Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,808,494 times

Advertisements

Is it jsut me or are housing prices inching up.

Two houses ; one in Medford where I live. A few months back, one house sold for $365,000. Then in December a similiar house sold for $400,000. The only difference was that the higher priced house had a pool ; no other difference at all.

Then today I see that a house in Patchogue sold last week for $305,000. I have a smiliar house ; same size, same lot etc. A year ago it would have sold for about $250,000.

Any opinions. Is this a good sign??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM

20,064 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Listing prices are up by me too. It may be temporary though, everything is too unstable right now. I noticed them creeping back up over the past year.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,463,010 times
Spring (which is round the corner) is the historical time that people buy houses, so there might be more activity. I'm with Hotkarl. I think things are too unstable now. A good few economists are predicting a W recovery which basically means we are in the high V part right now, waiting for the second dip. They could be wrong too. I think a lot will depend on the banks and their willingness to give loans. That seems to be the real problem now - that and tougher requirements to get a loan.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
I think prices are still the same as they have been. Seems like the same old song...the houses that are overpriced have been on the market for 12-24 months. Seems like I look at the same house month in and month out.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM

I walked out on the closing for my re-fi the other day. Told them at least a hundred times "no cash out of pocket" "no closing day surprises". That was the deal.
Well, turned out there was some sort of screw up somewhere and they expected me to pay a few thousand out of pocket. I had a gut feeling, and actually was expecting something like this to happen. Me being the wise ass that I am pulled out my wallet and offered them $23. They weren't happy, and kept trying to push me to go through and I flat out told them to figure out a way to make this disappear and I'll see you next week. And I'll be bringing the same $23 in my wallet, so make sure you get the numbers right this time. Anything goes wrong this time and the deal is through.

Anyway, before this happened, we did the customary friendly chit-chat and they told me they were slow, almost dead, due to all the tightening up on loans and mortgages, primarily home purchases. The re-fi's are popular right now.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
I think you have a lot of buying going on now due to government stimulation of the market. Let's see how long these prices keep up when the tax credit goes away and interest rates start creeping up. We're sustaining the remnants of the bubble with government stimulus right now now.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:58 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,764,368 times
As it has been for a while, most of the activity is taking place at the lower end of the market. There is still a bottleneck in the "move up home" category. It appears to me that the people who are selling the "starter homes" are not moving up into the next category.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:01 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,547,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I walked out on the closing for my re-fi the other day. Told them at least a hundred times "no cash out of pocket" "no closing day surprises". That was the deal.
Well, turned out there was some sort of screw up somewhere and they expected me to pay a few thousand out of pocket. I had a gut feeling, and actually was expecting something like this to happen. Me being the wise ass that I am pulled out my wallet and offered them $23. They weren't happy, and kept trying to push me to go through and I flat out told them to figure out a way to make this disappear and I'll see you next week. And I'll be bringing the same $23 in my wallet, so make sure you get the numbers right this time. Anything goes wrong this time and the deal is through.

Anyway, before this happened, we did the customary friendly chit-chat and they told me they were slow, almost dead, due to all the tightening up on loans and mortgages, primarily home purchases. The re-fi's are popular right now.
Good for you....what bank?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Good for you....what bank?
Chase.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Chase has been hounding me non stop about Re-Fi. I went in once already and it was not beneficial for me to Re-Fi. But yet they still call and send out things in the mail. They get kinda annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island