Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 AM

11 posts, read 29,623 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on buying my first house and I have no Idea where to start, of couse I,m looking houses on the mlsli but haven't get farther than that.
what are the steps, can anyone tell me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Have you gotten pre-approved for a mortgage?

Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 AM

11 posts, read 29,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Have you gotten pre-approved for a mortgage?
no
not yet, not sure where to go, planning to do it with our bank

Old 04-18-2009, 11:59 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alilisi View Post
I'm planning on buying my first house and I have no Idea where to start, of couse I,m looking houses on the mlsli but haven't get farther than that.
what are the steps, can anyone tell me?
Ok. ( I am not a broker-this is prior experience)
1. get a pre-approval from a lender. could be anyone from coldwell-banker to lets say USAA or anyone in between. See what their rates are. Speak to them over the phone or meet with them. They will ask you questions such as your income obviously, your debt, and check your credit.They will see what loan may be best for you. 15 yr, 30 yr, FHA,VHA,Conventional etc.Downpayment and such. FHA IS CURRENTLY 3.5%. They will either say yes or no and tell you high high you can go. A good broker may ask how much your willing to pay for a house then approve you on a certain limit.

Lets say your limit is and was approved for 400,000 but you find a 350,000 home you like and want to bid 345,000. A good broker may also tell you that he will re-work your pre-approval to something between 345,000 to 355,000 to reflect to the seller that that is all you have to work with before you bid.

Anyway that is step one

2. Go out there and start looking for homes. Now that you are armed with a pre-approval your a powerful buyer. Take your time, don't get too emotional, and have fun. If you have time play with some short sales. The market is still in a tailspin so be wary of sellers still looking for bubble bucks.

3. Once you find a home and make a bid contact your broker and give him the details. Then you start the loan registration process. You will get the actual packet. Gather your w-2's, paystubs, etc. The packet will have a step by step process and checklists. Request a sit down with your broker and sign all the paperwork.

All in all step 1 will get you rolling.

Let us know how it goes!
Good luck to you. If you have anymore questions feel free.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Besides all of the info from the other posters, I'd recommend pinpointing towns/areas and getting in your car and driving around specific neighborhoods in those towns. This way you'll know what appeals to you and what doesn't. You can do this on your own before you bring in a realtor. This alone will probably take you a few weeks to accomplish.

And you never know, you may stumble upon a house you really like, or an empty house that's a fixer, etc. Sometimes realtors go looking for listings just this way - they see a neglected piece of property, track down the owner (tax bills are public domain and ought to be on line, if not go to the town hall), etc.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
All very good advice. Definately your first step is to meet with a mortgage professional. There is no use looking at houses until you know what you can afford (and are comfortable with payments on).

Next, determine what neighborhood or neighborhoods you want to concentrate on. Drive around and check them out at different times of the day and night. If schools are important to you investigate that as well.

You might want to attend a few open houses just to get a feeling for what's out there.

Finally, after this, find yourself a good Buyer's Broker to assist you with tracking down exactly what you are looking for and to help you negotiate the best price.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
exactly. And you will need an attorney to write up the contract.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:56 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
exactly. And you will need an attorney to write up the contract.
Yes the OP/buyer will need an attorney but their attorney does not write up the contract; the seller's attorney does that. The buyer's attorney receives the contract from the seller's attorney, reviews it, and then requests whatever changes he/she would like to see made to it. Of course the seller/seller's attorney is not obligated to make any changes; that's when all the legal haggling comes into play.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 AM

138 posts, read 270,685 times
i looked around first at open houses and then with an agent before getting preapproved. I am happy I did this as I really was not finding anything that was worth the asking price. I wanted to avoid the preapproval until I found something I really liked and was ready to place a bid on first, as from what I understand frequent checks into your credit actually lowers your credit scores. (I can be wrong so double check this first)

Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

alilisi, whether or not you currently have children, the school district is the most important criteria affecting home values, and school districts do not necessarily conform to community (city, village or hamlet) borders (i.e., there are many villages and hamlets that are split into two or more school districts).

In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island