Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:02 PM

7 posts, read 14,648 times

Advertisements

Relocating takes a lot of thought and research. I'm from NY and I moved to South Carolina. From my experience, I made a bad financal move. The pay doesn't balance out. There are jobs here, no lie, that are only paying grown adults $7 an hour. Most jobs have no unions. This is an employment-at-will state which means to me that an employer can terminate ur employment without advance notice for almost any reason. To me that means no job security. You'll be safe with a gov't job including the post office. Private companies I wouldn't reccomend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,162,464 times
I've been down here for 20 years and never had a problem with working in a right to work state.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 AM

237 posts, read 856,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana6992 View Post
Hello all, I know i'm a bit late on responding to this posting but I do have my share of stories for everybody here. Now I moved just like a LOT of other New Yorker's because it was just so much money for me to live in NY with my fiance. I looked at Charlotte, my mother was moving down with my family and I figured i'd give it a shot, I'll have some family down here with me, I'll be able to afford it, it will be easier living for me and wow, 760/month for a one bedroom in ballantyne with a washer/dryer included! Gated community?! Oh my goodness how can I turn this down?!?! I cannot believe how wrong I really was. Now granted I have met a LOT of friendly people down here, but I have yet to make friends with one Southerner. I have however made 5 friends from NY/NJ/CT and MD. I feel that there was a lot of hostility twords all of us "yankees" in the Charlotte metro area. There's a common joke around the south...."Do you know what the difference between a yankee and a damn yankee is?.....A Damn yankee never leaves!" I've seen escalades that were bigger than 20yr old mobile homes they were parked infront of. I tried ordering a Bacon Egg and Cheese in a resturaunt and the waitress looked at me and told me they don't make that, because i'm in the souf now sugah but she'd reccomend the corndog with grits. Now i'm not poking fun at the southern way of life at all, but i'm just stating facts that i've witnessed. The crime in Charlotte seems to be a lot worse than in NY, there are a lot of gun shootings, My friend got robbed point blank down here in his office with an uzi. Someone I knew since i've been down here for a year was murdered in his shop. Also at work, I notcied that there was never any room for imporvement. If a strategy wasn't working for the company, why not try something else? It wouldn't fly, they were set on they're ways. There's bumper stickers that say "We don't care how you did it up north". I am moving back to NY, however, i'm moving to Long Island, over in West Babylon...very soon. I know it's going to be an arm and a leg, but i'm tired of seeing strip malls after strip malls, I'm tired of having to drive to get the littlest things, What ever happened to walk-to shopping? Charlotte is a very beautiful city, and while it may work for some, it may not work for others.
couldnt of saidf it better myself. These are the exact isssues we are having in charlotte

Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,022,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnxBreeze View Post
Good question, i'm wondering the same thing. I'm planning on moving to Pennsylvania next year. Although I probably will miss my hometown and where I grew up, not enough to come back. Long Island changed, and in my opinion for the worst. I'm looking forward to move and I will of course, visit frequently.

Good luck on your decision, it is a big one!

Hey.. where in PA are you moving..

We found a house to rent in Lehighton... on the cheap.. on 2 acres surrounded by a 160 acres of farm land.. 4 BR 2.5 Bth. It's an old house.. but we're going to be paying only $800 and it's beautiful there..

AFter paying $3000 a month in mortgage payments here.. can you imagine how easy my rent will be to swing!! Heck.. my taxes alone in my house on LI is almost the amount of my rental!!!!

PA is beautiful. I will miss LI , but like you not enough to come back It's changed!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,022,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Check the upstate boards about taxes in NYS. It appears that there are areas up there that are worse than LI when you compare property value to taxes.

it is why I ruled out upstate NY when deciding where to move too

Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,407,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Hey.. where in PA are you moving..

We found a house to rent in Lehighton... on the cheap.. on 2 acres surrounded by a 160 acres of farm land.. 4 BR 2.5 Bth. It's an old house.. but we're going to be paying only $800 and it's beautiful there..

AFter paying $3000 a month in mortgage payments here.. can you imagine how easy my rent will be to swing!! Heck.. my taxes alone in my house on LI is almost the amount of my rental!!!!

PA is beautiful. I will miss LI , but like you not enough to come back It's changed!

TristansMommy,

I too am considering moving to PA. How would you compare your PA summer to a LI summer? I hear it's humid, but is more, less or the same as LI? Summer is my least favorite season. I love the fall, spring and winters. I want to be able to live as a single, not just survive so I need off Long Island. I've been considering Northeast and Southeast PA areas. Once I decide, where I go will probably depend on where I get a job first!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:03 AM

