Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 5,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I feel for the OP. There are so many POS neighbors out there. No, you do not own the street but it is common courtesy NOT to park in front of someone else’s house. It’s downright weird. I would never consider doing it. I would feel like an AHole if the neighbor asked why. I would have no valid answer. Neighborhoods used to be full of people who said hello and helped each other. Now it is full of a bunch of illegal apartments with trash occupants who have no pride in keeping a home presentable. As for garbage, when I first moved to Farmingdale, I put my recycle can out on a Sunday afternoon and the neighbor came out and warned me that I could get fined if I put it out before 5 pm. There are definitely rules for garbage but they are probably enforced Ed as much as they crack down on illegal apartments. When I rented an illegal apartment, the landlord told me to only park on the side of his house so that no neighbors would complain. Even he was courteous enough to not be a Jack @ss..

I would move out now while you can. Wait til the summer when all of their loser friends who don’t own homes will visit the nice house in Brentwood. You’ll be listening to blasting mariachi music til 3 am every night and don’t forget the non stop fireworks all year. Move to a town like Rockville Center that does not allow any street parking after 9 pm. Good luck.
Most likely would move back down south. I lived in FL for 10 years prior to moving to NY. Yes I know the complete opposite of what the average NYer does lol. I have my eyes set on Savannah, GA in the next few years. I will have to pay capital gains if I move now. Fireworks in the summer are pretty bad here. I remember when my wife and I were looking for a home I didn’t want to live in Brentwood, Bay Shore, and CI. But we couldn’t find a home for the life of us. We would bid $60k+ over asking and would still get outbid. Getting outbid happened to us for over a year. But a friend of the family contacted us in regards to her mothers home and we got it way and I mean WAY below market value. Was it my plan for this home to be my forever home? Hell no. It’s an investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Fire Marshal has no jurisdiction in private homes. The occupancy has already been approved for accessory apartment use. Occupancy limitations are based upon size of bedrooms and available common areas. The matter is already up for a renewal hearing. In my experience with code enforcement, this also typically requires a site inspection to verify no additional modification has been done to the home.

The OP complaints largely boil down to behavior, not code issues. It's going to be hard to prove that there is actually a case of the dwelling being over occupied vs just having people in and out a lot. Even small families can produce a lot of garbage and own 11 cars if they want. Some local codes allow for a presumption of residence based on car registration, but it's still an uphill legal battle to obtain and then use that information in any kind of court proceeding.
Illegal modifications have been done to the home. But I’m not that petty where I would call the town on them unless it affects my property. Now the house no where near up to code. There are no egress windows for the basement and the extensions that they did are something out of this world. If a fire Marshall were ever to swing buy they would question the electrical cable/pole in the house. It’s definitely a fire hazard.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:33 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS_President View Post
Illegal modifications have been done to the home. But I’m not that petty where I would call the town on them unless it affects my property. Now the house no where near up to code. There are no egress windows for the basement and the extensions that they did are something out of this world. If a fire Marshall were ever to swing buy they would question the electrical cable/pole in the house. It’s definitely a fire hazard.
Emergency escape and rescue openings (egress windows) are only required in certain instances, such as when a space is converted into habitable or recreational space, not just storage. If work was done to the home since the original variance was granted, then this should solve your issue of them receiving a renewal for the special use. Also understand that "up to code" and permitted are two separate issues. Someone can build a perfectly code-compliant addition, using a reputable architect, but still fail to follow the permit process and be in violation of local and state law. Alternatively, someone can receive a permit but hire a garbage contractor who cuts corners and doesn't do the job correctly, leading to failed inspections and lots of work and money to correct.

I also find it interewting to see the juxtaposition between not wanting to call the town for what you view as dangerous activity (non permitted and non-compliant construction) but wanting to show up at a zoning hearing to see that the Town discontinue a special use permit because the occupants annoy you.

Fire Marahal doesn't handle utility poles. That would be the utility company.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:51 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
Quote:
Most likely would move back down south. I lived in FL for 10 years prior to moving to NY. Yes I know the complete opposite of what the average NYer does lol. I have my eyes set on Savannah, GA in the next few years. I will have to pay capital gains if I move now. Fireworks in the summer are pretty bad here. I remember when my wife and I were looking for a home I didn’t want to live in Brentwood, Bay Shore, and CI. But we couldn’t find a home for the life of us. We would bid $60k+ over asking and would still get outbid. Getting outbid happened to us for over a year. But a friend of the family contacted us in regards to her mothers home and we got it way and I mean WAY below market value. Was it my plan for this home to be my forever home? Hell no. It’s an investment.
Then take your money and run. An investment is not worth this much aggravation. Wait until the summer when they start having weekly parties and invite even more of their I’ll. You’ll need to park around the corner and walk home. Either that or rent the house out. Preferably to a member of Hells Angels and he will kick the crap out of them if they look at him funny. I do t think you pay capital gains unless you have another house.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:23 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I think this guy is one of the 11 in that house.
Lol

Old 03-22-2023, 08:46 AM

718 posts, read 619,177 times
No hell's angels would bother getting involved in this guy's drama. It's not even worth the time of day to them. He could always move them will be a nuisance to his new neighbors !

Old 03-22-2023, 08:47 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Capital gains? You need to talk to a tax advisor. You might likely wouldn't if you buy another place and there are many ways to work around it anyway.

Bad neighbors like this will change your life in ways you don't realize. My sister had a crazy neighbor (as in, the entire town of Huntington knows who this guy is) and when she finally moved, she said THAT was when she realized how much stress she'd been under from him. BTW, she sold her house to a COP, and the cop lasted 5 years next to this guy and got out of dodge.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Capital gains? You need to talk to a tax advisor. You might likely wouldn't if you buy another place and there are many ways to work around it anyway.

Bad neighbors like this will change your life in ways you don't realize. My sister had a crazy neighbor (as in, the entire town of Huntington knows who this guy is) and when she finally moved, she said THAT was when she realized how much stress she'd been under from him. BTW, she sold her house to a COP, and the cop lasted 5 years next to this guy and got out of dodge.

Actually spoke to a friend of mine (financial advisor) and I don’t have to pay capital gains. There are different ways to do this when trying to purchase another home. I’m glad I have that option. Now if I sell, getting up and moving to another state is going to be tough. Having family around to assist with our girls is great. Plus interest rates are up again and I don’t want to buy another house here in LI. I’ll get raped by taxes even more.

Update on the whole situation. My friend left his truck there as he’s going away for a long weekend. Neighbors to my right asked if they could park in front of our house since they’re getting work done to their house. I actually let them park in my drive way too. They have two cars in front of my house. You see…common courtesy still exists. I’ve never had an issue with these neighbors hence the reason I offered them to park on one side of my driveway. They actually told me they had to call animal control last week because the POS neighbors to my left dog tried biting their daughter while she was playing in her own yard.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:08 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Just sell. Now is the time. Market is getting soft.
6 months down the road you might be kicking yourself so hard in your own ass that you’ll be able to taste rubber. From what you’re saying you’re basically just prolonging the inevitable.
Sell now while the market is still ok.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:52 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
No hell's angels would bother getting involved in this guy's drama. It's not even worth the time of day to them. He could always move them will be a nuisance to his new neighbors !
No, they wouldn’t get involved to help this guy. I told him to rent the house to a Hells Angel. When they are living there, they will get themselves involved. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island