Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,709 times

Advertisements

Looking for a well maintained, reasonably priced neighborhood. We looked in the Hunt Club. We were very impressed. It has new signs, mailboxes and appeared to be well maintained and the homes are very nice. Common charges are very low. Spoke with some nice people. We also read the rules and appeared to be very reasonable. Does anyone have any additional info?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 06:31 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,698,912 times
Avoid HOAs like the plague if you can...
There are always reasons for "special assessments"

Old 06-22-2019, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,709 times
I reviewed the financials for the Hint Club. Healthy reserves and never an assessment. Have you ever resided on an HOA?

Old 06-22-2019, 01:47 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
I find it's generally less about the rules themselves than the aggressiveness of enforcement.

I lived in a LI HOA and we were getting nailed with fines for things like soot on our gas fireplace exhaust. Never mind it wasn't visible from anywhere other than my property (and only if we walked outside around the side of the house which we rarely did.) Never mind that we did clean it periodically. Instead of paying $500 (really) every time there was a complaint I got out a long brush and some soap, cleaned it and took/sent a picture saying there was no problem. Note that the first notification we got of a complaint was the fine. Not very neighborly, is it? And again, the amount of soot was negligible.

I lived in a Florida HOA where the retirees were bored and kept on taking pictures of things like parking in the driveway (not the street, the driveway.) Eventually I was threatened by the management company that if I didn't park in the garage all the time my car would be towed. Really? The rules were written in such a way that you could interpret that you could never take your car out of the garage (i.e. "garage door must be closed at all times".)

Now I live in a Georgia HOA where the rules are about the same as LI, but the enforcement is much more laissez-faire, the way it should be. Nobody has trash around, parks their cars on the street, or RVs, and generally maintains their property.

Before buying I would have a chat with board members and the HOA President and find out (1) how long the President has served and plans to serve, and (2) what approach they take towards enforcement.

Maintenance and charges are nice. It's the neighbors ratting you out that becomes annoying, despite you following nearly all the rules nearly all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island