Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:49 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,615 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to Huntington, NY, and are wondering what the pros and cons are. I understand the town itself is very nice and may be the place for us. We have a budget of around $700K for a house and would probably be happiest near the town. The school system is neither here nor there since our kids are finished with public school.

We are also considering Greenlawn, another pretty spot -

So, if any of you are from there and have any advice or opinions of the place, your input would be of great value.

Many thanks for your help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 09:00 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
My family and I are considering moving to Huntington, NY, and are wondering what the pros and cons are. I understand the town itself is very nice and may be the place for us. We have a budget of around $700K for a house and would probably be happiest near the town. The school system is neither here nor there since our kids are finished with public school.

We are also considering Greenlawn, another pretty spot -

So, if any of you are from there and have any advice or opinions of the place, your input would be of great value.

Many thanks for your help!!!!

Well, if you don't care about schools, you should be close to the village, ai would think. The area is great, a few of my friends and co-workers live there, and love it. There area also some nice old homes close to town, too.

I think it would be a good move.

Good luck.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:11 AM

21 posts, read 126,929 times
Huntington is pretty and the village is fun. It's a nice place to live as far as atmosphere goes.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2007, 11:52 AM

40 posts, read 366,027 times
Centerport is also really nice. If you like to be close to the water you may want to look into Centerport. It's only a few minutes away from Huntington.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
It is a lovely area. Try to go north of 25 A- Huntington, Centerport, Northport... all are in Huntington & all have their charms. Just drive around, it is hard to go wrong if schools are not an issue for you.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds as if everything is good there, but seems as if the schools in Huntington aren't that good, or is it my imagination?

Yes, now my kids are in college complete with all of the bills that come with that. At least we don't have to go looking for good public schools anymore.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:34 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default Huntington schools not good??

Wow the Huntington NY schools are not that good? Where did you read or hear this? I cant say much since i moved away from Huntington 10 years ago, but back then the schools rated excellent and i was under the impression that the schools there were still fine.

I would like to hear how the Huntington schools are myself.

The taxes might be high there though.But heck where on LI arent the taxes high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds as if everything is good there, but seems as if the schools in Huntington aren't that good, or is it my imagination?

Yes, now my kids are in college complete with all of the bills that come with that. At least we don't have to go looking for good public schools anymore.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Check out what GCGuy wrote -

So I did a little investigating and it turns out that School District #3 in Huntington has problems - particularly at the high school level.

It seems as if there's some desegregating taking place through bussing the kids around the district, and there's a large non-English speaking population currently attending Southdown School (elementary) that has a large English as a Second Language Dept.

From what I can gather, about 25 years ago welfare housing was built in Huntington Station at the train station. That particular area is included in district #3 even though it's technically part of Huntington Station and not part of Huntington (you know how these slivers of edging of geographical areas are included in school districts).

Once that happened the problems began.

Children of people who live in Halesite had their kids bussed up to the elementary school in the welfare apartment vicinity, and those kids of the welfare apartments were bussed back to Halesite. And I'm just guessing, but more than likely the same thing happened with the Southdown school. I don't know how many elementary schools there are in the district currently, but it seems as if this has been taking place for years.

There's one junior high for the district and one high school. I don't know how many kids go to the junior high, but the high school isn't filled to capacity by any means.

And I've heard there's trouble at the high school, but I can't be definitive about it - I wasn't told anything specific.

There are people in Huntington who send their kids to the public schools and have no problems. I guess it all depends on who kids hang around with and who they pick for friends.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 20,258 times
What are the cons of living in the deer park section of Huntington

Old 10-28-2015, 08:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,249 times
Greenlawn is closer to the Long Island Expressway, Huntington is further north. During busy traffic, traveling to and from Huntington will take a while. The village area of Huntington is very nice and the restaurants are terrific. Parking in the village area, and surrounding streets is quite limited, it'll feel like Queens when you have trouble finding a parking space. I think it's nicer to visit than to live there. I think Greenlawn is more calm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island