Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
No offense Bob... but God were fat.

What are we talking 5 Steps.

I think Hi Ranches were more popular before we gave up on ourselves completely.

Crooks
None taken. I was more or less pointing out that there are more steps. 5, 6 or more. Doesn't sound like much, but if you're hauling in heavy furniture, or anything heavy and bulky, it makes it more difficult.

My other thing with them is as you get older, you're going to find you can't negotiate steps that good anymore. That is something to consider as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:04 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:

Crooks
I was thinking the exact same thing but didn't want to be the first one to say it.

10 steps total? Get on an exercise program, folks. I grew up in a house where I had to climb up and down stairs to take a shower.

I can understand if you're 90, but come on.

Anyways, I don't like the high ranch layout at all. As someone else said, the whole bottom floor always seems so dark and such a waste..it's basically and above ground basement.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 AM

231 posts, read 960,793 times
I don't the deck being so high off the ground - usually on the top level off the kitchen.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:12 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:

Crooks
I know.... bobs post should have come with a disclaimer saying "dramatized opinion".... but you know.... I can relate to his post.... and its got nothing to do with fat.... 10 steps are greater than zero steps, and when you are carrying a heavy load, it matters to everyone. So if all houses are hi-ranches, then there is no choice.... but if you have a choice, why not express it !!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:14 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Not only for carrying groceries, but when you're expected to carry the big heavy stuff into the home and you're not allowed to put it on the ground to get your keys out to open the door, so you have to hold the dang heavy thing or things while you nearly break your back fumbling for your keys while bending backward so nothing falls and then finally you get them out open the door, you have to wipe your feet, slip off your shoes while still holding everything. This is because you can't track dirt in the house and who knows where the stuff you're holding has been.

Now that you've managed to successfully get your shoes off, you have to close the door, while still holding everything, because the cat, who is sleeping on the couch and barely has noticed you walking in, will run out the door in a second (this is not the truth, the cat doesn't even like to go out).

At this point, your back is hurting, your arms are hurting and you want to drop everything. Then in comes the spouse from another room saying "oh I didn't hear you come in".

Now this is just going into a place where there is only one step to get into the place. Just tack on the image of me carrying all that junk up or down the stairs that I can't even see. Oh yes and I'm supposed to watch out for the cat too.
sounds like the problem isn't housing design, but mrs. bob...

Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I know.... bobs post should have come with a disclaimer saying "dramatized opinion".... but you know.... I can relate to his post.... and its got nothing to do with fat.... 10 steps are greater than zero steps, and when you are carrying a heavy load, it matters to everyone. So if all houses are hi-ranches, then there is no choice.... but if you have a choice, why not express it !!
Fixed it.

And nope, I'm not offended by any replies.

Yes I see what you're all saying. And no I'm not fat, but it always falls on me to carry everything in that is VERY HEAVY. And being that I do get back pain every now and then, yes that would be a bit harder for me to handle then to just walk in and plop it down.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
Well, we won't go there, but I'm working on mrs. bob.

However I do see my mother having more difficulty as the years go by in negotiating her steps. So I'm not ruling it out entirely, but I'm giving thought of now and in the future.

Honestly, the preference is that if I get a 2 story house, I'd rather get an actual one than a hi-rance that has a room that either is or can be converted to a bedroom once we get older and can't run up and down like we used to.

That being said, right now I'm looking at places we can afford and seeing if it has what we want. We might have to forego some options if we want to get a house.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:25 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
I grew up in a low ranch, but am not a fan of a high ranch either only b/c I feel the bedrooms are so close together. I never had any privacy growing up. Other types of houses allow for more spread out, and possibly bigger rooms.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I grew up in a low ranch, but am not a fan of a high ranch either only b/c I feel the bedrooms are so close together. I never had any privacy growing up. Other types of houses allow for more spread out, and possibly bigger rooms.
I agree. Some hi-ranches we looked at had small bedrooms. I'd like to be able to put more than just a bed in there.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Well, we won't go there, but I'm working on mrs. bob.

You think that project has a end ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island