Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,478,817 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any other high speed internet service providers on LI besides Cablevision/Optimum or Verizon FiOS? FiOs is not in my area yet (and it may not be for another year or so!) and I'm trying to get rid of Optimum but I still need high-speed access.

I currently have the Optimum "Triple Play" and it's just too expensive! ($157/mo). I can do without the phone service (I have 4 cell phones) and I can downgrade my TV to "Family Cable" but I still need high-speed internet. I called Cablevision but, of course, it would cost me basically the same amount because I get the "discount" for having all 3 services. I think the difference was about $17/mo.

I can't get anything with a satellite dish (which I think verizon does) because I rent and I don't want to mess with my LLs property.

Does anyone know of a high-speed service provider??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:08 PM

67 posts, read 639,627 times
Well you can get Verizon DSL since FiOS isn't in the area yet. If you plan on doing any gaming, dont get satellite you will not be able to get a good online play experience. Satellite is about 60 or 70 a month and the equipment is a few hundred.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM

563 posts, read 2,571,680 times
I would assume that if you cannot get Fios, then you are left with two alternatives, optimum (cable) or DSL (verizon). I would not even bother entertaining the satellite idea for internet service.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,518,180 times
I don't think there are any others, and Verizon DSL is going to be significantly slower than Optimum. I've also heard that FiOS has a lot of hidden fees - especially for their TV service - and does not necessarily mean faster internet.

How about just ditching everything except the internet connection? The only show I watch is The Office and I end up catching it on nbc.com more often than not. I'd go nuts without SNY or ESPN though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island