Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 5,806 times

Advertisements

So my son attends public pre-k at our local school in new york city (6 hours and 30 min). We are thinking of moving to Long Island. however, the cut off for kindergarten is dec 1st. He just misses that by a few days. If we move, they might make him do pre-k all over again. However, the only pre-k classes available are only 2-3 hours rather than full day. He already knows how to count to 100 and his upper and lower cases, some sight words, etc so I think that he is ready for kindergarten. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:40 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
I would contact the school division(s) you anticipate moving too and asking them how they will place your son. Unlike NYC which is 1 School District Nassau County alone has 50+ districts,

Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
MY birthday is a few days before Dec 1st. My parents got to choose to either start me in K @ 4 going on 5 or @ 5 going on 6. Do they still give a choice? Not sure how that all works

Old 04-10-2019, 01:09 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,212,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
MY birthday is a few days before Dec 1st. My parents got to choose to either start me in K @ 4 going on 5 or @ 5 going on 6. Do they still give a choice? Not sure how that all works

Just curious what did they do? Make you the oldest in your class and one of the first to get their license? Or the youngest and last to drive?

Old 04-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Just curious what did they do? Make you the oldest in your class and one of the first to get their license? Or the youngest and last to drive?
I was the oldest.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:26 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Contact the registrar.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneny View Post
So my son attends public pre-k at our local school in new york city (6 hours and 30 min). We are thinking of moving to Long Island. however, the cut off for kindergarten is dec 1st. He just misses that by a few days. If we move, they might make him do pre-k all over again. However, the only pre-k classes available are only 2-3 hours rather than full day. He already knows how to count to 100 and his upper and lower cases, some sight words, etc so I think that he is ready for kindergarten. What would you do?
I would speak to someone who does K registration at the school district where you are considering purchasing. Knowledge of ABCs and 123s is good, but mental and physical maturity has to be taken into consideration as well.

I know of several people who deliberately held their children back a year -- despite their being born just before the 12/1 cutoff. In other words, there could be children in your son's class who are 18 - 20 months older than him -- if you push to have him placed in the class which was cutoff on 12/1. Some of these children will be better coordinated/hand eye/fine motor skills, more advanced at reading or math, better able to communicate verbally or on paper, and lastly, could be larger in size. Psychologically, this could have negative implications for a younger student.

My two children are grown. I witnessed the above first hand as my children made their way through school. Both were younger in their class; my second child was one of the youngest in her class. One of her classmates was 17 months older than her. Another was 20 months older. Nothing worse than having your child think they are dumb because they can't keep up with someone who should be a grade ahead of them.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:08 PM

252 posts, read 419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I would speak to someone who does K registration at the school district where you are considering purchasing. Knowledge of ABCs and 123s is good, but mental and physical maturity has to be taken into consideration as well.

I know of several people who deliberately held their children back a year -- despite their being born just before the 12/1 cutoff. In other words, there could be children in your son's class who are 18 - 20 months older than him -- if you push to have him placed in the class which was cutoff on 12/1. Some of these children will be better coordinated/hand eye/fine motor skills, more advanced at reading or math, better able to communicate verbally or on paper, and lastly, could be larger in size. Psychologically, this could have negative implications for a younger student.

My two children are grown. I witnessed the above first hand as my children made their way through school. Both were younger in their class; my second child was one of the youngest in her class. One of her classmates was 17 months older than her. Another was 20 months older. Nothing worse than having your child think they are dumb because they can't keep up with someone who should be a grade ahead of them.

Biggest mistake we made was sending our 4 year old son to Kindergarten because he made the 12/1 cut by 5 days.

4 days into the school year we were called to the school and the Kindergarten teacher and administrators urged us to pull him out, and put him in a full day Pre K program. He was not ready emotionally or mature enough. We took their advice and it was the best decision we ever made.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Truthfully I think it depends on each individual child, but I am actually grateful my parents held me back a year. I was still shortest in my class, lol, but conversely, also one of the smartest. I graduated top 50 in my high school class and today I am a successful adult with a good paying job. I am not saying that is the reason why, but I think it absolutely attributed to it. I was an honors student throughout all of my schooling. I envision if I started earlier, perhaps I would not have been as smart of some of the other kids.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:25 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
When I started school the cut off was Thanksgiving and my birthday was earlier in November so I started at 4.5. I was always one of the youngest and the tallest kids so everyone thought I was older than I was, it wasn't the best thing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island