Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:31 AM

56 posts, read 142,085 times

Advertisements

We bought a house in New Hyde Park in 2014. Given that interest rates are scheduled to rise in 2016, does it make sense to sell now or wait until next year?

I asked a realtor to assess my home. He said it could sell for $70K - $100k over the purchase price I had paid in 2014. I need to do some cosmetic updates (siding, ceiling lights), which I am lazy to fix. Also want to enjoy my summer here, given we just moved in.

Anyhow, the realtor is charging 4% to sell my home. I want to avoid that fee and sell on my own. Anyone sell on their own in New Hyde Park. Please advise with suggestions/comments.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 11:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
A silly question but why would you buy in 2014 and sell in 2015 or 2016? You will have to eat a ton of closing costs and selling costs. Also, you believe a realtor's assessment yet want to sell it yourself? How do you know the realtor's price is realistic?

Old 06-14-2015, 11:51 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
A silly question but why would you buy in 2014 and sell in 2015 or 2016? You will have to eat a ton of closing costs and selling costs. Also, you believe a realtor's assessment yet want to sell it yourself? How do you know the realtor's price is realistic?
My thoughts exactly. I find it hard to believe that you'd see that much appreciation in value in such a short amount of time.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:09 PM

56 posts, read 142,085 times
I bought the house at $530K. It was in decent condition, but could use some updates. With some improvements, it has potential to be priced higher. I painted the upstairs hallway walls so it looks brighter. We ripped out the carpets and refinished the floors on the second floor.

The reason I want to move out is because I dont like the commute to NYC. I prefer living in Western Queens - I miss the short commute I had earlier.

The realtor said I could sell it for $600K - $630k. My neighbor, who has a similar home, although in better condition, recently listed his home for $700K+. I'm hoping that when his house sells, it will improve my chances of selling at $600K.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:14 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
You are not the type of person who should be selling their own home.

Use a realtor.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:46 PM
GPC

Painting and refinishing floors don't sound like improvements that would boost the value that much. Did you redo the kitchen or a couple of bathrooms, add a deck, etc.? Anyway, even if you did profit by $70K, did you factor in how much you'll pay in closing costs all over again for two houses, moving costs, realtor costs if you can't sell on your own, etc.

I lived in NHP and worked in Manhattan for 11 years. I found the commute very doable and not bad at all. I'm surprised you don't like it (and also surprised you didn't look into it before you bought your house).

Old 06-14-2015, 12:51 PM

537 posts, read 1,449,010 times
If you sell in less than two years of the original purchase you are paying capital tax on the gains.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:55 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny16 View Post
I bought the house at $530K. It was in decent condition, but could use some updates. With some improvements, it has potential to be priced higher. I painted the upstairs hallway walls so it looks brighter. We ripped out the carpets and refinished the floors on the second floor.

The reason I want to move out is because I dont like the commute to NYC. I prefer living in Western Queens - I miss the short commute I had earlier.

The realtor said I could sell it for $600K - $630k. My neighbor, who has a similar home, although in better condition, recently listed his home for $700K+. I'm hoping that when his house sells, it will improve my chances of selling at $600K.
As you will find out, one can list a house for what ever they want, actually selling it is a different story. Also, define "similar". Identical home, but in better condition? What about location? The same home, on the same block can command less or more than the other, depending on what is adjacent, or across the way.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:59 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
If you sell in less than two years of the original purchase you are paying capital tax on the gains.
I was just thinking about that cost too. After all expenses involved, any profit this homeowner makes is going to go south very fast.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:08 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As you will find out, one can list a house for what ever they want, actually selling it is a different story. Also, define "similar". Identical home, but in better condition? What about location? The same home, on the same block can command less or more than the other, depending on what is adjacent, or across the way.
I agree. There are definitely times that a list price is completely unrealistic. Take a look at this house for example:

26 Rhodes Drive, New Hyde Park, NY 11040 - View Property History - HotPads

It's very close to where I used to live. I was inside the house several times. It was owned by the original owners for over 50 years. They passed away about 7 years ago and it was sold in 2011 for $430K. The only improvements made were relatively minor - some new appliances in the kitchen, put in some hardwood floors (but the less expensive kind), replaced some damaged shingles, etc. It was put on the market a few months back for $800K. I laughed myself silly when I saw that and knew there was no way they'd ever get that price. Needless to say, the house is no longer on the market. Some people are just crazy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island