Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 20,130 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out a mystery...any help would be greatly appreciated....

In 1950 my Grandmother gave birth to a daughter with severe down syndrome in Troy NY-near Albany, the infant was taken soon after birth to an institution in Amityville NY and left with them. She died at approx 2 months of age and was said to have been buried in Amityville.

Due to the my Grandmothers wishes-- it was not discussed further.

I do know the childs full name and possible date of birth- but we are reasonably sure of the year-being 1950. Both my grandparents are deceased and none of the siblings really know anything much other than some details my grandfather told my mother in the late 1980s.

I have had little luck trying to figure out where she was sent and where she may be buried.......hoping a "local" may have an idea.

With a little help I think we can find her....

Thanks

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Did you try callling South Oaks Psychiatric Hospital in Amityville? They may know something... Also, back then, most of those institutions were State run, so you may think about calling Mental Health Services in Albany to see if they have any info. You may also try calling AHRC (Association for the Help of Retarded Children)

Last edited by omigawd; 09-09-2008 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM

Here's an article I found on the internet about a man who owned a facility in Amityville that housed mentally retarded children:

Benjamin M. Stein, ’35
Great Neck, N.Y.
August 21, 2005
Dr. Benjamin Stein is remembered as one of Maryland’s most loyal alumni. After graduation he served two years of internship at the Jamaica Hospital in New York. From 1941 to 1946, he was a medical officer in the European Theater of Operations, and nearing the end of World War II, he established and supervised radiology departments at U.S. hospitals in Frankfurt and Berlin. Dr. Stein entered private practice in Hempstead in 1946 and shortly afterward became director, co-chief of radiology, and joint owner of the Brunswick Home, Inc., in Amityville. In 1957, he became the sole owner of the home, which operated the Brunswick General Hospital, the Brunswick Nursing Home-Geriatric Unit and a unit for mentally retarded children. He purchased the Louden-Knickerbocker Hall a year later, incorporating the institution into the Brunswick Home and Hospital. The complex was renamed The Brunswick Hospital Center in 1960. Dr. Stein was the first president and chairman of the board of the Federation of American Hospitals and was vice president of the Accredited Private Hospital Association of Nassau-Suffolk. In the mid 1960s, he initiated a continuing education program at the Brunswick Hospital Center, conducted by Maryland’s continuing education committee. Maryland faculty members often flew to and from the meeting in Dr. Stein’s private plane. He was a member of the advisory board to the president of the University of Maryland and served as 108th president of the Medical Alumni Association in 1982. Dr. Stein and wife Claire were among the founding members of the John Beale Davidge Alliance in 1978. He is survived by Claire and son Douglas, ’77.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 PM

You might also consider contacting the Dominican Sisters of Amityville..... They are nuns who have done a lot of work with children in the past. There is also the American Association of Retarded Children.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Did you try callling South Oaks Psychiatric Hospital in Amityville? They may know something... Also, back then, most of those institutions were State run, so you may think about calling Mental Health Services in Albany to see if they have any info. You may also try calling AHRC (Association for the Help of Retarded Children)
Isn't South Oaks gone? Whatever property they had north and south of Sunrise is now a massive sea of condos. I heard Brunswick Hospital has closed down too.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
no, South Oaks is still there. It is right across the street. What was where the new condos are were probably the homes that the doctors and clinical staff lived in back in the forties & fifties (sort of like Spellbound with Gregory Peck). There is a tunnel that goes underneath Sunrise. It was there only a few years ago, but may be blocked now with the new homes there.

I imagine it was once a beautiful hospital. And, it still is pretty with tall trees and winding pathways . Brunswick's a nursing home now.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 PM

I wish I had the time to research this for RockerMom... .it's such an interesting thing to delve back into history like this.

I hope she'll be able to find her aunt.

I'm also wondering if she's buried in one of those tiny graveyards you see scattered about in Amityville?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:31 PM

That's very nice of you and I agree. It would be wonderful if she would find the cemetery where her baby aunt is buried.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-10-2008, 04:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Is it possible to check with the town records as far as deaths go? I would try calling The Amityville Registrar and explain the situation (631)264-6000. Someone there may know which facility handled such cases. There might be special records kept for deaths at such a facility.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:27 PM

You all are wonderful to give so much help and I really would like to know the ending to this mystery, wouldn't you? I have a sad image of that poor little baby in my mind , I guess. If she had been born today, she probably would have gone home with her parents and been much loved.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island