Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 AM

231 posts, read 960,383 times

Advertisements

What are considered the nicest communities on the south shore of Western Suffolk (No Farther East than Sayville). I am talking all factors - schools, community. etc..

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
My favorite ones are...Babylon, Sayville, Islip, East Islip. But if I had no $ limit I would pick Great River!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM

187 posts, read 863,155 times
Oakdale is very nice, especially what's called the Idle Hour section (around dowling college).

Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
I'd go with The Moorings in East Islip, followed by Idle Hour in Oakdale. I am fond of Babylon Village and Sayville, too.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:45 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
I lived in Oakdale north of Montauk Hwy for ten years. I really liked living there. The schools are good. I'm a big fan of East Islip too. Sayville is another great choice.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 AM

231 posts, read 960,383 times
Connetquot / 7 is that a good school district?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Connetquot is a fine school district that serves Oakdale, Bohemia & parts of Ronkonkoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax View Post
Connetquot / 7 is that a good school district?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,069 times
South Sayville Soundoff ? ( A Southshore,NY , Seaside Town)

Posted 08-09-2009 at 04:53 PM by LILWAVSURFER
saville south
A concern for some.....Flood insurance do you need it? Depends on where you live . I'm very closeto the bay and it is not considered a flood zone. If you have kids and they are good athletes, students, musicians, wear Abercrombie etc. they will fare far better in Sayville schools than if you just have Joe average "non ass kissing" kids like mine. (Well, my kids are cool, individual thinkers that don't "follow what everybody else is doing" , kinda like their parents). If you have special needs kids DO NOT MOVE TO SAYVILLE. (I'm a Special Educator of over 20 years and know) . Staff and Administration cater to all the "golden children". They have little clue on how to deal with adversity, diversity and possess little diplomacy. ( Many of them sort of have "tudes" too.....with all those vacations they should be cool and down to earth not so "affected" , I mean really ... a teacher's salary is decent ....but....... you ain't no big business people !!)A lot of the students also treat the non jocks poorly. Not alot of diversity here , been here over 10 years and it still hasn't changed. So, your kids will go into culture shock in the real world should they ever leave Sayville/ Bayport/Oakdale.
South Sayville used to be much more of a "middle of the road " type area years ago. Hopefully, you don't have to keep up with the Jones' (you know...the wife usually plays tennis , doesn't work, has a housekeeper, the husband plays golf, have a boat , landscaper,) Still scratching my head as far as how the retired firemen and teachers who are the only breadwinners in the house can afford it all..........hmmmmmmm.
Oh and you'll also have that vacation home of course. As a parent you are probably going to be very busy running your kids to at least 3 sports activities, dance, music, etc. (because everyone will talk about how many activities their kids are involved in and how good they are at everything and you'll have to make sure you are right there with them).
If you're kids just aren't cutting the mustard by the time they are 1/2 way through the middle school, you'll cry, wanna call the nasty kids' parents to get some help, support, backup,or at least empathy but you can't and won't. I've learned that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so the parents won't care that their kids are hurtful and mean to others. Half of these parents are still "stuck in high school mentality mode". Trying to be popular, part of the "in crowd" , And yes, your kid will be exposed to a lot of sex,(unfortunately no good rock n roll) drinking and a fair amount of drugs (don't listen to those people who say "not in our town" .....their "Jock itch kids are usually the biggest offenders and suppliers....know it first hand) The parents tell their kids not to drink and drive yet , they do it all the time, I think the cops here should be more worried about the parents!!! Those kids are getting their "scripts" from somewhere.
Hence...You ride it out. Some people will pull their kids out og the SHS and send them to A nice Catholic HS, and ask "is this why we pay over $15G in taxes???") I'm sure this stuff happens everywhere, but if you don't have money to burn , you can be exposed to it elsewhere at a more "discounted" price. Crime happens here too. It usually ends up being some kid from the high school that everyone knows , contrary to what the Sayvillites may state.

If you've moved here from somewhere else be prepared to meet mostly people that grew up here or married someone from here (or Bayport, Oakdale, EI Blue Point) They already have a plethora of friends so it may be tough to break into the " inner circle". I know people that have done it though....again it comes down to how much money and/or status you have. You could also try to join social groups where everyone has "insta friends" like a local "yacht club" . No it is not expensive at all but they have a waiting list and if you like swimming in a crappy pool and don't mind dealing with a few "tudes"...it's not bad . Hey, it's great if you're cheap. You can meet all your insta friends there and everyone buys their own drinks and food and you avoid messing up your own home and spending all that money entertaining. If you don't have a beautiful backyard and pool, you really don't need one , because your kids can just use the clubs sub par facilities saving you ...well about 100,000 g's over the course of about 10 years (those of you that have 40 ft igp's with hot tub, pond, fountains, heater, nice landscaping etc. hear me... does the word Utility Bill ring a bell?)

However....if you still just HAVE to be in South Sayville...it is a nice seaside town, especially if you don't have to worry about the kid crap and social BS.

Our house will be on the market is a few short years. If you happen to know anything about old homes, it is an I.H. Green (architect) Home , they are a find/well built and ours is on 1/2 acre, new kit with the granite, blah , blah etc., heated free form IGSP, igs, landscaping . It's worth putting your pennies away and waiting for this one. It's easy to build the house you want , finding a gem of a location like this.....not so much. If South Sayville doesn't jazz you , you could always purchase one of those McMansions right near Sunrise Highway in Sayville for over a million bucks. Bayport and Oakdale are also nice.....but no quaint towns of their own, so you'll always be in Sayville anyway. If you live in Oakdale ....you're kids will eventually be in a big high school...nice facilities, tough crowd , but at least it's diversified. No busing in Bayport , unless you live near Patchogue (this REALLY bugs the Bayportians.... you know..."How dare they bus those "Patchogue" kids!!!
PS
Who knew it would all become so Elitist?? (even the people living in these little "Baymen's Cottages" that they paid 100 g for a while back, think they're all that)
I have 5 words for the South Sayville Elitists......"Take a ride to Muttontown"

Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
West Islip, Babylon, Brightwaters, West Bay Shore (especially south of Montauk Highway).

Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM

17 posts, read 45,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILWAVSURFER View Post
South Sayville Soundoff ? ( A Southshore,NY , Seaside Town)

Posted 08-09-2009 at 04:53 PM by LILWAVSURFER
saville south
A concern for some.....Flood insurance do you need it? Depends on where you live . I'm very closeto the bay and it is not considered a flood zone. If you have kids and they are good athletes, students, musicians, wear Abercrombie etc. they will fare far better in Sayville schools than if you just have Joe average "non ass kissing" kids like mine. (Well, my kids are cool, individual thinkers that don't "follow what everybody else is doing" , kinda like their parents). If you have special needs kids DO NOT MOVE TO SAYVILLE. (I'm a Special Educator of over 20 years and know) . Staff and Administration cater to all the "golden children". They have little clue on how to deal with adversity, diversity and possess little diplomacy. ( Many of them sort of have "tudes" too.....with all those vacations they should be cool and down to earth not so "affected" , I mean really ... a teacher's salary is decent ....but....... you ain't no big business people !!)A lot of the students also treat the non jocks poorly. Not alot of diversity here , been here over 10 years and it still hasn't changed. So, your kids will go into culture shock in the real world should they ever leave Sayville/ Bayport/Oakdale.
South Sayville used to be much more of a "middle of the road " type area years ago. Hopefully, you don't have to keep up with the Jones' (you know...the wife usually plays tennis , doesn't work, has a housekeeper, the husband plays golf, have a boat , landscaper,) Still scratching my head as far as how the retired firemen and teachers who are the only breadwinners in the house can afford it all..........hmmmmmmm.
Oh and you'll also have that vacation home of course. As a parent you are probably going to be very busy running your kids to at least 3 sports activities, dance, music, etc. (because everyone will talk about how many activities their kids are involved in and how good they are at everything and you'll have to make sure you are right there with them).
If you're kids just aren't cutting the mustard by the time they are 1/2 way through the middle school, you'll cry, wanna call the nasty kids' parents to get some help, support, backup,or at least empathy but you can't and won't. I've learned that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so the parents won't care that their kids are hurtful and mean to others. Half of these parents are still "stuck in high school mentality mode". Trying to be popular, part of the "in crowd" , And yes, your kid will be exposed to a lot of sex,(unfortunately no good rock n roll) drinking and a fair amount of drugs (don't listen to those people who say "not in our town" .....their "Jock itch kids are usually the biggest offenders and suppliers....know it first hand) The parents tell their kids not to drink and drive yet , they do it all the time, I think the cops here should be more worried about the parents!!! Those kids are getting their "scripts" from somewhere.
Hence...You ride it out. Some people will pull their kids out og the SHS and send them to A nice Catholic HS, and ask "is this why we pay over $15G in taxes???") I'm sure this stuff happens everywhere, but if you don't have money to burn , you can be exposed to it elsewhere at a more "discounted" price. Crime happens here too. It usually ends up being some kid from the high school that everyone knows , contrary to what the Sayvillites may state.

If you've moved here from somewhere else be prepared to meet mostly people that grew up here or married someone from here (or Bayport, Oakdale, EI Blue Point) They already have a plethora of friends so it may be tough to break into the " inner circle". I know people that have done it though....again it comes down to how much money and/or status you have. You could also try to join social groups where everyone has "insta friends" like a local "yacht club" . No it is not expensive at all but they have a waiting list and if you like swimming in a crappy pool and don't mind dealing with a few "tudes"...it's not bad . Hey, it's great if you're cheap. You can meet all your insta friends there and everyone buys their own drinks and food and you avoid messing up your own home and spending all that money entertaining. If you don't have a beautiful backyard and pool, you really don't need one , because your kids can just use the clubs sub par facilities saving you ...well about 100,000 g's over the course of about 10 years (those of you that have 40 ft igp's with hot tub, pond, fountains, heater, nice landscaping etc. hear me... does the word Utility Bill ring a bell?)

However....if you still just HAVE to be in South Sayville...it is a nice seaside town, especially if you don't have to worry about the kid crap and social BS.

Our house will be on the market is a few short years. If you happen to know anything about old homes, it is an I.H. Green (architect) Home , they are a find/well built and ours is on 1/2 acre, new kit with the granite, blah , blah etc., heated free form IGSP, igs, landscaping . It's worth putting your pennies away and waiting for this one. It's easy to build the house you want , finding a gem of a location like this.....not so much. If South Sayville doesn't jazz you , you could always purchase one of those McMansions right near Sunrise Highway in Sayville for over a million bucks. Bayport and Oakdale are also nice.....but no quaint towns of their own, so you'll always be in Sayville anyway. If you live in Oakdale ....you're kids will eventually be in a big high school...nice facilities, tough crowd , but at least it's diversified. No busing in Bayport , unless you live near Patchogue (this REALLY bugs the Bayportians.... you know..."How dare they bus those "Patchogue" kids!!!
PS
Who knew it would all become so Elitist?? (even the people living in these little "Baymen's Cottages" that they paid 100 g for a while back, think they're all that)
I have 5 words for the South Sayville Elitists......"Take a ride to Muttontown"
Thanks for the objective reply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island