Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2022, 12:54 PM

1,773 posts, read 3,243,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am not commenting on the Gov as I am not a political person and know little about his present policies or former policies. I will however comment on the fact that the last thing NY needed was additional money for Sandy relief. There was something like 500 million raised, there was a concert and every agency imaginable had funding. I was an emergency preparedness worker in the days during and after the hurricane and as such was privy to avenues to assist those who were in need. Believe me, that was a total disaster and I am speaking about a good portion of the assistance available and not the actual hurricane. The abuse was beyond the pale.
Yes, I agree with you for the most part. I worked with a few people who had significant damage from Sandy (not wealthy since they worked where I did haha) and lived on/near the bay in Babylon/Lindenhurst. One of them did the right thing - had significant homeowners/flood insurance in advance, and received virtually nothing from Sandy relief aid since they had insurance. Naturally the insurance company didn't pay them near enough to cover the damage, and they spent well over 100k of their own $$ to rebuild. Others who didn't have sufficient insurance seemed to do better -- faster and larger payouts. "No good deed goes unpunished" as they say.
Before Sandy, one co-worker kept complaining that the bay was washing up on her front lawn. You have to wonder about the sanity of living there.
But remember there was tons of public infrastructure that was damaged by the storm - railroad/subway tunnels . Lower Manhattan was such a mess.
Like many posters here , I do wonder about the sanity of living in a place that has a high certainty of hurricanes. A friend in Panama City FL has had two homes blown away by hurricanes. Still lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 01:07 PM

20,176 posts, read 20,953,859 times
I had insurance. I hired a PA and received enough money to rebuild my house.
I did ALL of the work myself so I actually ended up with enough in labor cost savings to make upgrades/improvements. I did not take a penny of government blood money, and most likely I was in the pool of people that probably deserved some of it due to my finance. I did alright though, had a modest house with astronomical property taxes of course. But I’ve never been one to live beyond my means. Only ever bought what we could afford. We avoided credit at all costs.
Pretty much the mortgage and maybe a car payment at times. But yeah I remember being at work right after Sandy and hearing these skells brag about the “free” money. I knew these people, and I knew they had little to no damage and were in good financial shape. It made my blood boil over. Here I am, lost nearly everything, and these scumbags are complaining about the electric being off. That, being the only thing bad to happen. People suck.

Old 09-29-2022, 05:35 PM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I had insurance. I hired a PA and received enough money to rebuild my house.
I did ALL of the work myself so I actually ended up with enough in labor cost savings to make upgrades/improvements. I did not take a penny of government blood money, and most likely I was in the pool of people that probably deserved some of it due to my finance. I did alright though, had a modest house with astronomical property taxes of course. But I’ve never been one to live beyond my means. Only ever bought what we could afford. We avoided credit at all costs.
Pretty much the mortgage and maybe a car payment at times. But yeah I remember being at work right after Sandy and hearing these skells brag about the “free” money. I knew these people, and I knew they had little to no damage and were in good financial shape. It made my blood boil over. Here I am, lost nearly everything, and these scumbags are complaining about the electric being off. That, being the only thing bad to happen. People suck.
My MAGA sister lives in Naples, and I can assure you she will be the first one on line for any money she can get. She also finagled FAFSA money somehow while her husband worked on Wall St and they owned two houses. But it's ok because they "work hard".

She continually has bad karma things happen to her and she doesn't change. I totally believe in it but she's entirely lacking in self awareness.

Old 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM

20,176 posts, read 20,953,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My MAGA sister lives in Naples, and I can assure you she will be the first one on line for any money she can get. She also finagled FAFSA money somehow while her husband worked on Wall St and they owned two houses. But it's ok because they "work hard".

She continually has bad karma things happen to her and she doesn't change. I totally believe in it but she's entirely lacking in self awareness.
It’s sickening. It’s one thing if you work hard, live within your means and hit a bump in the road and need a little help. My problem is with these skells who get their jollies off bucking the system. All proud because they got one over. Or just feel entitled to something “because”.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:03 PM

13,064 posts, read 18,175,579 times
Quote:

Speaking of the hurricane, are you going to be impacted? We have been told to expect rip currents and erosion. We are also in for the potential of up to 5 inches of rain by Tuesday. I am a little under 2 miles from the beach by choice when we bought. After working on the end results of Sandy, I was not going to put us any closer.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:56 PM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Speaking of the hurricane, are you going to be impacted? We have been told to expect rip currents and erosion. We are also in for the potential of up to 5 inches of rain by Tuesday. I am a little under 2 miles from the beach by choice when we bought. After working on the end results of Sandy, I was not going to put us any closer.
yeah it's going to be pass over NC tomorrow, they're saying rain and very windy - doesn't feel like a tropical system is coming it's chilly and was windy today. I think the airmass in place here is going to diminish it before it moves on. I'm expecting to lose power because I lose power just thinking about it (so much for underground service!).

I would never live waterfront. Just asking for trouble.

Old 12-01-2023, 03:11 PM

148 posts, read 125,070 times
Nothing is cheaper except taxes anymore. If the difference in tax does it for you, then it's a done deal. If you can afford your current life, don't try to convince yourself that you NEED to move. Moving is a BIG deal.

Old 12-01-2023, 05:21 PM

88 posts, read 26,818 times
Quote:

I applaud your sister. She should get hers just like the illegals do.

Old 12-01-2023, 06:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 572,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightTalker2022 View Post
Nothing is cheaper except taxes anymore. If the difference in tax does it for you, then it's a done deal. If you can afford your current life, don't try to convince yourself that you NEED to move. Moving is a BIG deal.

This may even change if we see an increase in families with school-age children leaving. The stereotypical NY-to-FL candidate is a retiree who leaves the second the kids finish high school. If New Yorkers flood the area expecting the same level of services and schools, expect taxes to quickly follow to make it happen.

Old 12-06-2023, 05:32 AM

133 posts, read 104,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
It will be FL so they have higher sales tax. Cheaper prop taxes and no state cap gains offsets everything by far. We already have the house, it has 28 years left at 2.75%. It’s rented now we aren’t even paying for it!! Make that $$ in NY then leave.
Where in Florida is your house and do you have flood insurance on it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island