think it has more to do with black ice on the roads and heating issues in the schools. It's going to take the schools a lot longer to heat themselves to room temperature on a day like today, so the 2 hour delay gives them that window.

It also allows the custodial crew to check the pipes and do other cold-weather maintenance this morning.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I think it has more to do with black ice on the roads and heating issues in the schools. It's going to take the schools a lot longer to heat themselves to room temperature on a day like today, so the 2 hour delay gives them that window.

It also allows the custodial crew to check the pipes and do other cold-weather maintenance this morning.
makes sense but I dunno seems like the young ones are too coddled today. In the prehistoric days when I attended school you would just sit there in the cold.
Black ice will be a problem throughout the day , hopefully highway depts. took care of all that last night.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,658 times
It has nothing to do with coddling the kids, it has to do with making sure everything is safe for the kids to go in. Why does it bother you so much? How is it affecting your day?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
makes sense but I dunno seems like the young ones are too coddled today. In the prehistoric days when I attended school you would just sit there in the cold.
Black ice will be a problem throughout the day , hopefully highway depts. took care of all that last night.
No more comparing prehistoric days unless we were actually better off.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:

Yeah, well your Grandparents thought you were lazy and spoiled as well, and considering that fact that you are probably a baby boomer, your generation for the most part has the least justification for the "back in my day" garbage. You didn't grow up during the depression.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
It has nothing to do with coddling the kids, it has to do with making sure everything is safe for the kids to go in. Why does it bother you so much? How is it affecting your day?
as someone who pays 8k /year in school taxes it does bother me and quite honestly I don't understand how it makes things safer. ok done with my rant

Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
can anyone out there explain the rationale behind this ? Will young Tyler and Emma develop a lifetime phobia or disability if cold air comes in contact with their precious cheeks while they walk down the driveway for the bus that waits for them in front of their home ?
You should see a psychiatrist and deal with this now. Irrational bitterness will only get worse as you age.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
as someone who pays 8k /year in school taxes it does bother me and quite honestly I don't understand how it makes things safer. ok done with my rant
I think if you led with this then you wouldn't get as much grief for it. There are already so many times when they can't be in school making you late for work or miss it altogether.

Next day off is MLK's birthday. Seriously...

I think we'll need one for Steve Jobs' birthday too for this generation.

/flamesuit

Old 01-07-2014, 07:15 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
We're having this same discussion on the Raleigh, NC city data page right now. Apparently some people are upset that schools were delayed two hours here due to the single digit temps and negative wind chills. Here it's mainly for the buses (no engine block heaters) and to make sure the schools are heated adequately before school starts. Some on our board think we're coddling the kids too much, but personally I don't have an issue with it, since I guarantee the buses had some issues getting started this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: