Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,470 times

Advertisements

Hi! Can you please help us, would love & greatly appreciate any opinions of families living in either Garden City or Cold Spring Harbor...especially anyone who may have recently relocated with children We’re relocating to LI from NJ and have heard great things about both Garden City and Cold Spring Harbor schools and communities. We’ve visited both & finding it like comparing apples to oranges in terms of towns - GC’s sidewalks, downtown & walkability vs CSH’s nature & more spacious properties. We’ve always lived in walkable towns with sidewalks but also like having nice size yard for kids to play and accessibility of nature. Both seem like great towns so know we can’t go wrong & def happy to live in either town but just want to find the town where our kids may fit in best as moving with two boys (entering 6th & 2nd grades) & a daughter entering kindergarten. We’re a down to earth family and our boys are truly good, nice boys, our daughter is tougher lol. 6th grade son swims competitively, plays baseball & plays trombone in all city band - is boys swimming popular in either GC or CSH schools? Not sure if CSH school can be too small especially for a boy entering in 6th grade- are friendships already very tight and harder to break in? We’re accustomed to larger schools so not sure if CSH tends to be cliquey? Or if GC cliquey? Obviously most concerned about 6th grade son though he’s adaptable & has moved well in the past but know it’s a tougher age to move & feel badly. I’m currently a SAHM but would love to return to work one day & my husband will be working in Uniondale so we know GC is obviously a more convenient choice- how long should the commute be for my husband with traffic from CSH? We’d all like my husband to be home in time for sports, etc.. I love diversity but from what I understand diversity is likely not an option in either GC or CSH is that correct? Is one more diverse or open & accepting than the other? Thank you so much for any input, very much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 05:09 AM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
We lived in GC for 13 years, DH grew up there. I grew up in Huntington on the border of CSH and had friends who went there.

I would not base your decision on walkability; the "village" of CSH is walkable and the "village" of Huntington is right next door. GC can get a little boring, it's a cute town but the kind of restaurants and entertainment you can get in Huntington - it doesn't compare.

CSH is a small district, moving in 6th grade can be tough at any age, frankly I would call the schools and ask how they help new kids integrate in such a small district and in what ways do they look out for new kids as they adjust. That is a reasonable question for anyone to ask. But, i would say all kids can find their niche. I had a friend that moved there in 8th grade, it wasn't easy for her but she found her people. It was easier for her younger siblings.

If you want a bigger property, CSH hands down is the winner.

There are no excellent school districts on Long Island with true diversity. Asians and Indians? Sure. Otherwise forget it. CSH and GC remain mostly lily-white.

Commute from CSH to Uniondale, maybe 30 minutes? Depends on where in CSH. GC definitely better for that. He could come home for lunch.

Cliques exist in every school in America. There is nothing you can do about it. You will notice it more in a smaller school. It also means if you get stuck with a "bad" class, you will have more problems. We moved when our oldest were 9, but I saw the writing on the wall with that class in second grade....and we've heard they have grown up to be a nasty, mean cliquey bunch. Lots of them chose to go to Catholic HS for that reason.

GC tends to be full of people who grew up there, and some will find a way to work that fact into every conversation (I'm not exaggerating). it can feel a little provincial at times.

