Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 AM

12 posts, read 39,969 times

Advertisements

builder who can help to find lots or tear downs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM

20,169 posts, read 20,953,859 times
Yikes. Nassau? You realize you will be taxed through the roof on new construction.
Good luck finding a lot.
Best bet is buying a lump and renovating it.
Good luck finding an honest contractor too.
Homework homework homework.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,188,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponysmom View Post
builder who can help to find lots or tear downs?
IMHO you're better off using a Buyer Agent to find a lot or teardown and then go looking for a good contractor. Or maybe have that agent help you look for a builder with excess unsold inventory...

Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,521,435 times
There isn't anything already built that would suit your purposes?? There aren't really a ton of empty lots in Nassau that aren't commercial/industrial properties. Your taxes will be insane. Your neighbor's taxes will also be affected because of the way assessments are done.

This kind of question scares me because "tear downs" are almost always older homes on larger properties.....and because I can remember what Flushing looked like ten years ago.....and because I haven't seen a new construction home that didn't make me want to vomit all over the place in a very long time.

My advice: don't do it at all.....but if you must, you'd probably be better off out in Suffolk, or better yet in a state other than New York. I hear North Carolina has many cheap plots of land ripe for the picking.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:47 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,352,819 times
I think those that are saying to just buy existing haven't actually looked recently. Yes the market is flooded with homes. most are small, overpriced crap.

its funny when the "value" play is to build a new home for 600K
but the alternative the slightly smaller house that hasn't been updated in 30 years for $525 if you're lucky.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:50 AM

after looking it disgusts me.
1) the terrible standards that some people live in.
2) horrid construction that some people find acceptable.
3) terrible layouts sold to customers by contractors or homeowners decided met their needs...

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 AM

659 posts, read 2,520,240 times
I think that building a home would cost you a lot more money than finding something already built. How about finding a handyman special and gut/expand it to make it fit your needs. New constructions are taxed so high and it could cost a fortune in permits and construction costs, since it will be from scratch. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:05 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,521,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
3) terrible layouts sold to customers by contractors or homeowners decided met their needs...
Gee that's funny, those are the same criticisms I have of most brand new homes I see!

I looked 5 minutes ago. Overpriced? Compared to what? Prices last year? Prices 3 years ago? Prices 10 years ago? Prices in Possum Gristle, TN or whatever the "in" relocation hot spot of the moment is?

The market is what it is in NY. If you think it's overpriced, don't buy. If enough people agree, prices will come down.....if not, then I guess it wasn't overpriced.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM

I've been pretty much living the market for the past few months. I want a larger colonial. there seem like only a few that have been on the market in my town in the past 2 months, they want a fortune for them, and they just sit there for months on end.

I look at cost to buy, plus cost to fix, compared to new construction or comps in the area that are in good shape. All seem to be priced at the same price as the comps or new construction, but need 80K-100K worth of work.

Considering I'm on both sides of the market, seller and buyer, I at least feel I have a balanced opinion as to the price of houses. I've been on the market 3 weeks and have 3 offers already. Priced right stuff is going. Its just what I'm trying to trade up to people think is worth gold....

I would say there seems to be more crap on the remodeling side than the new construction I've seen.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:16 PM

4,700 posts, read 8,774,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I never thought I had anything resembling a high standard of living until I started house hunting. There are some odd characters living among us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: