Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:29 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,073 times

Advertisements

I agree that NY Republicans act like Democrats. When they take office, they become slaves to union interests in the very same way Democrats do.

The difference is that there is a tiny sliver of hope they'll see the light and cut the fat out of these budgets. With Democrats, I hold out no hope.

In the 90's, with Bubba Clinton, I had hope that Dems could achieve fiscal responsibility (even if it was the Republican Congress forcing it). Today's Democratic party, which has been hijacked by extreme liberals from the old Chicago political machine...give me no hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I agree that NY Republicans act like Democrats. When they take office, they become slaves to union interests in the very same way Democrats do.

The difference is that there is a tiny sliver of hope they'll see the light and cut the fat out of these budgets. With Democrats, I hold out no hope.

In the 90's, with Bubba Clinton, I had hope that Dems could achieve fiscal responsibility (even if it was the Republican Congress forcing it). Today's Democratic party, which has been hijacked by extreme liberals from the old Chicago political machine...give me no hope.
Long Island Republicans have just as sordid a history of screwing over taxpayers and overspending as the Democrats. Steve Levy is the closest thing to a tight-walleted politician I have ever seen in LI, Democrat or Republican. But that is a relative compliment. There is zero difference, just different marketing slogans at election time. Mangano was able to take the "anti-taxes stance" this year because a Democrat could not in the current climate. Obama took the "economy is worse" mantle last year because the Republican white house and opposing ticket could not. Different marketing slogans, same end results, no matter the political party.Peter Schmitt gave his staff raises one day after he won majority rule...I don't care if his team's jobs were about to increase, it is laughable that it only took 24 hours for him to contradict the "no more spending" marketing slogan the Republicans used to win this year (so much for a tiny sliver of hope). Shouldn't the message given all of the Republican push been we all need to do more with less to ease this tax burden? There is probably a good chance a switch to Democratic rule would have brought about the same foolish decision.

I grew up in CT. In a very nice county. Very good schools. There was ZERO county government for the most part, and state troopers worked the State roads. All very simple and straightforward. Long Island has a highly expensive, extra layer of paid government at the county level that simply needs to be dissolved. It is unlike any other part of the country, which is why our taxes are unlike any other part of the country. With all of the Villages, special districts and Townships we have managing things, NOTHING would be missed once the troopers stepped in on the roads (like the rest of the state). The schools will be a tough thing to consolidate, but this county government eradication could be done tomorrow, and little would suffer while at least some portion of our taxes would noticeably drop. The last awesome benefit, we convert all unused county buildings to young professional and affordable housing.

Next year I might just run on the "County Buildings for Young Professional Housing" platform...I could win...

Old 11-12-2009, 01:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
^^^

According to your post, I am assuming that CT has reasonable property taxes, which I assume to be far less than ours.

The county government eradication is not going to do much for us as 65-70% of our property tax burden is for schools. All the special districts, extra layers of county government, even the high paid police forces, are nothing compared to that. Consolidation of the schools would cut out all those useless and spectacularly paid school district bureaucrats, that's for sure. But would anyone actually let you get away with it on LI or elect you on a platform based on that? (I think I would if it were planned properly, but that's just me and I hate high taxes A LOT plus I don't live in one of the very top school districts.)

Old 11-12-2009, 01:38 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^

According to your post, I am assuming that CT has reasonable property taxes, which I assume to be far less than ours.

The county government eradication is not going to do much for us as 65-70% of our property tax burden is for schools. All the special districts, extra layers of county government, even the high paid police forces, are nothing compared to that. Consolidation of the schools would cut out all those useless and spectacularly paid school district bureaucrats, that's for sure. But would anyone actually let you get away with it on LI or elect you on a platform based on that? (I think I would if it were planned properly, but that's just me and I hate high taxes A LOT plus I don't live in one of the very top school districts.)
You need to start with what could be actually impacted. People are too hung up on %'s. Yes, there is no denying that school taxes are a large percentage and dollar figure, but the elimination of a needless paid county government is more likely near term (not to ignore school reform). If county government is "only" 1/6 of a tax bill, but that bill is outrageous, it still needs to be addressed. I'd take the 1000+ dollars back. Because long islanders have always been used to this extra layer I feel they sometimes forget that in most every part of the country it does not exist...especially at this amount of paid positions. The state handles most of these programs and could do the same in LI. Schools raise a whole host of emotional and protectionist agendas. Getting rid of a completely redundant layer of paid government is something everyone (aside from the county employees union) can get behind.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Jrprof,

I agree 100%. I grew in Western PA, and we had a fantastic high school and the State troopers did their job. Our taxes were about 1/4 of what they are here in LI.

