Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 06:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Currently listening to Tim Bishop. Calling the bill imperfect, trying to state it will be clarified in the field, so-to-speak.

Most people on the line are seniors on Medicare.

Not really hearing anything pertinent to the small business crowd.

Talking tax increase for families over 250K and individuals over 200K; increase on Medicare tax 9/10 of a percent on them once over threshold.

Claim to moderate increases in rising health insurance premiums, not guaranteeing holding the line.

Caller asked if by keeping older dependent children on plan will impact the pool or will impact the family's rate only. Lots of talk around the question, no answer.

Dodged question about how some votes were obtained via pork.

Noted that email, phone calls coming into his office post vote are 51% AGAINST the measure! Claims he has to make the best decision for everyone in his district, studied if it would be best or worst for us, and decided it was best for us.

Can they cover pre-existing conditions in adults before 2014? In 6 months creation of catastrophic fund for those with pre-existing condition, people w/ pe conditions can buy from that as a bridge until 2014 comes around.

4 tiers of coverage, levels of service. Allegedly as comprehensive as what we have now.

Illegal aliens will not be able to buy from the tiers.

Illegal aliens (by SCOTUS ruling) will still be treated in ERs.

Con. Bishop states amnesty issue to be addressed soon.

10,200 single, or family plan exceeding $27,500 in cost is subject to Cadillac tax starting in 2018. Thresholds indexed for inflation. All plans to be treated the same, no special favors for the unions. Those deals off the table.

Seniors still able to choose physicians.

Question re: Plan administration, job creation in public and private sector.
How many administration jobs for program? In the 1st district? Unknown in the district. Alleges 4 million jobs created in private sector by businesses hiring in private sector. More healthcare jobs -- more people using the medical profession.

CBO questioned, accused of low-balling. Acknowledges that the CBO scores on past bills have over, under or accurately estimated cost.

Insurance cos will no longer be able to practice recision, no discriminating on pre-e conditions, no life time caps. Ins co not permitted to enter the exchange UNLESS their policies reflect the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 AM

556 posts, read 622,869 times
Just heard Mr Bishop on John Gambling. He cited condition of staffer child as pre existing. He doesn't know the definition of pre existing in NY. He stated that child of staffer has epilipesy and will not be covered at age 18. Unfortunately he is wrong. In NY if you have continuous coverage there are no pre existing conditions.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 PM

64 posts, read 253,310 times
But if that person was in another state, their child might be denied coverage.

I like this new healthcare reform. It makes sense to me.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:43 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,665,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny H View Post
But if that person was in another state, their child might be denied coverage.

I like this new healthcare reform. It makes sense to me.
I also like parts of it but as a whole I doubt it will succeed in it's primary goals of providing quality health care to more individuals and at less cost. My biggest peave is the Federal government should not have the power to force me to enter into a contract with another person or company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island