Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 12:48 PM

27 posts, read 94,120 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with these two preschool programs? I am trying to find a program suitable for my son, and would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 AM

185 posts, read 1,215,784 times
The montessori schools have an excellent reputation. However, after I toured and met with schools in the same area, I chose Miss Sue's in plainview. I was very impressed with their facility and program and most importantly the nurturing that the teachers give. good luck

Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
My wife, a teacher, is not a big fan of the Montessori way of teaching. She taught it herself and was not happy. I can ask her why if you need more input.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM

27 posts, read 94,120 times
Yes, could you please? I am looking for a preschool for my children in the Dix Hills area and was interested in the Montessori schools because I was told they were very good. However, after speaking to someone at West Hills, we've decided to cross that one off our list. It's a bit too chichi for us. Plus tuition was over 10k per child.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,292 times
Default Love of Learning Montessori is excellent

My wife and I are very involved and interested in our children's education. All three of our kids go to Love Of Learning Montessori. I can't say enough about how excellent it is.

The teachers let the kids learn at their own pace without stressing them, yet all of my kids are 1 to 2 years ahead of their peers in public schools. The classrooms are mixed ages which makes it easier to go faster in one subject and slower in another subject without any stigma or pressure either way.

The philosophy is that children have a natural desire and hunger to learn, but each child will "need" to learn different things at different times when they are ready for it. The teachers take advantage of those opportunities when a child is most prepared to learn a skill. Of course they teach reading, writing, math, science, etc but within each topic they bring in a host of other disciplines when the child is ready for it.

Of course this ideal wouldn't be possible without excellent, caring, involved teachers and very small classes, which Love Of Learning has.

Also the campus is beautiful. The classrooms are cabins in a forest by the beach. The kids take nature walks and identify mussels and clams for science. I wish I could have gone there when I was a kid.

Sorry if this sounds like an advertisment, but I am just so happy with it I tell anyone who will listen. We specifically moved into a great school district because that is our most important criteria. But after our kids went to pre-school at Love Of Learning we decided to keep them there as long as we could.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
I live in the Dix Hills/ Melville area and many of the temples and churches have great preschools that really make them kindergarten ready. My children attended and they were prepared. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 5,607 times
List of Montessori Schools in Huntington, Melville, Dix Hiils, Northport, Centerport, Commack Area
Sorry if I omitted a school it was not intentional

Love of Learning Centerport and Deer Park/Dix Hills
Huntington Montessori South Huntington
West Hills Montessori Melville
The Montessori Experience Center Commack
JKL Montessori Commack
Young Minds at Work East Northport
Northport Preschool (Montessori based) Northport

Very important to visit each school and determine which school will be most beneficial for your child.
Not all schools are rigid or uncreative, and not all may follow Montessori principles.

What is key for preschool education: learning at each individual child's pace, hands on learning, social skills, creativity/the arts, physical activity/nature, loving/nurturing environment, respect for self/others, acceptance of all people/peace education, concentration, self discipline, self control, cooperation,
community, academics...letter SOUND recognition, phonemes, reading 3 letter words, syllables, etc. math, science, geography. I could mention more!!

Children birth - 6years have an absorbant mind, like a sponge. Their curiosity is natural and needs to be nurtured. Registering for the most local preschool for convenience is not necessarily the right choice.
Most preschools today offer wonderful programs....Some more wonderful than others!!

Happy searching to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island