The "sliver of hope" I had comes from the fact that in general the Republicans are slightly better at streamlining govt and breaking up union monopolies. Whether it has been NC, SC, NH, Texas, Utah, or Indiana, they've done a decent job of that.

Unfortunately, their LI counterparts have been ripe with corruption. They generally make me sick.

Let's hope Mangano does indeed live up to his promises and cut some of the fat. He deserves the benefit of the doubt for now. If I see him fall into that patronage trap, then I'll be the first in line to campaign against him next time around.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:08 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Jrprof,

I agree 100%. I grew in Western PA, and we had a fantastic high school and the State troopers did their job. Our taxes were about 1/4 of what they are here in LI.

The "sliver of hope" I had comes from the fact that in general the Republicans are slightly better at streamlining govt and breaking up union monopolies. Whether it has been NC, SC, NH, Texas, Utah, or Indiana, they've done a decent job of that.

Unfortunately, their LI counterparts have been ripe with corruption. They generally make me sick.

Let's hope Mangano does indeed live up to his promises and cut some of the fat. He deserves the benefit of the doubt for now. If I see him fall into that patronage trap, then I'll be the first in line to campaign against him next time around.
The thing is, as he was asked during the campaign and could never give a clear answer to, what exactly is he going to cut?? 2/3 of the county portion of the property tax bill goes to the police. Not exactly much anyone from either side of the political aisle can do when that is the case.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The thing is, as he was asked during the campaign and could never give a clear answer to, what exactly is he going to cut?? 2/3 of the county portion of the property tax bill goes to the police. Not exactly much anyone from either side of the political aisle can do when that is the case.
..and considering the fact that the PBA endorsed him, any change he'll be looking to cut costs there? Don't bet on it.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:44 PM

You guys make it sound like there is nothing for Mangano to cut. We are up to our eyeballs in waste in this county. Plenty for him to do. And, if he doesn't do it, I'll be the first to crucify him.

Let's wait and see...maybe he'll surprise us.

One thing is for sure...after helping to ruin Glen Cove and Nassau County, it will be good to Suozzi out of Mineola.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
... it will be good to Suozzi out of Mineola.
Suozzi was never in Mineola; the County Executive Building is in Garden City ("Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...tate-scam.html explains why the Nassau County county seat was supposed to be in Mineola but ended up in Garden City.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Long Island has a highly expensive, extra layer of paid government at the county level that simply needs to be dissolved. It is unlike any other part of the country, which is why our taxes are unlike any other part of the country. With all of the Villages, special districts and Townships we have managing things, NOTHING would be missed once the troopers stepped in on the roads (like the rest of the state).
I agree in theory, but in practice it doesn't really seem like parts of LI with extra layers of government at the village or special district level pay higher taxes than areas without those forms of government. In fact, it all seems to even out....

Here's the taxes for a typical Nassau County house broken down into each item. Two story cape built in 1946 on a 60x100 lot in North Bellmore, no locational influence, "average" condition, no tax rebates/exemptions/etc. I picked it completely at random.

Assessed at $482,200 for '09-'10

Nassau County Taxes:
-County Environmental Bond---------------------$8.26
-County General Fund-------------------------$269.00
-County Police Headquarters-------------------$471.29
-Fire Prevention--------------------------------$25.45
-Nassau Community College---------------------$84.25
-County Police--------------------------------$604.15
-Sewage Collection District #3------------------$63.44
-Sewage Disposal District #3-------------------$148.86
-Total Nassau County Taxes--------------$1,674.70

Town of Hempstead Taxes:
-Town General Fund----------------------------$60.45
-Bldg. Dept./Zoning & Appeals-------------------$57.26
-Town Highway Dept.--------------------------$338.19
-Town Lighting District--------------------------$44.01
-Refuse & Garbage District---------------------$325.75
-Town Parks District---------------------------$200.51
-Town Refuse Disposal District-----------------$250.44
-Total Town of Hempstead Taxes---------$1,276.61

Special District Taxes:
-North Bellmore Fire District--------------------$384.52
-Total Special District Taxes-----------------$384.52

North Bellmore SD Taxes:
-Net School Taxes---------------------------$6,939.98
-Net Library Taxes-----------------------------$300.00
-Total North Bellmore SD Taxes-----------$7,239.98

Total Property Taxes---------------------$10,575.81

So remember, if the county government disappears COMPLETELY we now only save ~$1,700 at best....but we have no cops and no toilets. The only part of this tax bill that actually goes towards administration at the county level is the "County General Fund" which is $269.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island