Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2023, 01:39 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,413,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah but it’s relative in many areas.
You aren’t always necessarily taking a pay “cut”.
Some areas $60 or $70k is the equivalent of $120k in the NY metro area, and for the most part the housing stock will always be much lower priced. For anyone that really wants out, if you do a little homework and some math, you may just find the perfect place. If you flat out live breathe and die NY/LI, well, ain’t much you can do aside from snagging the highest paying job you can.
The other thing that’s super important to me is safety. Whether one likes Nassau County or not, the stats say that Nassau County comes in at the safest county in America virtually every year. Thats holds it worth in gold to me. I have lived in Nassau most my whole life & I have never had single incident here. Of course things happen here, but most other places are statistically more dangerous.

You pay for things like safety & good schooling
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not sure where this one is coming from. Nassau-Suffolk always ranks as one of the lowest crime rates of any metro in the U.S
This. Nassau has ranked safest county in America for like the last 5 years or something & Suffolk is very much near the top also.

Old 03-12-2023, 02:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 20,967,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This. Nassau has ranked safest county in America for like the last 5 years or something & Suffolk is very much near the top also.
Lol. There’s plenty of safe places to live in this country.
Like if you move to the #12 safest county you might get dead within the first week living there?
C’mon. Of course safety has its merits, but less safe doesn’t necessarily mean more dangerous.

Old 03-12-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Lol. There’s plenty of safe places to live in this country.
Like if you move to the #12 safest county you might get dead within the first week living there?
C’mon. Of course safety has its merits, but less safe doesn’t necessarily mean more dangerous.
More safe does more less dangerous … if not what does it mean then?. Im not saying something will happen elsewhere if u move there or that something wont happen here but LI is really pretty safe compared to a large part of the country.

Old 03-12-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
More safe does more less dangerous … if not what does it mean then?. Im not saying something will happen elsewhere if u move there or that something wont happen here but LI is really pretty safe compared to a large part of the country.
Safer from the boogeyman yes, but you have an extremely high chance of being murdered by a motor vehicle.
In numerous ways.

Old 03-12-2023, 02:31 PM

252 posts, read 457,936 times
Could posters share the stats they use to make these statements:

"the stats say that Nassau County comes in at the safest county in America virtually every year"

"Nassau has ranked safest county in America for like the last 5 years or something"

The figures I'm looking at show Nassau ranks outside the top 10 among New York's 62 safest counties on both violent crime rate and property crime rate.

https://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/c...crimestats.htm

Old 03-12-2023, 02:43 PM

I know that in my old hood in south Nassau, crime is way up.
Mostly property crime. And I know a lot of it doesn’t even get reported officially or at all.
I see the posts from the Karen’s on the community bulletin boards tearing each other to shreds over calling/not calling the cops, posting the ring videos of the car thefts and break ins, people on their property, the hit n run accidents, vandalism, and so on. And I still get the local alerts from my security app because I never changed it when I moved.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
Could posters share the stats they use to make these statements:

"the stats say that Nassau County comes in at the safest county in America virtually every year"

"Nassau has ranked safest county in America for like the last 5 years or something"

The figures I'm looking at show Nassau ranks outside the top 10 among New York's 62 safest counties on both violent crime rate and property crime rate.

https://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/c...crimestats.htm
Here is one source:

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthie...erica?slide=25

& about 6 or 7 other NY counties are on here as well.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:56 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,271,356 times
Quote:
The important thing is who is killing who.
Exactly. Murder rate alone means nothing. Random crime is not the same as targeted crime.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:19 AM

42 posts, read 37,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is a good source to view information in relation to income and housing cost at the median level: https://www.nahb.org/news-and-econom...ortunity-index (click on Complete Listing by Affordability Rank, Q3 2022 information)

You may be surprised by the areas at the top of the list, which means that means more opportunity to housing based upon median family income and median home sales price. The criteria does include property taxes, by the way.

Methodology

For income, NAHB uses the annual median family income estimates for metropolitan areas published by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. NAHB assumes that a family can afford to spend 28 percent of its gross income on housing; this is a conventional assumption in the lending industry. That share of median income is then divided by twelve to arrive at a monthly figure

On the cost side, NAHB receives every month a CD of sales transaction records from CoreLogic. The data include information on state, county, date of sale, and sales price of homes sold. The monthly principal and interest that an owner would pay is based on the assumption of a 30 year fixed rate mortgage, with a loan for 90 percent of the sales price (i.e., 10 percent downpayment). The interest rate is an average of the 30-year fixed effective rate from Freddie Mac’s Primary Mortgage Market Survey during that quarter. In addition to principal and interest, cost also includes estimated property taxes and property insurance for that home. This is based on metropolitan estimates of tax and insurance rates from the the most recent American Community Survey. Mortgage insurance is not currently a component of the HOI.

Therefore, for each record, there is an estimated monthly cost and available income share. The HOI is the share of records in a metropolitan area for which the monthly income available for housing is at or above the monthly cost for that unit.

Keep in mind that housing makes up the biggest portion of cost of living. Just so people don't think I'm making that up: "Average annual expenditures for all consumer units(1) in 2021 were $66,928, a 9.1-percent increase from 2020,
the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. (See table A.) During the same period, the Consumer Price
Index (CPI-U) rose 4.7 percent, and average income before taxes increased 3.7 percent.

The average annual expenditures of 2021 were broken down into fourteen major components, nine of which are shown
in table B. The tenth category shown, “other expenditures,” is the aggregate of the five smallest components.(2)
Overall, housing accounted for the highest share (33.8 percent), followed by transportation (16.4 percent),
food (12.4 percent), and personal insurance and pensions (11.8 percent).

Among the fourteen major components of household spending, the largest increase in expenditures was in
entertainment (+22.7 percent), followed closely by a 22.3-percent rise in apparel and services spending.
In contrast, only education expenditures decreased (-3.5 percent) from 2020 to 2021."

Source: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/ces...11.8%20percent).

But look at some of the "Most Affordable" in Northern NY. Elmira, Utica / Rome, Buffalo / Cheektowaga, Binghamton. Just because its affordable doesnt mean you'd want to live there... Many other considerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island