Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:18 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times

Advertisements

Too many people on this site make comments about other places that they never lived in. They base their comments on generalizations and prejudices. They often know nothing about what life is really like in the places they write about.

The only credible comments come from preople who actually live or have lived in the areas they are posting about.

Also, when people post things like, "my so and so says..." is merely hear say and not credible.

If you don't live or have lived in a particular area then refrain from commenting on it. How can you honestly give an opinion about something you don't know anything about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:00 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
I'm not sure that I fully agree with this one. I think that it is helpful for people to hear what kind of reputation areas have in the larger long island community. However, I do believe that people should clearly state whether or not they have firsthand experience with the neighborhood.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I don't see how that is "posting etiquette." If you have a family member, S/O, close friend who lives in a certain area, you can write what they think of the area. I don't see what's so wrong with that. I think it's credible still.

I don't see the point of this thread.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:22 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
I think there's a big difference between, say, "my sister lives in..." and "my parents live in..." (which often gives you a pretty firsthand view of the area, if you visit them a lot) or "I heard..." which can be random BS.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Well, one of my comments was based on my entire fiance's family's opinions, who have lived in the area since the 60s. I go there very often, so I notice things too.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:29 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times
I kind of agree with Tom a bit on this with having first hand experience with an area to effectively comment but I also feel if I live in Town X which borders Town Y, and I have never lived in Town Y, I think its safe to say I know enough about both towns to comment and give my objective opinion....key word being objective. Just my two cents.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:31 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Too many people on this site make comments about other places that they never lived in. They base their comments on generalizations and prejudices. They often know nothing about what life is really like in the places they write about.

The only credible comments come from preople who actually live or have lived in the areas they are posting about.

Also, when people post things like, "my so and so says..." is merely hear say and not credible.

If you don't live or have lived in a particular area then refrain from commenting on it. How can you honestly give an opinion about something you don't know anything about.

I totally agree. I don't give a second thought to people who post: my mother, brother, sister, uncle once removed didn't like a place for such and such a reason.
I am a big believer in seeing things with my own eyes.
Everyone is entitled to a opinion, but I tend to listen to opinions based on fact of the actual persons experience, not through the eyes of someone else relaying what someone else thought.

If I listened to everything people told me I would have never visited NYC because my MOM told me when i was younger that all that you would see are prostitutes, theives and garbage .

Old 08-03-2008, 03:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Well, I live in Wyandanch and I can tell you from first hand experience that it is a ghetto dump, over-run with drug dealers, prostitutes, baby mamas, gangs, and the like. People have no issue in blasting music until 4am, workday or not.... the cops can't respond to noise complaints because they're too busy working shootings, robberies, burglaries, drug deals, etc.

The schools are horrible, I won't deal with any of the businesses in the town because they're either trying to rip you off or sell you outdated/expired items, and it's just an unkempt, depressing place to be.

How's that for first-hand experience?

Old 08-03-2008, 04:05 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Well, I live in Wyandanch and I can tell you from first hand experience that it is a ghetto dump, over-run with drug dealers, prostitutes, baby mamas, gangs, and the like. People have no issue in blasting music until 4am, workday or not.... the cops can't respond to noise complaints because they're too busy working shootings, robberies, burglaries, drug deals, etc.

The schools are horrible, I won't deal with any of the businesses in the town because they're either trying to rip you off or sell you outdated/expired items, and it's just an unkempt, depressing place to be.

How's that for first-hand experience?
I'll take that as first hand experience.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:14 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,317 times
nbres reminds me of the people on message boards ---who instead of just answering your question--say "you didn't use the seacrh feature" as if fresh discussion is a sin.

This board would be pretty boring if you had to RESIDE there to comment.

Phooey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island