431 posts, read 2,127,495 times
Smile Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
it is why I ruled out upstate NY when deciding where to move too
PA is still in the Northeast so you should be alright. Same mentality like NY. And when you get home sick all you have to do is drive a couple of hours. It's just around the corner.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,310,831 times
Default NY state is the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by employment View Post
Relocating takes a lot of thought and research. I'm from NY and I moved to South Carolina. From my experience, I made a bad financal move. The pay doesn't balance out. There are jobs here, no lie, that are only paying grown adults $7 an hour. Most jobs have no unions. This is an employment-at-will state which means to me that an employer can terminate ur employment without advance notice for almost any reason. To me that means no job security. You'll be safe with a gov't job including the post office. Private companies I wouldn't reccomend.
New York is an employment at will state.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,310,831 times
Default Missed my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
I was born in Fort Lee NJ then moved with my parents to Ocean Lea in Oceanside. Houses were in 1983 or so, like $86,000 and now there $650,000.... is that a LARGE ENOUGH CHANGE FOR YOU!/!/!!?!? What about taxes used to be a grand or 2 now there $8,500 to $15,000 for your basic house. What about your mortgage used to be $1500 a month and now its $4,000. I mean how can you live in this ****'n place!?!?! its about $5000 a month in mortgage and property taxes, food and gas is another $700 a month so your almost at like $6000, for one month stay, then you have to do that every month so it comes to around $50,000 a year just to live basic with nothing. I MEAN HOW CAN ONE AFFORD THIS UNLESS YOUR MARRIED AND ARE DOCTORS OR SOMETHING, if your not ur stuggling and if you have KIDS THEN YOUR DIEING, unless your rich. And most of us weren't book smart enough to become a doctor or lawyer, but I"m sure dam good as lanscape design and exterminating, but then again, it isn't a doctor or lawyer. Then what happens when you have kids!?!?!?!!?! THEN YOUR REALLY ****"ED ON LONG ISLAND. I make about $600 a week thats about $2400 a month, and I can't afford a new pair of sneakers let along my rent/cellphone/insane car insurance/and then what happens when I get a ticket once in a while for some bull****, cause the police around here are such money hungry rats on wheels, they don't see life like we do on the most expensive place in the world. I JUST WISH TO GOD MY PARENTS BROUGHT ME UP SOMEWHERE LIVABLE... Now that I"m outta my house and have a good job, the feeling of living in a basement has robbed my self confidence and taken all pride from oneself. I FEEL LIKE A HOmeleSS BUMB JUST WITH A COUPLE DOLLARS IN MY POCKET AND A CAVE TO CALL HOME..... WERE CAN I GO!?!?!! I ASK GOD ALL THE TIME WERE I CAN LIVE THE AMERICAN "PROMISE," WERE I CAN HAVE A sMALL BACKYARD WITH A GARDEN AND BE HAPPY.... WHY DO I HAVE TO LIVE IN SUCH FINANCIAL TOURTURE IN A LAND WERE making thousands a month is NOTHING!!!!
I had not seen this response until today...my point is for others to further detail where they live. I live in Smithtown, you live in Oceanside. These towns are 33 miles away from each other. There is a good chance neither of us will ever venture through or have anything to do with these varied towns. What you see as dirty and congested is a very different picture from my experience...my point being making blanket statements about "Long Island" is often inaccurate given the size and differences throughout a region of 100+ miles. I empathize with your frustration, but based on what looks like an aggregate salary of 33,600 per year you will be hard pressed to find anything in your affordability range within many parts of the country. That is simply not a lot of money to make in this day and age (which is I am sure very frustrating). I am NOT trying to be insulting at all, and I am by no means a Rockefeller, but 33,600 would be tough to live on in the suburbs of any major metro area, not just Long Island.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,828,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana6992 View Post
Hey, I understand where you're coming from completely. I felt the exact same way that you did when I moved from NY to Charlotte. I wanted a better way of life, I wanted to have some money in my pocket, I wanted less traffic. But the reality of it is, it's just the times we are in now. Well of course you can get a GREAT house down in the south for much less money than you can in NY, however have you seen the job market in let's just say Charlotte right now? Now granted the job market is hurting everywhere, however in NY if you want to find work, theres Manhattan, LI, Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens, Hell even westchester as well. Where I now live there's just Charlotte...That's IT for work. Now the good thing is it's cheaper to live down here, but there are job cuts left and right, wachovia just laid off 11,000 jobs, US Airways also cut 1,700 jobs, and I was one of them. Now although I found work, it was very hard. I'm not trying to scare people away from moving to the south, I understand everybodies frustration in NY, but the south is really full of strip malls, and the crime down here is unbelievable, I've lived in NY my entire life, and I myself have had a gun pointed in my face down here, i've had a friend murdered at his job, and my other friend robbed at gun point. Now i'm not saying that there's no crime in NY, but I haven't had that happen to myself or any of my family members in NY. The way of life in the south is very different, and while a lot of people love it, because they come down with the intentions of escaping the "rat race" in NY, while this may work for some, it may not work for all, I myself am facing the hardships of it. My family is moving down to Charlotte very soon actually, and i'm very happy for them, however, although I will miss them very much in NY, I feel NY is where I need to be. Granted the job market may be tough, but myself personally, I'd rather live in a 2 bedroom basement with two windows, than to deal with half of the intolerance i've dealt with down here. I'm tired of all the yankee jokes, and all of the racism i've seen.
Nothing regarding crime, strip malls or jobs is any different on LI. Jobs are harder to come by here because it is not as large as the NYC metro area. Salaries vary by field and experience. Some are the same or higher in Charlotte.

It is also not about money for some as it is about having enough money at the end of the day to save for college and retirement. Also, if you read through the [domain blocked due to spam] comments on many Newsday stories, you'll see that intolerence is just as previlent on LI as it is anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island