Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:06 PM

111 posts, read 412,874 times

Advertisements

Lets talk about taxes in suffolk and how we can lower them. If that's possible. My taxes are 13K and going up another 1200 because I lost my vet credit. I purchased it from a vet. I live in smithtown and they assessed my house 740K I purchased my house for 655K whats the deal? Shouldnt I have paid less? Thanks ahead for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 06:06 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Greive your taxes.......do it soon before the deadline is up.

Only way to lower taxes is to consolidate services and districts. Thats not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:21 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giznot View Post
Lets talk about taxes in suffolk and how we can lower them. If that's possible. My taxes are 13K and going up another 1200 because I lost my vet credit. I purchased it from a vet. I live in smithtown and they assessed my house 740K I purchased my house for 655K whats the deal? Shouldnt I have paid less? Thanks ahead for any advice.

Good luck with lowering them, you'll need it.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Talking As a New Long Islander, Here is What You Need to Know ...

In pictures ...

1 = Your house as seen by yourself

2 = Your house as seen by your buyer

3 = Your house as seen by your lender

4 = Your house as seen by your appraiser

5 = Your house as seen by your Long Island tax assessor
Attached Thumbnails
TAXES TAXES TAXES Need  I say more?-yourself.bmp   TAXES TAXES TAXES Need  I say more?-buyer.bmp   TAXES TAXES TAXES Need  I say more?-lender.bmp   TAXES TAXES TAXES Need  I say more?-appraiser.bmp   TAXES TAXES TAXES Need  I say more?-tax-assessor.bmp  

Old 05-05-2008, 07:53 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In pictures ...

1 = Your house as seen by yourself

2 = Your house as seen by your buyer

3 = Your house as seen by your lender

4 = Your house as seen by your appraiser

5 = Your house as seen by your Long Island tax assessor
Ha! I love that!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giznot View Post
How did you lose you Vet credit? If you are a vet I am unaware of any reason you wouldn't get it.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
They're not a vet, they purchased it from a vet and the county didn't update the tax rolls until now.

FYI if Suffolk is like Nassau..... you WILL have to pay that back, the tax differental for the time you took the vet credit but weren't a vet.

I knew this when I bought my house. 1 year later I get a $3000 bill

Old 05-12-2008, 02:10 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
In order to lower your property taxes, attack the major source of high and constantly increasing property taxes by electing school board members who will reduce costs by standing up to the teachers' union and lower, not raise, teachers' salaries and who will also eliminate two-thirds of the administrative positions.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 05-12-2008 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Change eMail notification

Old 05-12-2008, 06:04 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,366 times
I hate to say it.. but the ONLY way to truly lower property taxes is... to move!!!

that's just what we plan on doing..

I feel there is really no hop for LI. Atlest not soon enough for me. See.. LI really needs a shake up..

First.. you need to consolidate all the special districts, town.. blah blah blah. We've sliced and diced LI into so many sections and sub sections to the point it's absolutely ridiculous. All this is so that there can be "local control". I have to laugh when people argue about having "local control" over their block, neighborhood.. then pick up the paper and read about those "politicians" and divisions withint he divisions that have been basically "steeling" money from all of us.. which shows we hvae NO control.. obviously.. as our taxes our WAY out of hand.

Consolidate allt he school districts into 2.. Nassau and Suffolk.. this would eliminate there being 6 billion school boards with people on the boards who dont' know how to negotiate themselves out of a paper bag!! That.. and the teachers union.. being one CENTRALIZED union pretty much has all the small UNCENTRALIZED school districts by the proverbial ..well you know..those things that dangle between a man's legs..LOL. I'm trying to be humerous while stating facts folks..

I know.. you'll all argue against consolidation.. god forgid your kid has to go to school with a 'less priveledged child".. .. will never happen on LI because of the fear that .. oh goodness.. your BMW driving kids from teh North shore will have to go to school with a public transporation ridign family from the south shore.. No.. I'm not saying that all people on the NOrth shore are spoiled.. Im' making a point.. and I'm sure most of you are getting my point.

EVeryone complains about the taxes and then come budget vote time you all go to the polls and vote YES!!! so you willingly allow them to keep raising your taxes.!! How about standing up and saying NO!! that won't happen either.. because the instant someone says "you're abad parent and don't care about your kids if you vote no".. you all start worrying about what that means... Really. to me means that I'm showing I'd rather spend time with my family than be a slave to my taxes..

Once your done consolidating everything.. you'll get rid of all the nepitism.. you'll also uncover a lot more theft and ridiculous priveledges and perks that get doled out that the rest of us are slaving away to pay for..

People.. let's face it.. it's a sad day when families making double the middle income in this country are struggling to get by.. and parents have to have 3 sometimes 4 jobs between them just to pay the bills..never mind savings for kids colleges..

Sorry to sound like a negative nelly.. but I'm fed up.. and I just dont' see any changes that really need to be made being made here until some of the prententiousness of what LI is and is supposed to be gets dropped.

Oh.. and to get them slightly lowered for now.. grieve the taxes.. that should help.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,089 times
I think your points are valid; however, if you do consolidate into just 2 districts, you face a lot of the problems that, for instance, Cary, NC is facing. Yes, the schools rate well, but it is in the media all the time for mass confusion within the district. Kids are getting rezoned all the time, the overcrowding is so bad that there are trailors for additional classes, and most of the schools have switched over to year round calendars in order to provide education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island