Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 07:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

We want to look into potentially buying a waterfront home. We understand the risks of living by the water. I have lived on LI my whole life and was in Long Beach during Sandy. I know what can happen. We have really good flood insurance and are willing to take a risk.

That said, as we just started looking, there's not too much out there. Money is not an issue, mostly it's just finding the right, safe, good house for us. We don't need schools, we don't have kids.

I found a few homes in Amityville Harbor that look beautiful. I'm a Nassau girl but I know Amityville itself isn't the greatest. I also know it's like similar to Freeport ... I have lived in the 'bad' Freeport and we are willing to entertain the 'good' Freeport. Any concerns about AH? Is it really nice near the water? We're ok with a 'not so nice' main town area, as long as where we are living is nice. Is the whole town crappy or mostly just the Northern part? What is it like for flooding? I know Lindy floods like crazy, is AH like that? What are the people like?

I know the schools are not good, but as mentioned we don't need schools and if we buy this, resale value wouldn't matter b/c we would plan to keep it forever. I just don't know too much about Amityville and I guess my concerns are like the flooding, but also is it like possible Amityville could get any worse?

We are going to look @ the area next week but helpful if anyone knows anything about this area and can weigh in? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 08:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
If schools are not an issue I would have no issue at all buying waterfront in Amityville!

The only thing is that you would be buying at the peak of the market. And 2nd interest rates are at a all time low. So in the future I could see a lot of stagnant growth when rates go up. And this is for all LI not just A-ville.

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2021, 08:06 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Village of Amityville is great with the exception of the schools.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Village of Amityville is great with the exception of the schools.
Is village of Amityville the same thing as Amityville Harbor?

Old 03-23-2021, 08:49 AM

81 posts, read 68,082 times
Yes, the village of Amityville is the same as Amityville Harbor. However the shady part of Amityville is this complete separate hamlet called North Amityville and the only reason they get lumped together all the time is because they share the same zip code and schools. If you are going for a house in Amityville Harbor and are planning to stay forever and don't have kids, I would say go for it as Amityville Harbor is a nice area and is mainly upper middle class. You also have the flood insurance so I think you should be fine. Just like nassau2suffolk said though, be aware of the market at this time. Anyway, good luck with your move

Old 03-23-2021, 12:54 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
We have really good flood insurance and are willing to take a risk.
how does one know this before they buy?

Old 03-23-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
how does one know this before they buy?
Because i know what co we’ll use & about what rate we’ll get

Old 03-23-2021, 01:39 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Because i know what co we’ll use & about what rate we’ll get
the premium is dependent on several variables you won't know until you buy.

You should really get smart on this before you buy. There is a ton of information on this topic available online. And ask the sellers what they're paying, if anything.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:25 PM

111 posts, read 108,018 times
Try islip.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longislandguy7545 View Post
Try islip.
Too far. I will resume my job in NYC @ some point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island