Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 19,122 times

Advertisements

I am debating between two areas / houses. One of my issues is the location. One house is in the Westwood section of Lynbrook and the other is in RVC south of Sunrise with Ocean schools. Westwood seems very "pretty" but houses are smaller. Section of RVC is not as scenic / pretty house outside is not as attractive but great inside (for my taste). Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Both are very nice, I love some areas of Lynbrook, with that said RVC is a better choice IMO.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Both are nice areas. I grew up in Lynbrook and still have family that lives there. I would choose Lynbrook over Oceanside schools.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM

Well, I've heard from someone who works for the Freeport schools that Oceanside schools arevery good, perhaps on par with Lynbrook. What I'm more concerned about is, would the Westwood section with a smaller house sway you over a larger house in RVC in the area I mentioned. Taxes are lower in RVC and of course you have amenities. Price / condition of homes are pretty much on par.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI/Queens1 View Post
Well, I've heard from someone who works for the Freeport schools that Oceanside schools arevery good, perhaps on par with Lynbrook. What I'm more concerned about is, would the Westwood section with a smaller house sway you over a larger house in RVC in the area I mentioned. Taxes are lower in RVC and of course you have amenities. Price / condition of homes are pretty much on par.
Both are good schools, neighborhood, etc. One thing RVC has in its favor is that it has it's own electric utilities, so it will be less costly than LIPA.

Somehow I get the feeling that you prefer the house in Lynbrook.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Actaully the inside of the RVC house is much better than than the Lynbrook one. The outside of the RVChouse is nice, not just as regal/pretty. It has an eat in kitchen, the Lynbrook one does not which means we need to add onto the house a brekfast nook which would mean evn higher taxes. Bedrooms are much smaller in Lynbrook and taxes are about $1,200 more a year than RVC ( I belive because RVC has more business / industrial) to keep the taxes more stable.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 PM

62 posts, read 226,233 times
I'd decide like this: picture each house with whatever updates you'd like to make (which you may be able to do over time).... then which would you prefer to be in, all things considered (total cost, taxes, neighborhood, etc.)??

Nobody here can tell you what is better about either house, only the towns/neighborhoods they are in.

And fwiw, I get over the exterior "prettiness" after about a year in any home, and get much more focused on how 'functional' the house is to actually live in (ie, how well the systems work, roominess, layout, location, and yard) rather than look at. I also recently moved to RVC so I'm biased, but it's a great town to live in. But so is Lynbrook from what I've seen, so it's tough to go wrong here. Just my 2 cents - good luck!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:45 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
They do have very nice looking Tudor style homes in Westwood.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
The RVC house sounds better to me. You can only stand around and stare at the outside of the house so much. You have to LIVE in the inside of the house.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM

177 posts, read 892,940 times
My vote is for RVC. That's the area we bought a house. O'side schools are great. Went through the school system there myself and it is top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island