Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 10:05 AM

226 posts, read 129,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
No. But my oil stock are doing amazing! It’s called hedge your bets!
Diversification is great. But diversification also works against your Amazon + 401k argument.

Quote:
Think about all of the mid level/middle class salaries this would create!: Truck drivers, truck repairs, Accounting, PC/Tech, shipping, repairs & services needed to operate a warehouse, machinery. Lunch stores, The list goes on & on!
Like I said, if a tax break is the difference between them coming or not, it's at least debatable whether to grant the break. But if they're coming anyway, regardless of the incentive, then...what is the point of the incentive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 10:10 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,534,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
Diversification is great. But diversification also works against your Amazon + 401k argument.

Like I said, if a tax break is the difference between them coming or not, it's at least debatable whether to grant the break. But if they're coming anyway, regardless of the incentive, then...what is the point of the incentive?
It’s called good business. It’s called negotiating. It’s call risk & reward. It’s called economic growth. I can go on & on. Unfortunately, this is the way our economic system works. Do I agree with it, absolutely not!

The cities & towns could care less. It’s all about producing tax revenue. Give a few million in tax breaks for a few hundred million in tax revenue from the workers.

Besides tax breaks, what about the rent & utilities? Isn’t that why Entermans left? Then everyone wanted to know “what happened to all those jobs”.

Last edited by Spanky25; 03-20-2021 at 10:30 AM..

Old 03-20-2021, 11:14 AM

226 posts, read 129,303 times
Quote:
It’s called good business. It’s called negotiating. It’s call risk & reward. It’s called economic growth. I can go on & on. Unfortunately, this is the way our economic system works. Do I agree with it, absolutely not!

The cities & towns could care less. It’s all about producing tax revenue. Give a few million in tax breaks for a few hundred million in tax revenue from the workers.

Besides tax breaks, what about the rent & utilities? Isn’t that why Entermans left? Then everyone wanted to know “what happened to all those jobs”.
OK, so just to be clear, if a company (Amazon or whoever) has already decided to set up shop somewhere (LI or wherever) before any discussion of tax breaks, you would still give them the tax break?

Old 03-20-2021, 01:57 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times
Quote:
Absolutely! I’ll post again! It’s not all about Amazon:

Think about all of the mid level/middle class salaries this would create!: Truck drivers, truck repairs, Accounting, PC/Tech, shipping, repairs & services needed to operate a warehouse, machinery. Lunch stores, The list goes on & on!
Will also keep our utility companies busy! So, it’s not just about “Amazon”
Basic economics.
Except the idea is to create high paying jobs that support the area. Van repair and lunch trucks aren't really the boom town industries Austin and even Rochester are attracting. And we have to bribe them to boot.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:02 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times
Quote:
Give a few million in tax breaks for a few hundred million in tax revenue from the workers.
So basically "give the company welfare off the backs of the workers."

We all agree, we're buying crappy jobs and overpaying for them. And we're grateful for the opportunity. #winning?!

Last edited by monstermagnet; 03-20-2021 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-20-2021, 03:44 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
OK, so just to be clear, if a company (Amazon or whoever) has already decided to set up shop somewhere (LI or wherever) before any discussion of tax breaks, you would still give them the tax break?
That's about the size of it.

Consider the fossil fuel industry, one of the most profitable & privileged sectors of the economy:

It Is Time to Phase Out 9 Unnecessary Oil and Gas Tax Breaks

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...as-tax-breaks/

State & local governments also hand out corporate welfare, often with no strings attached, it's not just in NY, & on LI. For example, Boeing in WA, got welfare, with the idea they would "maintain & grow its workforce within the state". What did they do? Laid off 12,000 or more of their workers.

Some of these 'welfare kings' just move from state to state.

Boeing makes it official, moves 787 production from Seattle to South Carolina

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bo...na-01601597096

Old 03-20-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not! Sad we give BILLIONS to foreign countries who hate us, but some refuse to give tax breaks for economic growth.

Last edited by Spanky25; 03-20-2021 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Except the idea is to create high paying jobs that support the area. Van repair and lunch trucks aren't really the boom town industries Austin and even Rochester are attracting. And we have to bribe them to boot.
So all of the above that I mentioned has zero economic value?

Old 03-20-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
So basically "give the company welfare off the backs of the workers."

We all agree, we're buying crappy jobs and overpaying for them. And we're grateful for the opportunity. #winning?!
We all have choices!

Last edited by Spanky25; 03-20-2021 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-20-2021, 08:27 PM

Maybe they should just put section 8 housing in that Amazon spot instead?
That’s financially subsidized too. I keep reading on here how LI needs affordable housing. Just NIMBY.

I wonder what’s going to happen with all these strip malls that are vacant? Example: Sunrise Highway in Bohemia (Next to Bed Bath & Beyond) Should they give tax incentives for businesses to lease the space or just leave it empty? After all, im sure the residents are now picking up on the tab for the lost property tax revenue. (My taxes went up $850 this year, Another subject) Possibly Re-Zone and build Condos?

Last edited by Spanky25; 03-20-2021 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island