Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 AM

35 posts, read 472,869 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a new house. We have our home insurance with Liberty Mutual. Yesterday we got a call from one of their surveyors who wants to come to the house to write a report. Is this common? Do we have to say yes? We don't have anything to hide, but I want to know whether this is common. We are first time homebuyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,527 times
I actually have Liberty Mutual for my home insurance. I switch to them when my rates with my old carrier skyrocketed for no reason. Liberty Mutual never asked to visit my home. I would call other insurance companies and ask them if they required a home visit for new policies. Did you ask them whey they need to come to the house?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Wow, someone on the NC forum had the same thing happen with USAA - this is a new one on me. I'm a licensed NY state insurance broker and I've never heard of this till now, although every insurance company will want to inspect the outside of the house, I've never heard of insurance companies wanting to come inside - till now.

The guy on the NC forum was not a 1st time home buyer and went back and forth with USAA and they agreed to drop it - "for now".

As far as hiding anything - like what? You can't hide a pool. You could hide a trampoline. But then when some kid falls off it and breaks their arm, and they go to sue you, Liberty Mutual will say "we sent our inspector out to the house last week, there was no trampoline, we aren't going to cover that claim"....personally I don't think that they would get away with that but it will make your life miserable while you battle it out with them.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 AM

186 posts, read 713,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md565 View Post
We just moved into a new house. We have our home insurance with Liberty Mutual. Yesterday we got a call from one of their surveyors who wants to come to the house to write a report. Is this common? Do we have to say yes? We don't have anything to hide, but I want to know whether this is common. We are first time homebuyers.
It happened to me w/Interboro. They wrote some BS report and told me I had 30 days to fix some exterior items or they would cancel. This was during Jan which, as we all remember, was awful in terms of weather. I wrote them a letter explaining that they were unreasonable and so they didn't cancel me. But this is common...

AAA just started selling insurance, check them out.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
I would make sure the investigator is legit??call the BBB get his credentials checked out.I NEVER HEARD OF THIS ??

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
My girlfriend changed her insurance from Allstate to State Farm last year. One weekend, some guy shows up at the door with a camera and says he is a contractor from State Farm who inspects houses and she should have gotten a call from State Farm about his visit. She never had received a call and I wouldn't let this guy into the house. He had no ID from State Farm
She called the broker and he said that he had forgotten to inform her that an inspector would be visiting and looking at the interior. In any case, they never came back.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
All I have ever heard about is that they send someone to take a photograph of the outside of the house for their own records. This "interior inspection" thing is new to me.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 AM

98 posts, read 775,020 times
Had my house inspected a few years ago....they come to see the electric fuse box and the furnace room....nothing to worry about.

Also they wanted me to install railing at my front steps...called and told them I can't -it would ruin the landscape since I had some trees and bushed along the steps, when they pulled the image in their system, she told me: "yes that's a nice entrance I don't see why they would want to ruin it. hold on....I will talk to the inspector and we'll take care of it for you" -never complained again.

I guess they gotta do some work why taking all this $$$ for the policy.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM

270 posts, read 964,509 times
when we bought our house last year, our homeowners insurance came out to inspect the home. I was told they want to make sure you have enough coverage or don't have too much coverage. Our policy went down after they came to look at our house.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
We were "non-renewed" by Allstate last year and wound up with Narragansett. The had an inspector come to the house. He took interior pictures, measurements, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island