Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 46,482 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm buying a home in new hyde park (outside of village) at town of north hempstead. The property has uncovered porch for front & side entrance,
and also a uncovered patio. I was wondering if a permit is required to add a porch/patio cover/roof to the property? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyftw View Post
Hi, I'm buying a home in new hyde park (outside of village) at town of north hempstead.
Regardless of that house's mailing address, only those places that are in the Village of New Hyde Park are actually in New Hyde Park.

New Hyde Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places that have the community name in their mailing address (3,339 acres) are not in the community (531 acres):

Places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are not in the Village of New Hyde Park are in the Village of Lake Success, the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Herricks, the Hamlet of Garden City Park and the Village of Garden City.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
I would call the town and ask, or stop down in person.

I think it is required if its a permenant install.

Should you get one? that is up to you, and also somewhat up to how extensive you're doing this cover.

if you're just adding a portico just covering the entryway. I could see skipping it, but you're probably supposed to get one. If you're doing a full covered porch on your house......

Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Not only do you probably need a permit you might even need a variance. My neighbor needed one for something similar. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
A portico was one of the things I had to legalize when I sold my house last year. I lived in the Town of North Hempstead also. So yes a permit is required. Also, my architect had to research neighboring properties regarding setbacks to make sure mine was in line with theirs. Thankfully it was or else a variance would've been required.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Hi GPC, do you know how long is the permit application process? Also after getting a permit and finish adding the portico, I was wondering how are the inspection done? Do they just check the exterior of the house? or they actually go into your home and make sure everything is up to code? Thanks

Last edited by lilyftw; 06-20-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 PM
GPC

Quote:
Hi GPC, do you know how long is the permit application process? Also after getting a permit and finish adding the portico, I was wondering how are the inspection done? Do they just check the exterior of the house? or they actually go into your home and make sure everything is up to code? Thanks
I had to legalize other items as well so it was a looooong process. It sounds like you're only legalizing outdoor items so I'd think the inspector wouldn't have to enter your house. However, knowing how the Town of North Hempstead operates, I wouldn't be surprised if they want to look inside 'just in case' - AKA they'd love the opportunity to sniff out other things to bust your chops about. I only have firsthand experience with the Town of North Hempstead so I can't compare them to other towns but I can tell you they are difficult and take their sweet time. If you're buying the house, why aren't you making the current owners get whatever COs are necessary?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:35 PM

I am currently working with the owner to legalize all the modification he did inside the house, I just want to know how long usually the application take. Thanks for the information GPC.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:03 PM
GPC

Quote:
I am currently working with the owner to legalize all the modification he did inside the house, I just want to know how long usually the application take. Thanks for the information GPC.
In that case make sure the inspector sees EVERYTHING, inside and out. If you don't and something gets overlooked it may seem like it'll simplify things now but trust me, down the road you'll get stuck with a giant headache. Luckily in my case it was a cash deal so the snail pace that the Town of North Hempstead operates on didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. We started the process in February 2010, closed in June 2010, and just got the COs two months ago - April 2011! However, we had an incompetent architect who constantly gave us wrong information and when we were finally ready for our inspection it seems the only inspector available had just gone on vacation for a month. So there were various snags we hit along the way that most people wouldn't encounter. I hope your process goes quicker. Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM

155 posts, read 457,917 times
Quote:
This can take months. The town of north Hempstead is propably the worst when it comes to permits especially when you back track to get a CO for prior work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island