CSH school district extends out to Lloyd Neck, which means if your kids have friends out there you may be doing a lot of driving!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:40 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea7 View Post
Hi! Can you please help us, would love & greatly appreciate any opinions of families living in either Garden City or Cold Spring Harbor...especially anyone who may have recently relocated with children We’re relocating to LI from NJ and have heard great things about both Garden City and Cold Spring Harbor schools and communities. We’ve visited both & finding it like comparing apples to oranges in terms of towns - GC’s sidewalks, downtown & walkability vs CSH’s nature & more spacious properties. We’ve always lived in walkable towns with sidewalks but also like having nice size yard for kids to play and accessibility of nature. Both seem like great towns so know we can’t go wrong & def happy to live in either town but just want to find the town where our kids may fit in best as moving with two boys (entering 6th & 2nd grades) & a daughter entering kindergarten. We’re a down to earth family and our boys are truly good, nice boys, our daughter is tougher lol. 6th grade son swims competitively, plays baseball & plays trombone in all city band - is boys swimming popular in either GC or CSH schools? Not sure if CSH school can be too small especially for a boy entering in 6th grade- are friendships already very tight and harder to break in? We’re accustomed to larger schools so not sure if CSH tends to be cliquey? Or if GC cliquey? Obviously most concerned about 6th grade son though he’s adaptable & has moved well in the past but know it’s a tougher age to move & feel badly. I’m currently a SAHM but would love to return to work one day & my husband will be working in Uniondale so we know GC is obviously a more convenient choice- how long should the commute be for my husband with traffic from CSH? We’d all like my husband to be home in time for sports, etc.. I love diversity but from what I understand diversity is likely not an option in either GC or CSH is that correct? Is one more diverse or open & accepting than the other? Thank you so much for any input, very much appreciated
Both are very nice, GC is defiantly more into sports, Good schools with diversity good luck. Half Hollow Hills is moderately diverse at 9% black 14% Asian 9% Spanish the rest White w/ 8300 students. You will find large homes on large lots in that district. If it was me I would choose CSH, but I value open space and nature over downtown plus CSH is close enough to Huntington Village.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
You didn't mention budget, but I'm assuming you've checked out potential properties in both GC and CSH. Anything decent in GC tends to be snapped up quickly, often for cash. Coming from NJ you'll be well-educated on property taxes as well.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:03 PM

731 posts, read 724,540 times
Why do parents have so much angst about "diversity" when 99% of kids do not care one iota?

Old 05-23-2018, 01:06 PM

3,516 posts, read 5,698,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea7 View Post

Both GC and CSH have swim teams. Boys season is short Nov-Feb. They are competitive and have cuts though, so I hope your kids are strong swimmers already or they are already on a USA Swimming Club team. Either way they should be on a USA Swimming Club team if they want to really compete.

If you are interested in club team, PM me and I can give you advice.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:28 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,704 times
Am I the only one who finds it funny that a poster who is concerned about diversity is talking about the two whitest and richest districts around? CSH is 92% white with a 1% economically disadvantaged rate and Garden City is 91% white with a 3% economically disadvantaged rate.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 05-23-2018 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-23-2018, 08:02 PM

20,028 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Cold Spring Harbor.
No contest.
Garden city has some fancy properties. Its mostly bland and congested.
I dont see the hoopla for GC.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Cold Spring Harbor.
No contest.
Garden city has some fancy properties. Its mostly bland and congested.
I dont see the hoopla for GC.

LOL sarcasm mode temporarily off

As someone who lived in CSH for 17 years, I have to agree.
With regard to entering 6th grade, your son should be okay. Junior High starts in 7th and is on the same grounds as the High School. One of my daughters started in CSH schools in 7th grade and made many lasting friendships.
The "downtown" is small but charming and attracts people from many areas. You have shopping with some quaint stores and even a few nice restaurants, one of which has live music on many evenings: https://www.grassosrestaurant.com/
You have the Whaling Museum, the Fish Hatchery, of course Cold Spring Harbor Labs, and a fabulous library with a beautiful view and many interesting programs. Plus you're right next door to downtown Huntington--which I often refer to as "the mini apple" as opposed to "the big apple" Go there for entertainment and dining and leave it behind for some peace and quiet a few minutes away. You'll also have a private beach for residents only (Eagle Dock - small annual fee)

I lived close to the Nature Conservancy and used to walk their grounds. Not too far away, in Lloyd Neck, is Caumsett State Park - great for exploring, bike riding, walking, etc.
If you like nature, you'll be happy here. We had the occasional red foxes, wild pheasants, etc. If you like fresh eggs, you can even have chickens (but no rooster! LOL).

Most properties have 2 acre zoning, although you can find some smaller properties.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:42 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
I love both towns but I would pick CSH.....a whole lot less traffic and airplane noise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island