Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 03:45 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times

Advertisements

Long before Covid hit, the US Post Office went to part timers to deliver mail. No big bene's required. So this is not new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 03:52 PM

690 posts, read 584,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Long before Covid hit, the US Post Office went to part timers to deliver mail. No big bene's required. So this is not new.
Really? Bc my bosses kid has a full time gig there with fantastic benefits. One year probation, got a paid week off for anniversary of hire date, while they decided it they would keep him, which they did. I'm not knocking the job, it's hard work, but they def offer full time, and many benefits some should be so lucky to have at that skill set.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:06 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Keep on printing bring on the inflation!!!!!! The increase in costs of consumer goods will never ever come close to increases in my stocks, RE investments and Personal home. If your invested in the Markets and owned property pre covid your sitting pretty. If not, well its a uphill battle.
Lol I wonder how many people bragged they same thing before the depression. Or in any country that had hyperinflation where property became near worthless as well. No one knows what the future holds.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:59 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Really? Bc my bosses kid has a full time gig there with fantastic benefits. One year probation, got a paid week off for anniversary of hire date, while they decided it they would keep him, which they did. I'm not knocking the job, it's hard work, but they def offer full time, and many benefits some should be so lucky to have at that skill set.
I agree the bene's are great. BIL is retired USPS. Maybe it is not going on now, but they were only hiring part timers for letter carriers. The good ones could be promoted to full time.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:21 PM

690 posts, read 584,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I agree the bene's are great. BIL is retired USPS. Maybe it is not going on now, but they were only hiring part timers for letter carriers. The good ones could be promoted to full time.
I always said to myself, if god forbid my career went south, wouldn't be a bad gig. Great exercise too!

Old 05-25-2021, 05:41 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Perhaps a good point, except it is not true. It is also not a good point, since this facility replaced a Waldbaums that was not providing any higher wages or better careers. And, the wages included healthcare. But don't let the facts get in the way of complaining.

“Will there be an IDA tax benefits been given for Brisbane-Steel or Amazon?†he asked, referring to the county’s Industrial Development Agency.

“No, we have not pursued any tax breaks for this project,†Griggs replied, and to a follow-up question from Gaffney, said that included asking for relief from sales tax for construction materials.

https://thewestburytimes.com/2020/08...lans-unveiled/
Your link is to the Carle Place site, the smallest and most important in the center of Nassau County. My point and almost all discussions on here regarding Amazon allude to the long thread on the new site in Syosset which will get $72m in breaks, which is fine if they remediate the property. Likely they'll still lay it on the taxpayers somehow. Shirley is just straight free money for $15hr jobs, any way you slice it. Frankly I love Amazon, they just don't need the breaks. And they certainly aren't good for Main St, USA.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
If the taxpayer gives out the tax breaks by voting in the pols then who is at fault?
We don't vote for IDAs. The blue and red moron teams appoint them. Using tax money to pretend to buy jobs is how they get reelected. They rarely deliver as promised.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:13 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Really? So if it isn't the employer's job to keep employee "above water," why is it the taxpayer's job to keep the company "above water" via tax breaks? The employee is still paying his taxes regardless, so should the company.

Here is how 'tax breaks' work.

Jurisdiction can collect $0 dollars on an un used or under utilized location.

Company comes and offers to pay the jurisdiction $70 in taxes instead of the $100 they should be paying. Company brings improved infrastructure and jobs. Govt/jurisdiction can now tax the new employees' salary for an additional $15.
New employees have additional discretionary income to spend so they buy things (houses, cars, clothes, food etc).
Govt/Jurisdiction can collect an additional $5 in taxes from discretionary spending.

So the gov't /jurisdiction collects $90 in taxes in all and they did not have to lift a finger to start and operate a business. They get to claim that they brought jobs and prosperity to their jurisdiction. Everyone wins

OR they can withhold their tax breaks and the company takes their business elsewhere and the gov't/jurisdiction collects $0. No new jobs created. No additional discretionary income. People start leaving the neighborhood because it is 'stagnant'. More tax base is lost ....etc etc...

Tax breaks DOES NOT require tax payers to pay extra taxes to float a company.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:31 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,877 times
We all have choices!

Old 05-27-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Here is how 'tax breaks' work.

Jurisdiction can collect $0 dollars on an un used or under utilized location.

Company comes and offers to pay the jurisdiction $70 in taxes instead of the $100 they should be paying. Company brings improved infrastructure and jobs. Govt/jurisdiction can now tax the new employees' salary for an additional $15.
New employees have additional discretionary income to spend so they buy things (houses, cars, clothes, food etc).
Govt/Jurisdiction can collect an additional $5 in taxes from discretionary spending.

So the gov't /jurisdiction collects $90 in taxes in all and they did not have to lift a finger to start and operate a business. They get to claim that they brought jobs and prosperity to their jurisdiction. Everyone wins

OR they can withhold their tax breaks and the company takes their business elsewhere and the gov't/jurisdiction collects $0. No new jobs created. No additional discretionary income. People start leaving the neighborhood because it is 'stagnant'. More tax base is lost ....etc etc...

Tax breaks DOES NOT require tax payers to pay extra taxes to float a company.
Nice theory, not reality on Long Island. Here our IDA's entice companies to "promise" a certain # of jobs for certain tax incentives (breaks, credits, abatements, preferential zoning, etc). Those "incentives" come directly from the tax base, ie ME and YOU. The county and schools have a levy/budget. It's fixed. If Joe Big Box Store doesn't pay their tax, the rest of us pick up the slack by paying more. Welcome to Nassau County. Even the poorest taxpayer pays into industrial development. We all pay to support that company under all those promises (infrastructure, blah blah) which rarely materialize as advertised yet NO ONE EVER claws back the money (well rarely and only after long expensive legal battles which of course, we pay for).

If they leave, fine, that's what they've been doing for years. Joe Nimby can learn how to vote for people who understand industry and competitiveness and real industrial development and choose to compete. Handouts to mega-corps for dirt wage jobs isn't industrial development. In theory, great idea, in practice, more fleecing of the taxpayer for little reward besides traffic and taxes.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 05-27-2021 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island