Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:43 AM

108 posts, read 357,760 times

Advertisements

it'll be the 2nd time we see the house, and we're sure we want it.

can we present a verbal offer right then & there to the realtor with the owner there? or is that bad business?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:19 AM

654 posts, read 2,119,738 times
I think the owner and the agent would be a little taken back. An offer really isn't an offer unless it is in writing. They are not going to negotiate right there on the spot.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 AM

yeah, now that i think about it, it would make for an awkward situation.

although i do hear that many people, esp. in LI, have bought their homes starting with verbal offers & negotiations.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:30 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette-T View Post
yeah, now that i think about it, it would make for an awkward situation.

although i do hear that many people, esp. in LI, have bought their homes starting with verbal offers & negotiations.
Verbal offers are not the problem. Unless you want to get a kick out of watching the sellers expression when you put your offer ahead, I would suggest call the agent 5 mins after you leave the house to make the offer. Nothing would have changed in the past 5 minutes believe me. The realtor might then have you come to their office or something and get the offer in writing.

Coming to think of it, it should be fun.... to offer 300k for a 400k house in front of the owner and see how they react.... be prepared to run.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Verbal offers are not the problem. Unless you want to get a kick out of watching the sellers expression when you put your offer ahead, I would suggest call the agent 5 mins after you leave the house to make the offer. Nothing would have changed in the past 5 minutes believe me. The realtor might then have you come to their office or something and get the offer in writing.

Coming to think of it, it should be fun.... to offer 300k for a 400k house in front of the owner and see how they react.... be prepared to run.
funnier, when you put it that way. but yeah, i was just so turned off by the seller's agent telling us over the phone that our range of offer was too low and we should make a higher offer. but the more i read, she might be scammin', who knows. house has been on the market for two years. seller's agent said it was due to medical problems the seller's had. either way, we're not offering more than we can afford. we go see the house again this afternoon, so we shall see.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette-T View Post
we're not offering more than we can afford.
Stick to this.... forever !!! and you will be in good shape.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
While you cannot make an offer, you can certainly make a bid!

In any transaction, be it a house or 100 shares of XYZ Corp. or 5,000 bushels of corn or 1,000 42-gallon barrels of crude oil, a seller makes an offer to sell, while a buyer makes a bid to buy.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:46 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
I see no reason not to state your offer in front of the seller. You may pick up some valuable information without it being filtered through the agent.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 AM

31 posts, read 138,943 times
I believe if you have an opportunity to be seen by the seller and or make an offer it strengthens your offer. You are no longer just an offer but now a person, a face with a story, potentially a family etc. An example is nothing makes an older seller more happier then seeing a young family buy their home and raise their family in it. They will remember the "hard" times they had years ago etc. Not saying you will get a deal but face to face contact makes it harder to say no to other issues etc and in my experience makes the little things easier to work through.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 AM

270 posts, read 969,409 times
I would say to both the seller and their agent something along the lines of "I'm confident that I will present an offer to you very shortly - can I bring the offer letter to your office later today?"

That way you've made your interest known to the seller directly, and you're not putting them in an awkward position to have to respond to you immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island